Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old Raleigh

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-03, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Old Raleigh

This bike showed up at my local Salvation Army store today and I couldn't pass it up. It's a Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix. Been sitting around for years somewhere but all parts function and should clean up real well. Decals are excellent.

These pics I found seem to be exactly the same, even the color is identical. I especially liked the "suicide shifter" for the front derailleur, shown on the second page .

https://www.rydjor.com/bikecollection/1955ral.htm
Old 04-17-03, 07:23 PM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
why is it that the only things that show up at
goodwill/salvation army around my neck of the
woods are gas pipe huffys and old Sears
Ted Williams models (and not even the ones
with campy triomphe).
Great find Louis, post pics when you get it
cleaned up.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 04-18-03, 02:43 PM
Lagomorph Demonicus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
wow, thats quite a find!
Planning on keeping it?
Old 04-18-03, 07:12 PM

Yup I know the feeling Marty, I wish I had a dime for all the dry runs I've made. I think I was overdue to find something interesting. This particular store props all their bikes against the front wall/window (it was an old grocery store), it's kind of like a drive- thru to check for any thing new. This is the first time I've stopped the car there this year.

stumpjumper: I'm going to replace all the balls in the hubs, hs, bb, repack and clean up, adjust, etc. Then I want to ride it some, however it is not really my frame size, I ride a 21 inch frame and this is about 22 1/2 inches. I can just barely stand over the top tube. When it is all spanky looking I might see what it is worth. Dunno for sure yet.

Louis
Old 04-19-03, 08:00 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw somebody selling one of those old 'suicide lever' derailleurs on eBay last year-and he got over $200, just for the derailleur setup!
Old 04-27-03, 07:48 AM
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
"This bike showed up at my local Salvation Army store today and I couldn't pass it up."

You'd be kicking yourself if you had, that's for sure. You've found the needle in the haystack there, amigo. 10 speeds, even top line ones, became fairly common in the US during and after the 1970s and they pop up in thrift shops. However, a derailleur bike would have been a rare bird indeed on US roads in the 1950s and for one to make it this long and then go to a thrift shop? I'll find my Masi or Cinelli at Goodwill before another of those Raleighs show up.

Clean it up and hang it on a wall. If you do sell you'll be happy with your return. It won't set your retirement mind but put it on eBay or something with wide coverage and it'll make you . Personally, I'd keep it even if it doesn't quite fit. The money will be spent on something else sooner or later and then it and the bike will be gone .

Congradulations.
Old 05-05-03, 03:11 PM

Update: I'm a world class procrastinator, so far I've proofide-ed the B-15.
It was sooo dry it tried to suck the proofide right out of the can as soon as I popped the lid.

Also got the front wheel cleaned up. The Dunlop rim shines like new, and the hub was still packed with good grease, (somebody took good care of this bike) rim is perfectly true.
Ran out of bearing balls, will have to order some.

Glad to hear those old front shifter/derailleur assemblies are so well in demand, Alex.

Walter, you have given me something to ponder, you make some good points. It would be neat to keep this old baby around.

Thanks all.
Old 06-04-03, 11:25 AM
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
How's the restoration going? Yours is one of the neater vintage bikes to pop up here.
Old 06-07-03, 06:35 PM

Hi Walter, thanks for asking. I've been pretty slack on this project lately, as I'm still waiting for that catalouge to arrive so I can order a new supply of bearing balls (as mentioned on another thread).

Also I've been riding a lot and trying to keep up the #$&$@ grass cutting around here. And, uh...oh, the uh...dog ate my homework.

I mounted the B-15 on one of my other bikes and it is great.

But I haven't forgotten about it. Thanks for your kind words.
Old 07-11-03, 08:26 PM

Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast, 50 miles east of New Orleans
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found a mint-condition, 1956 Conn 88H .547-bore trombone still in the original case in the closet of a bed and breakfast I was staying in in Oberlin, Ohio, and when I asked about it, the owner gave it to me...

...oops! Wrong forum. Sorry.

Seriously, sounds like a great find. Show us a photo.

Condor
Old 07-12-03, 09:29 PM

I wondered where I left that old trombone!

I don't have a digital camera, so for now the link I posted at the top of this thread will have to do. That bike in the picture is exactly like mine.

A buddy of mine says he will take pics for me when I finally get this project finished. Then maybe I can get some pics posted.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forums Roubaix.