Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

sourcing the Short Spokes

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-07, 09:17 PM
hunter, gatherer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i don't have a recumbent,
but i need to build a wheel for my bob trailer and i bought my tires off a recumbent guy, so i figure you all have experience with the Small Wheels and their respective Spokes...

i tried ordering 130mm custom cut spokes from United but they said they won't do anything shorter than 150mm as it won't fit in their Phil machine..
(i can't imagine how anyone will cut spokes not using this machine but obviously it's being done somewhere)

so can anyone recommend a source for these shorty spokes ??
Old 01-05-07, 11:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coelcanth
.. so can anyone recommend a source for these shorty spokes ??
Try

https://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/par.../wheelbmx.html

Bottom of the page, lefthand side.
Old 01-05-07, 01:41 PM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by coelcanth
I tried ordering 130mm custom cut spokes from United but they said they won't do anything shorter than 150mm as it won't fit in their Phil machine..
That seems bogus to me! I used to have a Phil machine, and I could make 30mm spokes if I wanted. Granted I had to use straight gauge spokes and not double butted ones.
And that would have been on an older machine. Maybe the newer versions have a length limitation.
I'm going to check one of my LBS that has a Phil machine and see what they say.

Old 01-05-07, 03:05 PM
horizontally adapted

Bikes: Specialized Stumpie, Bianchi Pista, Optima Baron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mark, I assume you may be referring to Hector at Winning Wheels in PG. He cut and threaded a couple of very short spokes (radial-laced 406 wheel) for me just before the holidays. He did it while I waited and only charged me a little over a dollar. What a great LBS to have in town!
Old 01-05-07, 04:17 PM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by bentrox!
Mark, I assume you may be referring to Hector at Winning Wheels in PG. He cut and threaded a couple of very short spokes (radial-laced 406 wheel) for me just before the holidays. He did it while I waited and only charged me a little over a dollar. What a great LBS to have in town!
Yes, that would be Winning Wheels!
A GREAT LBS to have nearby!
And I believe they have had their Phil machine for many years, so it's possible that the newer versions can't cut less than 150mm spokes, but I'm dubious.

BTW, Winning Wheels (831) 375-4322

Old 01-08-07, 02:20 PM
hunter, gatherer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it surprised me too

i just called to triple check and apparently it is an issue with the newer model..
i don't know why phil would overlook this as i'd imagine making short spokes is one of the major tasks for the machine

Originally Posted by Dr.Deltron
That seems bogus to me! I used to have a Phil machine, and I could make 30mm spokes if I wanted. Granted I had to use straight gauge spokes and not double butted ones.
And that would have been on an older machine. Maybe the newer versions have a length limitation.
I'm going to check one of my LBS that has a Phil machine and see what they say.

Last edited by coelcanth; 01-08-07 at 02:27 PM.