Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I know nothing!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I know nothing!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 02:34 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
I know nothing!!

So I come here to you.

I am into mtbs but am about to get my very first road bike. Can you guys tell me anything about it? I have no idea what I am getting other than what you see here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=252159

I'd really like to learn more about it, if you can please enlighten me. Thank you!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 12-12-06, 02:40 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Old steel Treks are wonderful bikes. We here on Cranky and Vintage prefer the ones pre-1984, mostly cause they are hand built and really,really nice-- but there is nothing wrong with yours. Fix it up, ride it, and enjoy.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 12-12-06, 02:42 PM

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Sui, here's a pretty good place to get started:

https://www.vintage-trek.com/

A friend of mine has a 560 of about the same vintage as yours. It looks like it sports the same components as yours, probably the main difference in the two models is the frame material.
Keep it lubed and tuned and it should serve you many years of good riding.

Anything in particular you need to know about it?
Old 12-12-06, 02:47 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Hi SBW. Welcome to C&V, my hide away from Foo and Roadie forum.

"So youre getting a vintage road bike..."

First off, a vintage Trek is a great bike. The 85 Trek 460 specs state it was built with T-1 chrome-moly (I'll let someone else fill in who made it, but I think it may have been TrueTemper, in any case, good stuff).

You'll have 700c wheels which is good so you've got your pick of tires and even wheel upgrades down the road should you wish it. Many lower end (and even some higher end) road bikes of the age came with 27" wheels which makes finding high performance tires for them now more difficult.

SunTour was near its peak in the mid-80's and the Cyclone derailleurs should function very well for their age. You will have friction downtube shifters. Is not difficult to shift with friction downtubes, but it does take some practice and some skill to do it well.

I would make sure your LBS replaces the brake pads. At 20+ years old now they are most certainly hard and I'm sure as a mtb rider you can appriciate the need for good brakes. The Dia-Compe brakes are going to be what's called single-pivot style. Many people still like this type best, but more designed dual pivot brakes can provide stronger braking.

I'm not sure how many speeds this Trek came equipped with. At the time I believe 6speed is fairly likely. With the current wheels you can equip most 5, 6 or 7speed freewheels. With new wheels, 8, 9 or even 10speed is possible (though will require additional part upgrades).

Are there any particular questions or concerns you might have with the bike that you want/need answered?
Old 12-12-06, 02:50 PM
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone
Old steel Treks are wonderful bikes. We here on Cranky and Vintage prefer the ones pre-1984, mostly cause they are hand built and really,really nice-- but there is nothing wrong with yours. Fix it up, ride it, and enjoy.
Really? I didn't know they didn't hand build Treks in 1985.

Sui, that bike was considered a racing frame. That doesn't mean it can't be comfortable to ride though. I just finished building a 1985 Trek 520 so feel free to PM me if you need any advise on how to set it up.
Old 12-12-06, 02:53 PM
Homey

Thanks for the replies so far!

Well, lets see. The bike is coming from a good friend so it is special mainly because of that. Someone said I should not spend money on it, because to get tires, tape, a tune up a saddle and maybe wheels and chain I could have gotten a newer low end bike.

The wheels that are coming with it may need a new cogset. Don't really need a saddle, just that the original owner said I might do a better with a womens specific.

I was told by someone at work that the bike isn't worth spending the money on. (But to me it is, simply because of where it came from).

I was told it was an entry level bike into the racing series? But I was also told it was just a run of the mill bike. I really know nothing. Sorry.

edit: I was typing this and posted before I saw Cuda's and Marineer's posts. Thank you!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 12-12-06, 02:58 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You mean Michigander isn't going to do the tires/retaping/tune up/wheels/new chain for you?! Send it back!

Just kidding. Why listen to people at work knock your ride? It's not their bike, it's not from their friend, and could they be just a little jealous that you are getting a bike and they are not?

You'll enjoy the bike.

But you'll have to revise the boingy things.

East Hill
Old 12-12-06, 02:59 PM
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Most of us here would disagree strongly about a vintage bike not being worthy of fixing up.

I think from the discription the bike is in great shape. All you will probably need to do is a few inexpensive changes to make it comfortable for you to ride.
Old 12-12-06, 03:11 PM
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations Siu! You will love it. Welcome to the fold...

It's quite easy to join us...but you can never leave!

無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持
Old 12-12-06, 03:16 PM
*****es love tarck

Bikes: so many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything you put into it you can likely get back out of it if you ever sell it. Besides, what kind of newer low end bike could you get for the cost of tires, tape, a tune up a saddle and maybe wheels and chain? No kind, thats what. Any used newer low end bike is going to cost 300+, you'll get that done for much less if you do the work yourself. Don't buy new wheels unless you really need them, just fix those up if need be.
Old 12-12-06, 03:16 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

SBW:

My Barracuda Mk.I was built from a frame lower end than yours:

If I listened to guys on the road forum or like your coworker I wouldn't have:

- Spent 6-weeks painting it.
- Had custom decals made for it.
- Hunted for weeks on ebay for parts for it.
- Completely changed groups in the middle of a build when I found the Golden Arrow group
- Put almost 800mi on it in a year's time and just sat waiting to save for a new road bike - and enjoying each and every pedal turn.

First and foremost make sure the bike fits you. Road bike fit is even more important than mtb fit (in my not so professional opinion), esp with your lower back problems. As you can see from the photo above I have this bike setup fairly "upright". I use it for longer slower rides and even with the heavy steel frame it rides like a dream. You can also see that I have the brake levers situated higher up on the bar than the stock photos of the Trek 460 that Michigander posted in the Foo thread. Your LBS should be able to help you get things fitted to you.

As far as "run of the mill", I'd beg to differ. Probably someone who's had the name "trek" tainted in their view by the flood of modern examples. Sure, the 460 wasn't Trek's top of the line racing frame. But it is still worth riding, and equipping in any way you see fit.
Old 12-12-06, 04:01 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

"Really? I didn't know they didn't hand build Treks in 1985."

By then they had put in an automatic brazing system and automated other parts of their assembly line. Details are on the vintage Trek site, I thinks on the timeline. Some folks think the high end were still handbuilt at that period. The bike pictured is not high end. It's at the lower end of the Trek line, which makes it the equivalent of many other companies high end
. They're great bikes, I had a 560, a 330, and a 720 post 84 and I liked them all. But I've got a 1980 410, and I love it. Of course, it's probably the aesthetic part of my knowledge (hahhah) putting a false value on the bike. I've also had a 1982 710, and it was one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever found. Unfortunately, it was a midget like 52cm. Bah. Oh yeah, and a 84 620 as well. And a 1984 850 mountain bike, too. And some I probably forgot. I've never seen a steel lugged Trek I didn't like. Oh yeah, I've got a too small 1980 410 in the house right now too. Geez, I've had a bunch of these things pass thru my hands.

Old 12-12-06, 04:16 PM
Homey

Originally Posted by Poguemahone
Some folks think the high end were still handbuilt at that period. The bike pictured is not high end. It's at the lower end of the Trek line, which makes it the equivalent of many other companies high end

I still like it, though.
Old 12-12-06, 04:18 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind

I still like it, though.
And you should!
Old 12-12-06, 04:23 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

"I still like it, though. "

Like I said, it is a very nice bike. I'll take it if you decide it's not for you. Alas, it is prolly too small for me. You'll like it.

The lower end Treks are pretty good. Early on, one big difference was the tubing they used; in ascending price, it was Ishiwata, Reynolds 531, and Columbus. The Ishiwata frames were cheapest, but many riders felt the Ishiwata was as good or better than the other two, and the bikes bargins.

By the time of your bike, there was more difference between models-- geometry, etc..

Old 12-12-06, 04:28 PM
Homey

So my frame is T-1? What is that?
Old 12-12-06, 07:26 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

I still like it, though.
Siu,

That's a decent bike, and in a hot bike market such as where you live will bring at least $200 on CL if you were to sell it. If it fits you and you like riding it, it is definitely worth spending money on.

I live in the same general area as you, so if you need to put it on a stand and do some work drop me a PM. I've got most every tool necessary to wrench on that bike, and can show you how to change cables and stuff if you like.

S. J. Perelman
Old 12-12-06, 07:53 PM
Homey

Wow really? I would love to learn and it would save me some dollar signs!
Old 12-12-06, 08:39 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Siu,

That's a decent bike, and in a hot bike market such as where you live will bring at least $200 on CL if you were to sell it.
Thats what I like about northern california. When I rode a relatives GT through SF I got an offer of a grand for it. Around here, if someone mentioned spending a grand on a bike 9 out of 10 people would look at you like you should be sent to an insane asylum.
Old 12-12-06, 08:41 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Siu,

You know when I said I knew some people who were local and could hook you up? Bigbossman was one of them.

I'm pretty sure I have a ladies' model saddle here that I don't need. It is sleek, and in good condition, and I found it quite comfortable until that little voice told me I should get a men's saddle. If you don't like the one that's on your new ride, let me know. Shipping can be arranged.

Cheers,

Z
Old 12-12-06, 08:56 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Yes - really. Mostly because you were one of only two folks out of all my "friends" here that bothered to send me a birthday card.

Seriously, I've got a stand, all the tools, a pile of parts, and a fair bit of bike mechanic experience putting all my garage sale wrecks back together. I can pretty much show you how to do any work on that bike that it would likely need.

And I'm mobile with it, in case you'd be more comfortable meeting at a neutral spot.

S. J. Perelman
Old 12-13-06, 03:33 AM
Unique Vintage Steel

I've seen and heard about a lot of bossman's garage sale bikes and how he's gotten them cleaned up and turned around. I think he's being a bit modest with that "fair bit" bit. No doubt he can get the Trek tuned and ready to roll for you in no time. And learning to do a little wrenching on the bike yourself can go a long way in keeping in on the road too.
Old 12-13-06, 08:51 AM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Poguemahone:
According to one of the builders at Trek during that particular era the high end
were still handmade (770, and 170 for sure).

SBW, welcome to Cranky&Vintage!

I think you'll find your "low end" (heavy sarcasm) Trek will ride better than most
entry to mid level Alu bikes currently being sold. Sure you won't have as many gears
but honestly, do you really need 20 gear combos on the road? Didn't think so.
If there's anything you need to know about your trek, and we can't answer it here
email Skip at Vintage Trek, he's a great guy.
T1 is True Temper Chrome Moly tubing (good stuff).
The serial number is on the top of the bottom bracket (forget which side) next to
the crank arms. if you can't make it out use paper and do a pencil rubbing, it should
lift the number right off. If you get the Number let me know, I can help pin down exactly
when it was built (or so can Skip and tell you more info on your bike).

Entry level Race series, but definitely not an Entry Level Bike.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 12-13-06, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Sui,

As an owner and rider of a 1987 Trek 560 Pro Series, I think that once the bike is fit to you, you will enjoy it. I have ridden mine for over 15 years with very little want to buy a newer bike.

I bought mine from a friend 16 years ago who just recently passed away, so I understand your attachment to the bike.

Hope you have many wonderful years, and miles, on your Trek.

Morgolf
Old 12-13-06, 01:14 PM
Solo Rider, always DFL

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just fixed up my old bike after it sat for a bunch of years, so that I could commute and run errands without worrying about theft as much. It is definitely worth your while to get it sorted out, and will give you a chance to get used to road bikes in general.

I have my old Schwinn lightweight back rolling now, my girlfriend pseudo-inherited one from the same era as mine and LOVES it as well.

They are also a lot less finicky to figure out mechanically than the newer gear. It's easy to replace cables on friction shifters, less so on indexed brifters (IMHO.)

Plus, people on C&V are generally really relaxed and helpful... big plus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.