Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2-speed Allez Conversion w/pics

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-06, 12:53 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Allez as Road Bike:

- bought a used 2003 Specialized Allez Sport 27 two years ago to get in shape... bike has been a lot of fun and didn't cost an arm and a leg... here's what the bike looked like then after my initial work:

Allez as 2-speed:

- alas, the bottom bracket and cranks finally bit the dust after my meaty hams pounded 'em for 2,000 miles (unknown mileage on bike to begin with)... i've liked my ss/fixie experience on a cheap Dawes over the past year, so i decided to convert the Allez... here's what it looks like now:

- note that i ended up using a Surly tensioner (the new version)... although i found that a 42 chainring and 18 cog worked w/my chain w/no tensioner, i decided i wanted a tad more flexibility than just one speed... riding terrain is flat around here, but some days these old knees want to spin a little faster with less effort...

- the result is that i put two chainrings, a 39 and a 42, up front, recycling the 42 from the old crankset:

- btw, it really sucks that Shimano doesn't make its chainring nuts (on rear of chainring bolts) just a tad shallower - that way, it would be *super* easy to convert the crankset to a single crank... otherwise, the chainring bolts don't hold a single chainring solidly on the spider... (i thought about grinding the nuts or using a spacer - i think bikeman.com sells spacer bolt sets, IIRC)...

- anyhow, i then put two cogs on the freehub, an 18 and a 16, mixing Gusset and Nashbar singlespeed kit spacers:

- i initially did try just a single cog, but the Gusset singlespeed kit spacers with a single cog were too loose on the freehub! BAD!!! i'd be ticked off if i had ordered this kit with the intention on using it on this bike (dunno if the spacers are off on all 9spd Shimano freehubs or not)...

- by using a thin Nashbar spacer, the chainline lines up nicely for the 39/18 or 42/16 combos, and i can easily swap between an easy spin or faster ride with a simple chain move and tensioner readjustment on the trail:

- ditching the extraneous equipment on the bike felt good... but i still kept two brakes and went with a pair of Nashbar oversized in-line levers (which work just fine as standalone levers, btw)...

- hope this helps anyone contemplating a similar setup....

Last edited by linux_author; 12-16-06 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-16-06, 01:35 PM
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.

Bikes: see sig, and others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a lot of thought went into this set up. Nice work.
I have a question about your singleator.
How did you decide to use the "push down" position as opposed to the "push up" position?

And where did you buy it? And how do you know you're getting the "new" version? thanks!
Old 12-16-06, 01:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very unique. so do you have to move the chain by hand each time you want to change gears? with2 chain rings and 2 cogs in back it ends up being a 4 speed. if it were me, i woulda just gone with one chainring in the front and kept multiple gears in the back, but that wouldn't be as original as what you have.
Old 12-16-06, 02:10 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dekalbSTEEL
Looks like a lot of thought went into this set up. Nice work.
I have a question about your singleator.
How did you decide to use the "push down" position as opposed to the "push up" position?

And where did you buy it? And how do you know you're getting the "new" version? thanks!
- tks... seemed like the chainstay, dropout and derailleur hanger angles were in the way of the 'push up' position... got the Surly unit from jensonusa.com (US$37)... the 'older' version of the Surly, AFAIK, kinda looks like Nashbar's tensioner with the single metal chainloop and was machined, not forged... Jenson sells a Singleator 'upgrade' for US$14, which consists of the caged pulley... just pull off the old pulley and slide the new pulley and cage on...

Last edited by linux_author; 12-16-06 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-16-06, 02:12 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnydelnegro
very unique. so do you have to move the chain by hand each time you want to change gears? with2 chain rings and 2 cogs in back it ends up being a 4 speed. if it were me, i woulda just gone with one chainring in the front and kept multiple gears in the back, but that wouldn't be as original as what you have.
- tks... uh, yes, but only a pinkie need get dirty... four speeds would be nice, but as we know, a straight chainline is everything for singlespeeders! so, only two speeds for me...

:-)

Last edited by linux_author; 12-16-06 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-16-06, 02:21 PM
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.

Bikes: see sig, and others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linux_author
- tks... seemed like the chainstay, dropout and derailleur hanger angles were in the way of the 'push up' position... got the Surly unit from jensonusa.com (US$37)... the 'older' version of the Surly, AFAIK, kinda looks like Nashbar's tensioner with the single metal chainloop... Jenson sells a Singleator 'upgrade' for US$14, which consists of the caged pulley... just pull off the old pulley and slide the new pulley and cage on...
thanks for the info. I'm in the process of converting my 03 Allez CR-MO to SS.
Old 12-16-06, 03:12 PM
Geek Extraordinaire

Bikes: Bianchi Advantage Fixed Conversion; Specialized Stumpjumper FS Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a nice looking conversion. Why did you get rid of the drop levers? It would seem that for a bike like yours, the extra hand position would be nice and it would be easier to get to the brakes unless you only ride on the tops.

Sintesi Conversion Serotta Track
Old 12-16-06, 03:18 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sivat
Its a nice looking conversion. Why did you get rid of the drop levers? It would seem that for a bike like yours, the extra hand position would be nice and it would be easier to get to the brakes unless you only ride on the tops.
- tks... dropped the brifters (which were [relatively] new 105s), as it seemed like i didn't need 'em anymore... besides, i like more handlebar real estate... guess i should have put on a bigger bars? and yes, i do seem to ride on the tops more...

p.s. great looking Nishiki!

Last edited by linux_author; 12-16-06 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-16-06, 03:23 PM
Geek Extraordinaire

Bikes: Bianchi Advantage Fixed Conversion; Specialized Stumpjumper FS Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can understand getting rid of the brifters, but I just like the feel of drop levers on long rides. I have a set of older brake levers with no shifters. On the other hand, far be it from me to change what works for you.

Sintesi Conversion Serotta Track
Old 12-16-06, 03:38 PM
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice. That's the same setup that the White Industries Dos freewheel and Dos crankset are supposed to provide, a 2-speed with perfect chainline for each. Nice job.
Old 12-16-06, 04:03 PM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice job. Looks unique enough that everyone'll be asking about your bike now.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 12-16-06, 04:09 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Nice job. Looks unique enough that everyone'll be asking about your bike now.
- tks, but hey, it's only a low-end road bike... this project was done on the cheap, nothing like some of the works-of-art ss/fixie vintage steel rides i've seen posted here [drool!] (and man, those Paul and White Industry components are pricey!)...

Old 12-16-06, 05:20 PM
i am batman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linux_author
- tks, but hey, it's only a low-end road bike... this project was done on the cheap, nothing like some of the works-of-art ss/fixie vintage steel rides i've seen posted here [drool!] (and man, those Paul and White Industry components are pricey!)...

heh, that "low end roadbike" probably cost more than most of the rigs people ride here daily.. even off the shelf. i would personally love to get a 105 roadbike for myself, probably in the spring..

anyways, thats a nice setup you got there. very crafty.
Old 12-16-06, 05:43 PM
Just shy of 400W

Bikes: Cannondale System 6, Klein Palomino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks SOOOOO much better now. Great work.

Old 11-23-08, 10:50 AM

Bikes: 95 Gary Fisher Tassajara, FBIKE folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like how the bike turned out.
very nice!
Old 11-23-08, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I like it!!
Old 11-23-08, 07:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! That looks clean, I'm working on a 2 speed mountain bke set up the same way. I need a few more parts.