Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

clipless or clips for knees

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-06, 06:07 PM

Bikes: vintage Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have read both ways that using toe clips and using clipless pedals are better for the knees. Which one seems to be true? Thanks.
Old 12-07-06, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Personally I say that riding platform pedals without clips is teh best for the knees. Allows you the most float.

I really think that people should not have platforms+clips or clipless until they perfect a smooth technique without the on-off mashing motion. The sudden transition of no-power/all-power is harsh, causes lateral figure-8 wobbling of the knees and forcing your feet to not move in order to contain this motion is ludicrous.

Actually, I think the best method for teaching/learning technique is to ride on a bare pedal-spindle. Remove the pedal body completely (or find some old beach-cruisers at college-campus). When you can exert all your leg force smoothly and in-line with the spindle in the correct direction (tangent to crankarm all the way around), then you're ready for clips or clipless pedals. Ever try sprinting out-of-the-saddle, pushing 100% as hard as you can on a bare pedal-spindle?
Old 12-07-06, 07:23 PM
Hazardous biker

Bikes: 2005 Santa Cruz Blur Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Ever try sprinting out-of-the-saddle, pushing 100% as hard as you can on a bare pedal-spindle?
Fos some strange reason this comment reminded me of Mr Miyagi's training in the Karate Kid movie...

RR.
Old 12-07-06, 10:25 PM

Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can you still buy pedals that suit toe clips**********
Old 12-07-06, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Most of the low- to mid-range bikes have platform pedals, so I'm sure the LBSs have them. Mail-order outfits or eBay's got them as well:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=36138&rd=1

Old 12-08-06, 04:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I say that riding platform pedals without clips is teh best for the knees. Allows you the most float.

I really think that people should not have platforms+clips or clipless until they perfect a smooth technique without the on-off mashing motion. The sudden transition of no-power/all-power is harsh, causes lateral figure-8 wobbling of the knees and forcing your feet to not move in order to contain this motion is ludicrous.

Actually, I think the best method for teaching/learning technique is to ride on a bare pedal-spindle. Remove the pedal body completely (or find some old beach-cruisers at college-campus). When you can exert all your leg force smoothly and in-line with the spindle in the correct direction (tangent to crankarm all the way around), then you're ready for clips or clipless pedals. Ever try sprinting out-of-the-saddle, pushing 100% as hard as you can on a bare pedal-spindle?
Thanks for the reply. I also thought this but wasn't for sure.

Now, is it best to try to mimick your foot position on the pedal to match that of your normal walking position? So for me, I walk with a very slight "duck feet" position. I would say that my feet are at about a 3 degree toe outward position. Should I place my feet on the pedals with the same 3 degree position?
Old 12-08-06, 04:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of the low- to mid-range bikes have platform pedals, so I'm sure the LBSs have them. Mail-order outfits or eBay's got them as well:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=36138&rd=1

There doesn't seem to be much teeth on the platform for a shoe grab. How well do these work without toe clips?

Perhaps a bmx type platform would work best with no toe clips??
Old 12-10-06, 02:23 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was just reading "Serious Cycling" last night talking about this...

Both clipless pedals and toe clips can be fine on the knees. Most people need clipless pedals with float, so that the foot can rotate as it goes through the pedal stroke.

It is true that getting the cleats in the right position and the saddle height correct is very important. The knee is the weak joint, and any issues elsewhere will show up in the knee.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 12-20-06, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I rode platform pedals all my life and have had knee problems from skiing injuries. My knees would bother me a bit on long rides. Bought clipless pedals and shoes this year and what a difference. I think they ehlp keep my feet from pronating too much as I ride and therefore less stress on my knees. Of curse there was the learning curve of remembering to clip out when stopping.
Old 12-20-06, 10:52 AM

Bikes: 1990 Trek 850, 2005 Cannondale R1000, 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Hmmm... on the contrary, I would imagine that having clipless would be best, just 'cause you could then distribute the power as evenly as possible through your stroke and therefore decrease the tension on the knee.
Old 12-20-06, 11:18 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Prodigy4299
Hmmm... on the contrary, I would imagine that having clipless would be best, just 'cause you could then distribute the power as evenly as possible through your stroke and therefore decrease the tension on the knee.
+1 Also, one can spin faster such that the work required to move the bike divided by the spin rate results in less force on the knees.

If clipping in creates a knee alignment that causes pain no matter how low the force, it is a problem. Clipless pedals have float and the cleats can be positioned forward and back as well as rotated such that it may be possible to eliminate pain if present. I think experimentation versus theory is the key to find out what works for the individual.