Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Picking a time to head out

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-03, 02:00 AM
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anyone have a preference to when they head off on these long hauls? I know if you want to hike the Apelachian Trail it is reccommended that you start in Georgia and go north at the end of March to mid May, the heat isn't quite as bad, and you arrive in time for fall in Maine. Is there something similar to crossing the country?

I was looking at doing an upper tier of the US from Saint Paul to Washington State, then south. The idea at the moment is to do the four corners. This is still in the planning stages.
Old 04-20-03, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Well, if you don't like winter, don't be all leavin' in late November!!!

Seriously, it depends on what kind of weather you like. If you like cooler weather, consider now as a good time to do it, or early September. If you like it hot, anytime between June and late August will do.

How long are you planning to do this for?

K

Old 04-21-03, 09:11 PM
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Leave right now, or in June at the latest!

On our last cross-country ride (by car with the family), I was surprised to see that Idaho and Montana were really really hot in July. On the Pacific Coast, however, you'll be OK all Summer.

BTW, if you go now, rather than in September, you'll enjoy more sunlight. Just make sure mountain passes will be clear of snow, especially if you plan "detours" in higher altitudes.

As for the Southern section (L.A. or San Diego to Texas), do it as late as you can, while avoiding snow. Should that be October or November?
Old 04-27-03, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a midwest tour in June once and never will again. It seemed we battled severe thunderstorms nightly culminating in a sighting of a tornado with nowhere to hide. Thank God it was not heading directly toward us. Man talk about scared! There was junk the size of automobiles flying around and me trying to climb up my a$$hole in a ditch with sewer water.
There's no atheists in foxholes or roadside ditches!