Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are you a lonely guy/gal when it comes to riding?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: When you take a ride, it is usually alone, in a pair, or a group?
All or nearly all of the time I ride alone
52.47%
I ride alone much of the time (60%-80%)
28.71%
I usually ride with one other person
6.59%
I usually ride in a group of 3 or more
3.29%
I split my time riding alone, with another person, or in a group
8.94%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 12:07 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Are you a lonely guy/gal? A la the funny Steve Martin movie. At least when you ride.

Do you ride alone all or most of the time?

And regardless of your answer, do you prefer to ride alone, with another person, or in groups?
Old 12-28-06, 12:16 AM

Bikes: '73 Frejus TdF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer riding alone unless the ride is a "social" event. Most of the time when I ride it is for exercise and I prefer to do that alone.
Old 12-28-06, 12:54 AM
sdr
Misanthropic Miscreant

Bikes: Gary Fisher Nirvana S--Specialized Crosstrail Limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i actually prefer to ride alone. on those occasions that i do ride with someone else it's usually only with one other friend.

i ride for the feeling of total freedom that cycling affords. riding in a group, or with someone else, impinges upon that sense of freedom.
Old 12-28-06, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
After 10~ years of riding with a club, leading rides etc. I grew tired of my loss of freedom and dropped out. That was about ten years ago. Except for an occasional invitational ride and 4 cross state rides, I've been riding alone since.

Lately I find myself wishing I could find some riding partners to share my rides with. Perhaps I'm mellowing with age, I can't explain why I've changed.
Old 12-28-06, 01:53 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I normally ride with 2 others but it must be me getting Grumpy. I am not enjoying riding with them any more. Offroad is not wise as a loner, but On the road- I prefer to keep my own pace completely and not wait for the group to reform. I am doing more road riding and I stay back with the others to be sociable. I do not get a workout so Road riding will be done Solo in future. Offroad- I have a fit one that disappears off into the distance and then asks- "What Kept You"? Myself and the other rider are the same pace. I always over extend my self trying to keep the pace up for the first 30 miles offroad and then finish up waiting for the Fast rider for the last 10 miles. Not an enjoyable way to ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-28-06, 02:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where I go, I must go alone...
Old 12-28-06, 03:01 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Whenever I am on the bike , I am not alone. Have my bike to keep me company , along with whomever I meet in route. I voted I split my time with club rides and going solo.
Old 12-28-06, 03:30 AM
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia

Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I go out for a spin I choose to ride solo, but that does not mean I am lonely, just that I have a reason or that it is a good time for me to go out.

On longer trips I go solo too. I can't find a partner who wants to go off for months at a time.

But if I wish to ride in a group there are the social runs with the club on Sundays and Thursdays,

george
Old 12-28-06, 03:46 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alone.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 12-28-06, 03:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried riding with a partner and with a group, but I was always relieved when the ride ended. When I ride alone, I'm usually disappointed the ride is over.

So, I ride alone!
Old 12-28-06, 04:33 AM
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a very rare day when I ride with anyone else. I have never been able to find someone that matches my skill. I am either to slow for them, or the opposite occurs. Now that my wife has a recumbent, I am looking forward to the day when she will be able to do the same distances that I do. I really don't care that she is not up to my skill level yet, I just like being out with her
Old 12-28-06, 05:11 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
[QUOTE=jibi]If I go out for a spin I choose to ride solo, but that does not mean I am lonely, just that I have a reason or that it is a good time for me to go out.

On longer trips I go solo too. I can't find a partner who wants to go off for months at a time.
What I wish I could find, someone who likes to do club rides at night. I have three lites, good lights. Offered to share them with fellow club riders. During the summer , when it is hot, I'd prefer to ride at nite. No takers, it seems, so far. Think at nite, I feel safer in group rides.
Old 12-28-06, 05:47 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
I ride almost every day and if people want to go along, I enjoy their company. If not, I go solo. This time of year, I solo a lot due to the weather but still manage at least 1-2 group rides a week. In the Summer, I ride group rides 5 days out of 7.

So, given the above, my poll answer if I voted would have been somewhere between #1 and 2.

Old 12-28-06, 06:00 AM
tly

Bikes: Cannondale T700 Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy riding with others occasionally and have a couple of friends that I ride with but the bulk of the time I ride alone and like it that way.
Old 12-28-06, 06:26 AM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For years my favorite exercise was racquetball which requires a court, a schedule, partners and the like. After a knee replacement, the doctor recommended a less stressful pursuit. I now find that biking frees me from all that location, scheduling, finding partners, etc. That is one of the great joys of biking--me and the Cannondale and the road/path. Now if it weren't for the damned wind, life would be perfect. Besides, the folks on this forum tend to be over-the-hill geezers (and geezerettes) who are set in their ways....making it difficult finding someone who will put up with our odd habits.
Old 12-28-06, 06:45 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Alone, generally.

But, I do lead group rides weekly during "the season." They are generally short (20 miles or less), once a week.

And I do ride with my wife. She generally rides about 5 miles with me and then turns around and I keep on riding.

I did find a "compatible" riding partner this summer, and we did a couple of rides together. He is 73yo, and is about the same speed and endurance. We did a 50 miler together.
Old 12-28-06, 06:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer to be alone, with my bike and my thoughts. It's very meditative.
Old 12-28-06, 07:11 AM
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tly
I enjoy riding with others occasionally and have a couple of friends that I ride with but the bulk of the time I ride alone and like it that way.
+1
Old 12-28-06, 07:28 AM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride Alone, and even then it sometimes seems crowded.
Old 12-28-06, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alone or with son. Occasionally with Lovey but it's hard to get her to go.
Old 12-28-06, 07:48 AM
Hwy 40 Blue

Bikes: A Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe and a Trek hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer to ride alone, but occasionally I ride with a friend. When I'm alone I can do exactly the ride I wish to do, pacewise, route-wise, everything.
Old 12-28-06, 07:50 AM

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Until she was sidelined by an injury I rode with my wife. Last summer it was mostly alone. I'm hopeful that she will be back in the saddle again for the coming season!
Old 12-28-06, 07:55 AM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride alone and like it. I don't have to worry about keeping up or others falling behind and waiting for them. I can change my route and distance without checking first with anyone. I used to ride with a group of friends years ago when I lived in California and we were all pretty well in sync with where we went and how fast we went. But after moving back to Wisconsin and changing my reasons for cycling, I enjoy the solitude of riding by myself.
Old 12-28-06, 08:08 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride about 90% of the time with someone. My buddy Bill and I ride together most of the time and we are well matched. I know I have ridden on some days I may have stayed in because Bill was waiting. On weekends we will ride with a 40+ rider A group and even if I go out solo on Sat or Sun there are 3-4 30+ groups and many smaller 2-4 rider groups that ride in my area so I can almost always jump in. The groups are quite mixed, there is one big Columbian group we call the cartel, they are quite a trip to ride with, vaya, vaya, rapido, rapido

2013 Noah RS
Old 12-28-06, 08:19 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really don't have a preference as I do several types of rides. I do 2-3 weekly club rides and ride solo in a nearby hilly reserve or country roads. During the summer months I help lead a weekly ride for the local parks.

I also enjoy riding in club sponsored rides and charity rides. I travelled to Philadelphia this past summer to do a LiveStrong ride and hope to do it again in 2007.

Being female, I feel a little safer riding with someone rather than being out there alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.