Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

HELP Ultegra headset

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

HELP Ultegra headset

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-06, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HELP Ultegra headset

Recently installed new headset with cartridge bearings but am finding that it creaks a lot .

I packed the cups with grease, hand tightened then backed off a quarter turn before securing with the locknut.

Never had this problem with my old clipped ball type headset.

I would be most grateful for any suggestions.
Old 12-29-06, 07:49 AM

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by the scout
Recently installed new headset with cartridge bearings but am finding that it creaks a lot .

I packed the cups with grease, hand tightened then backed off a quarter turn before securing with the locknut.

Never had this problem with my old clipped ball type headset.

I never had a headset creak. You might not want to ride the bike until you find the cause. From what you said so far I would just want to make sure of: 1) did you pack enough grease in there or do you need some more? 2) When you say you hand tightened then backed off a quarter turn before securing the locknut, I suspect this may be where your creaking is originating from. Getting the headset snug but locked securely usually involves 2 wrenches. First use your 32mm headset wrench to snug up the upper cup to where it still turns freely but is as snug as you can get, next secure the locknut with another wrench. Often as you tighten the lock nut, the bearing adjustment will change so you need the thin headset wrench to back off (or further snug up) the bearings.

I suspect revisiting #2 above is where you will find the solution.

A third possible malfunction is possible but not likely and that is the possibility that some part of the install of the headset isn't seated in properly. The upper and lower fixed cups need to be parallel to each other - check them visually to see are they seated fully in the headtube. Next make sure that the fork race is fully seated on the crown.

Shimano cartridge bearing headsets still need maintenence just like the old ball bearing ones. After a ride in heavy rain the bearings will pick up water, rust and then lose their smoothness just like the old school type. A good soak in solvent, brushing out the old grease with a toothbrush and dry with compressed air and re-lube with high quality grease restores like-new function or at least it did for me. Overall the cartridge bearings are less fussy but they do need proper set up.
Good Luck.
Old 12-29-06, 08:26 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by the scout

I think this is your problem; you left too much play in the headset. Put the bike on it's wheels, lock the front brake then try to move the bike forward and backward. I expect you will feel the headset rock slightly. Tighten the upper race until the play is completely gone and then tighten the locknut firmly. Cartridge bearings can actually be pre-loaded a bit so you can safely leave the top race slightly snug with no damage.