Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

How hard to disassemble a cog?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

How hard to disassemble a cog?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
How hard to disassemble a hub? Reanodize?

I have a set of IRO hubs that are black. I changed my mind, I now want them in silver. That basically means tearing apart my wheels and taking the hubs down to the local polisher and anodizer shops (strip, polish, re-anodize). I already did this with my Miche seatpost and it looks pimp.

Has anyone taken them apart? How hard is it, and does it require special tools? When I'm done, can I re-use my old spokes, or is it time to give 'em up for toast and get different ones to re-build the wheel?

Oh yeah, is this even advisable? Any weird problems I'll cause? Thanks...

Last edited by schnee; 12-28-06 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Wrong term used in title
Old 12-28-06, 04:09 AM
:jarckass:

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It would be cheaper to buy new silver IRO hubs and just sell the black ones.
Old 12-28-06, 04:22 AM
thunder in your heart.

Bikes: 5 bikes of various stature.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suppose this depends on what type of rims you've got... needing an "upgrade"?
Old 12-28-06, 05:31 AM
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's doable and you can reuse your spokes, if you can sort them into 4 groups and relace them the same way they were. Tools needed: Lockring wrench, spoke wrench, wheelbuilding knowledge, tyre lever, patience.
I still say don't do it unless you enjoy doing bike mechanics. Sell the wheels and buy new ones if you really want shiny hubs.
Old 12-28-06, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
The title of you thread is about disassembling a "cog". But your question is about disassembling a wheel. I don't mean to offend, but your confusion, not to mention your very nieve questions about wheel dissasembly, indicates to me that you lack the experience to rebuild your wheel safely. If you really want to disassemble your wheels and properly rebuild them you are going to need to spend even more money on a wheelbuilding book, tensiometer, truing stand, spoke prep, and spoke wrenches. Moreover, it would be wise to dig up and old wheel that you could use for practice. And its going to take some time, probably days, to read, practice, and rebuild your wheels. Don't attempt to rebuild your first set of wheels without the right equipment (especially a tensiometer). that would be like working in the dark, and you will end up with poorly built wheels. It simply isn't worth it if your only motivation is to change the color of your budget hubs. You are much better off just getting new wheels and selling your old ones...or better yet just ride what you have and stop nitpicking about how it looks. No one really cares...trust me.

Last edited by mihlbach; 12-28-06 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-28-06, 07:20 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by deathhare
It would be cheaper to buy new silver IRO hubs and just sell the black ones.
I'll go a step farther and just say to buy new wheels from iro with silver hubs raher than replacing just the sliver hubs..use your black hubbed wheelset as a spare, build a beater, or trade/sell it.
Old 12-28-06, 07:23 AM
:jarckass:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BostonFixed
I'll go a step farther and just say to buy new wheels from iro with silver hubs raher than replacing just the sliver hubs..use your black hubbed wheelset as a spare, build a beater, or trade/sell it.
agreed.
Disassembling the wheels to have a set of average hubs polished is rather ridiculous. Do like BostonFixed said then youll have zero down time as well.
Old 12-28-06, 08:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
just ride what you have and stop nitpicking about how it looks. No one really cares...trust me.
Damn, this forum is redundant then
Old 12-28-06, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
The title of you thread is about disassembling a "cog". But your question is about disassembling a wheel. I don't mean to offend, but your confusion, not to mention your very nieve questions about wheel dissasembly, indicates to me that you lack the experience to rebuild your wheel safely.
No, this forum not allowing you to edit the post title sucks, especially when you post late when you're falling asleep.

I never mentioned doing it myself. I would pay my LBS.

Sounds like the 'sell/replace' is the way to go, but that's not cheap.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-28-06, 09:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, going to the LBS is definitely pointless. I'm pretty sure they'd charge you more than $50 apiece for disassembly and lacing... then add the polishing fee and you've spent more than the price of new hubs already.
Get new complete wheels and sell the old ones or keep them as spares.