Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Racing USA

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Raleigh Racing USA

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-06, 12:38 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Racing USA Prestige, Huffy mountain that I bought in Iraq.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh Racing USA

Hello,
I own a 1985 Raleigh Racing USA Prestige. I only rode it a few times before I had multiple knee surgurgies and its been in storage in storage ever since. Is there a demand for these older bikes out there? I know the technology is changed alot and truthfully I have been out of the loop on cycling over the past 20 years! I am comtemplating on selling it or just keeping and riding it or saving it for my kids. Its pratically like new except some of the rubber has rotted. It even has the original tires on it! I would appreciate some advice from some of you experienced riders out there! I am 43 now, slightly out of shape. Will this frame and wheels hold me up? Or will I find myself sliding down the road leaving DNA everywhere? Whats the value of this bike, or how can I determine it?
Thank you in advance!
Ubbo
jinubbo@yahoo.com
Old 12-17-06, 01:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Generally I think it will be okay. I'm not familiar with that model, but have a Raliegh Team USA from that time. I think the biggest problem will be with getting replacement parts. But if you haven't ridden a lot there shouldn't be any worn parts to replace yet. One thing to consider is the wheel rim material. If it's aluminum, no big problem. If stainless steel, then maybe you might consider up grading them as brakes don't work as well on stainless steel rims when wet. The tires are probably 27" tires and you can still get them, although not as much choice of different tread patterns and materials.

If you plan to ride it, at least have the LBS give it a tune up when replacing the tires. Selling might be harder. There is a demand for old bikes like that for people to convert to fixies, but it's not going to be a high dollar because it's mostly for the frame. I checked eBay's past auctions and they all were after year 2000 models. So I have no idea on price. Yes, technology has changed, but there has been more change in standardization of parts (screw threadings, tube diameters and such). But as far as "dying just because you rode an old bike" goes, remember this. There are people who buy old steel bike frames because they think they are sturdier than new ones.
Old 12-17-06, 03:28 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Racing USA Prestige, Huffy mountain that I bought in Iraq.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You, I think you are right. I am just going to save up some cash and when I get back from Iraq, I will begin riding it. Then when my now 5 year old gets old enough, he can have it and enjoy it. Mine came stock with aluminum wheels, so I guess I am lucky there. Tuning the bike and wheels is easy. I used to work in a LBS when I was a teenager. Working on bikes was always a passion for me.
Thanks for the encouragement. I really didn't want to sell the bike anyway, my wife is *****ing about seeing it hanging in the garage and I never ride it. Since I am deploying soon, she wanted it cash from it!
Old 12-18-06, 09:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I am deploying soon
Be safe, careful and come back soon. If I ever see a guy riding an old Paleigh Prestige in the Tracy area, the beer's on me.
Old 12-18-06, 10:01 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
quality bikes all came with alloy rims by 1985