Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

rider weight limits on bike frames

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-06, 03:02 PM
merckxxx

Bikes: Colnago ARTE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

anyone know where I can get weight limit specifications for bikes.. I am looking for performance bike but I am @215lbs.. I am dropping weight.. Most performance bikes are designed around riders in the 130 / 170lb class. That being said I know bikes are built stong but reason tells me a performance bike designed like that will not perform characteristically with a 220 lb clyde on it (like me).

I want performance but I am finding manufacturers and especially dealers do not want to give up weight limit info.. thaey want to swell.

I had a real weird ride on a Merlin. that felt like I was riding a noodle.. It was scary as hell...

I wonder about CADD9 thin walled aluminum (Iam riding a older cannondale now)..

can anyone here provide me with a resource?

Thanks

Merckxxx
Old 12-27-06, 03:24 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I would think you'd do better looking at strong and light wheels and not worry so much about the frame - you'll pick up more speed on a light wheelset. At 215 you do have a wide range of options! Mavic Open Pros are used a lot round these parts and are pretty bomb proof. Except for Far Horizon who had one blow up on him.

I looked around, couldn't find anything.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 12-27-06, 03:39 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll have to dig deep to find many rider weight limits on frames. My Scott CR1 has a 'published' 110Kg limit that I found only after crawling around in the depths of their fine print in the on-line manual.

For a lot of bike stuff there seems to be two weight limits: 180lbs & 250 lbs. The 180 stuff is generally uber light stuff and the 250 seems as good a ballpark limit for most road cyclists' gear as any. If you're looking for rules of thumb to consider your cycling products, you may wish to start there.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 12-28-06, 08:05 AM
merckxxx

Bikes: Colnago ARTE

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thnaks guys.. I have Open Pros on my old cannondale and they have been great.. I have about 15k on them from yeas past and just broke my first spoke yesterday...
Old 12-28-06, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Hi,
you will find a few frames are wimpy, and obviously you should avoid them.
Try calling the company when you are interested in a bike. Cannondale is well known for always making a couple really rugged bikes; you just need to find out which models suit you.

I have a Gunnar ( made by Waterford ) and it does fine. The nice thing about Waterford is that it's semi-custom. They will pick the tubes to match your size, strength, and style of riding.

Another really nice choice for a big guy is the Habanero road bike.
https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/habanero.html

www.habcycles.com