Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Good jacket for 30-40 degrees for a reasonable price?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-07, 10:07 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Soliost

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone have a suggestion for a decent cycling jacket to keep me warm in 30-40 degree temps, i dont want to spend anymore than i have to. I see performance makes a lot of their own branded stuff but the only one with a good review or a review at all for that matter isnt in stock in my size.

Thanks,
David
Old 01-03-07, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but I usually just wear a warm (pile) jersey with a shell (windbreaker) over it for that temperature range. At the upper end of the range I might unzip the shell a bit. I do not think the specific models that I use are available anymore, but they were reasonably priced Nashbar branded stuff.
Old 01-03-07, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would go to the local discount clothing store like Mervins or whatever. And try to find a powershield type of softshell jacket. It won't be cycling specific but it will work just fine. After christmas is a good time. These are somewhat less expensive that cycling specific types and often can be found on sale for 40 - 50% off.

I got two that were regular 125 USD for 60 USD each. They are cut a little more loose since they are not cycling specific which allows more layering options and are warmer.

Cycling specific jackets of this type of material are around 200 USD from various compaines and are rarely if ever found on sale at significant discounts. You can layer appropriate wicking fleece and synthetic running shirts underneath instead of buying more cycling jerseys. They work better anyway for layers.

Also, Performance has an inexpensive breathable fleece cycling jacket for around 30 USD. Not very wind or water resistant but very breathable. Would work well in below freezing conditions with layering underneath.
Old 01-03-07, 11:24 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
J&G Yellowjacket: https://www.bicycleclothing.com/Wind-Jackets.html $49.95

Layer underneath as needed, year round. For 30-40 degrees, a light poly base and a merino wool sweater, both available cheap at target or your local thrift store, will do the job for you just fine.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-03-07, 11:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You really can get by with just an inexpensive breathable wind jacket and layer wicking insulation underneath. The softshell jackets breath better but the windbreaker approach works just fine for many. Especially between 30-40 F and if you are not riding really hard for long periods of time.
Old 01-03-07, 01:55 PM
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i agree...a simple wind breaker is a good idea.

i have one from LL bean. it's just a lightweight jacket and if i wear a base layer with long sleve jersey under, i'm fine into the low 30's. it's also good in the rain as well.
Old 01-03-07, 04:50 PM

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats our current temps and I am just wearing a winter weight jersey with a tshirt base layer. I guess sometimes it might be nice to keep the rain off or to cut the wind in which case a breathable very light jacket might be nice. I don't get out my softshell until it drops below freezing.
Craig
Old 01-03-07, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.foxwear.net/products_jackets.html

Evap lite jacket if you ride hard and just need to keep the wind off, evap jacket if you ride slow and need the warmth.. See foxwear clothing review on this same page.
Old 01-03-07, 09:39 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Opera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dekindy
https://www.foxwear.net/products_jackets.html

Evap lite jacket if you ride hard and just need to keep the wind off, evap jacket if you ride slow and need the warmth.. See foxwear clothing review on this same page.
+1 Foxwear is great stuff at a great price.
Old 01-03-07, 11:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my cannondale morphis shell. I got mine for 20% of 80$ from nashbar and love it. Sleeves zip off for a vest. I can ride in 35* weather with a craft pro warm baselayer and this shell and I am fine.
~Nick
Old 01-04-07, 07:47 AM

Bikes: Giant OCR Touring/Schwinn Moab3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for evap Foxwear jacket. The weather has been mild here in Indy (hi 20's to 50's) I wear the evap with a lite layer (wool) under it and arrive at work pretty toasty. Its a great wind blocker and is weather resistant--but not water proof. Mine is the "wet spring, fall, winter" version for $74.95 in bright yellow!
'01 Giant Yukon
I choose the way to go, but the road won't set me free
Old 01-04-07, 10:48 AM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
I bought a fleece vest for that little extra needed once in a while.
Old 01-07-07, 01:53 AM

Bikes: Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
J&G Yellowjacket: https://www.bicycleclothing.com/Wind-Jackets.html $49.95

Layer underneath as needed, year round. For 30-40 degrees, a light poly base and a merino wool sweater, both available cheap at target or your local thrift store, will do the job for you just fine.
+1 on the J&G jacket. I wear a T-Shirt and a sweatshirt underneath.
Old 01-07-07, 09:47 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
+2 on the J&G jacket. I wear a jersey and a poly long john top under mine.
Old 01-08-07, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
To me it is all about fit and venting. In that temp range any thin wind blocking material with whatever base and mid layer make you comfortable will work fine. The more expensive materials typically don't make as much noise and offer more waterproofness.

For fit you want something that offers good wrist and back coverage, does not bind the shoulders in a cycling position and is formfitting so it doesn't billow in the wind but still allows for layering underneath. Because of these requirements I've found cycling specific items to be a good choice.

Venting is like a chimney ... the outlets are either a mesh (or fleece) back, a vented back and/or pit zips. The flue, or inlets, are the front zipper, adjustable sleeve cuffs and sometimes a zip chest pocket with mesh backing.

Nice touches are a brushed collar for comfort when all sealed up. Pockets so you don't have to dig underneath are handy. I prefer the traditional 3 rear pockets to the single zip rear or zip side pockets.

The most cost effective jacket I have is a PI Zephyr I got in the low $30 range. It has good fit and a brushed collar and is light weight and stuffable in a jersey pocket if it warms up. It lacked venting, so I ripped out 8" or so of the sleeve hems in both pits. When the front is zipped I can barely notice the open "pit zips" but when I warm up I can unzip the front and exhaust the hot air out.
Old 01-08-07, 10:49 PM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Hezz
You really can get by with just an inexpensive breathable wind jacket and layer wicking insulation underneath. The softshell jackets breath better but the windbreaker approach works just fine for many. Especially between 30-40 F and if you are not riding really hard for long periods of time.
+1
Old 01-09-07, 06:05 AM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
At 30°, I'm just entertaining the thought of maybe wearing a little bit more.

A good old hooded sweatshirt should do.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 01-11-07, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I purchased the Louis Garneau Gloucester jacket at my LBS for $99. It is heavier than I originally intended and does not have pit zippers either. You can regulate it easily by simply unzipping and zipping the front zipper while riding. I like it well. The only negative is that the front pocket zippers get the wind flap caught in them if I am not careful. So far I have been able to free it without ripping the fabric.