Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

It's Blizzard In Saskatoon Today, All HighWays, Schools and Public Transport Closed.

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

It's Blizzard In Saskatoon Today, All HighWays, Schools and Public Transport Closed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-07, 11:07 PM
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What a Wicked storm, pretty much everything is shut down. Highways, public transport, schools.... More than 100 people have to stay at Cosco (at the city limits) tonight for they are stranded at the store. The Airport is full of overnighters, and closed. My sister inlaw and husband have to stay there overnight as he works there ans they can't leave.

My wife came and picked me up at about 2:00, as I could not bike home, and we were told to leave work as soon as we could.... Good thing for 4 wheels drives.

It was snowing and blowing snow with High winds and a temperature of -24C

The following is the list of closures at 3:00 p.m. today due to the blizzard:
Circle Drive Bridge and Circle Drive remain closed in both directions between Millar Avenue and College Drive.

The following intersections are closed due to the weather:

Wanuskewin Road and Adilman Drive
McOrmond Road, Kerr Road and Highway 5
22nd Street at Highway 7
Preston Avenue and Perimeter Road
Preston South and Circle Drive
Attridge Drive and Circle Drive Southbound
Warman Road and Circle Drive
Gordon Road (Stonebridge)
37th Street and Latrace Road

Motorists are asked to please use extreme caution and ensure your hazard lights (flashers) are on when travelling.

We just got home, I ran in and got the camera, already the truck is already showing a dusting of snow like it's been parked for a few hours. Darn, I just shoveled the other day too!

Numbers changed to protect the silly....

I knew there was a storm warning today as I headed out to work, and knew it would be a tough slog. I have been riding to work everyday, spring, rain, shine, summer and winter, I just hate giving in.... But today I would have been a hazard on the roads to myself and others.

Other than that it was nice to get off work early. I went for a walk as it was too nice to be stuck inside

Last edited by ViperZ; 01-14-07 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-10-07, 11:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
View from the Office taken from my cell phone.

Traffic on the street was backed up trying to get out of Dodge

I may have to work from home tomorrow

Last edited by ViperZ; 01-10-07 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-10-07, 11:30 PM

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8 Ultegra / 105

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Reminds me of my days in Halifax.
Old 01-10-07, 11:30 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
The same blizzard is over here in central Alberta too. I didn't go to work until near noon because the roads were too dangerous, and then they let us go home early. And I opted not to cycle ... 30 kms (one way) out into the country to my place of employment might have been a little bit hazardous.
Old 01-10-07, 11:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
The same blizzard is over here in central Alberta too. I didn't go to work until near noon because the roads were too dangerous, and then they let us go home early. And I opted not to cycle ... 30 kms (one way) out into the country to my place of employment might have been a little bit hazardous.

Most of the people that live in the satellite towns around Saskatoon, were told to go home at about noon time. The radio warned that the highways were closed and as such you could be stranded. Visibility was Zero... With Huge Snow Drifts.

I stayed later as I was making good progress at work and hated to leave, really I did. My Wife called and said she had to pick up our daughter at school as they were closed, and said she wanted to get me at the same time. I live 4 km from downtown and knew I could walk home if I had to.

Hopefully everything is OK for you as well Machka

I brought a shovel into the house in case we have to dig our selfs out of the house in the morning

Last edited by ViperZ; 01-11-07 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-10-07, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ViperZ
Hey, you use the same kind of Zefal Magnum water bottle that I use!

(Great pics, btw)
Old 01-11-07, 12:02 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
The highway wasn't too bad ... visibility was down to less than a kilometer in places and there were quite a few drifts ... but it wasn't overly slippery or anything. We just took it easy out there ... I think the trip took about twice as long as usual.

And ... the blizzard warning has now ended and the bitterly cold snap has begun. So getting to work tomorrow (by car, not bicycle) should be all right.
Old 01-11-07, 12:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh, good to hear it was a relatively safe journey for you. Visibility was zero in town, on the highway it was worse I'm told (negative visibility?). There were huge snow drifts that where grabbing trucks and everything that came in contact. Lots of vehicles in the ditches.

It is said to get to -30C tomorrow.

Thanks Rotten B!
Old 01-11-07, 07:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From the Saskatoon Star Phoenix

It seems like things are sort of back to normal, and most main road ways are clear enough to travel, so I'll head in to work today.

Schools are closed today, and there is still mega car pile ups and abondoned vehicles on the road. many ran out of gas waiting in traffic. I suppose I'm lucky that I live so close to downtown, and acess to my area has many routes.

It will go down as one of the most intense blizzards in the city's history, claiming the lives of two...
Old 01-11-07, 08:16 AM

Bikes: 2002 Rocky HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do you guys get all the fun weather?!? We had only about 2cm of snow, but we did have the howling wind. Today is windy and cold, but still good riding to work conditions.

At least the SGEU had the good sense to send the highways workers back...
Old 01-11-07, 08:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'm not sure everyone considered it fun, but I know what you are refereing to

CKOM a radio staion in town has a lot of good pictures and video submited to their site.

Here is a video of the storm from a Person's garage

Last edited by ViperZ; 01-11-07 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-11-07, 11:48 AM

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (zipp 404's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey ViperZ, just finished up a little forty minute ride around Campus, its nuts, I can cut through the short stuff because I have a cross with studs, but I just road around parking lots and roads. Better than riding the rollers. Enjoy your day off, go ride.
Old 01-11-07, 08:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CannondaleKid
Hey ViperZ, just finished up a little forty minute ride around Campus, its nuts, I can cut through the short stuff because I have a cross with studs, but I just road around parking lots and roads. Better than riding the rollers. Enjoy your day off, go ride.
Great to hear CannondaleKid! I was wondering how well a cross bike works in the snow. I take it the U of S campus path ways were cleared?

I was surprised with the aftermath this morning. There wasn't as much snow as I thought there would be, however I hear the North end was the hardest hit. It was not so mush the amount of snow, rather the cold with 70km/h winds and blowing snow while it was snowing.

Last edited by ViperZ; 01-11-07 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-11-07, 08:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some more pictures I took today during lunch. I walked over to Kiwanis Park by the river where they had just finished clearing the major pathway.

Temperature was about -30C

The Saskatchewan river to the left is creating all the mist.

The view is a lot clearer than yesterday
Old 01-12-07, 08:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate when you post pictures of Saskatoon, it's soooooo much nicer than Regina.
Old 01-12-07, 09:23 AM
Keys are in the ignition

Bikes: Mikado Cabot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold but no blizzard

Wow we had insane wind here and high wind chill but nothing like that blizzard. -30F, -54F with the wind chill but you can see for miles which means it's a good day to ride!

Oh and the scenery isn't so bad in Regina, you just have to know where to go.
Old 01-12-07, 12:03 PM

Bikes: 1930's CCM Flyer, black and gold, 1930's CCM Flyer, chrome, 1939 CCM Flyer Gold plated, 1903 CCM Rambler, 1912 Glasgo Cycle Co, 1935 Silver King Wingbar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Winterpeg this morning it was -37 and -48 with the windchill. The cyclists were out there this morning. The courier cyclists also working today. 2 years ago it hit -55 with windchill and the newspaper showed a guy with a 6 inch frost beard. We didn't get the blizzard you got west of here. We did get the snow and now the cold. Kids are home today as the school buses are not running, too cold.
Old 01-12-07, 12:42 PM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Got to love winter. It must be fantastic to walk in Kiwanis park right now. We are waiting patiently for our first major snow on Cape Cod. Waiting.....waiting.....

Last edited by capejohn; 01-12-07 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-12-07, 02:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mphetameme
Oh and the scenery isn't so bad in Regina, you just have to know where to go.
The Freehouse on a Saturday night used to be my favorite place to enjoy the scenery.

On the plus side Regina is now nationally recognised by Macleans magazine... as having the worst neighbourhood in all of Canada.
Old 01-12-07, 02:50 PM

Bikes: 1930's CCM Flyer, black and gold, 1930's CCM Flyer, chrome, 1939 CCM Flyer Gold plated, 1903 CCM Rambler, 1912 Glasgo Cycle Co, 1935 Silver King Wingbar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Regina is a beautiful city. I have been there a few times in the last few years. I am friends with Fred at Dutch Cycles. I have done some trading on old bikes with him. He comes to Winnipeg once a year and stops by. I can see what they mean as haveing the worst hood in Canada. I saw 1 area as being poor or rundown. Winnipeg has 1 very bad area also. We have lots of crack houses and have been the murder capital of Canada many times, most of them in the bad area. I live just north of the city right next to Birds Hill Park. Very nice area to live.
Old 01-13-07, 01:17 PM
500 Watts

Bikes: Trek 7200 FX ('05), Trek 6000 ('07)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ViperZ

Those studs will be really effective there,
Old 01-13-07, 01:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Gang, thanks for your comments and for posting

I think Regina is a pretty city too, and I always enjoy visiting there. I Like the Wascana Park area very much. I have some pictures I took of Regina during my daughter's basketball tournament. Maybe I'll post them later. Most cities have their questionable areas, and Saskatoon certainly has one as well.

KrisA, I love the Chicken Capicola on Focaccia Sandwich at the Spadina Free House! I work just a block away and always order that for lunch

Kill Cactus, the studs really help should I hit ice under that deep snow

Good Luck with the snow Capejohn One time when I was in Boston, I drove out to the Cape, it was beautiful there!
Old 01-14-07, 07:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldy57
I think Regina is a beautiful city. I have been there a few times in the last few years. I am friends with Fred at Dutch Cycles. I have done some trading on old bikes with him. He comes to Winnipeg once a year and stops by. I can see what they mean as haveing the worst hood in Canada. I saw 1 area as being poor or rundown. Winnipeg has 1 very bad area also. We have lots of crack houses and have been the murder capital of Canada many times, most of them in the bad area. I live just north of the city right next to Birds Hill Park. Very nice area to live.
Would that be Fred 1, Fred 2, or Fred 3 (Freddie)? That cracks me up, 3 generations of Freds, all super guys! I hope Freddie has a boy, Fred 4.
Old 01-14-07, 09:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That would be Fred 2.
Old 01-14-07, 03:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KrisA
Would that be Fred 1, Fred 2, or Fred 3 (Freddie)? That cracks me up, 3 generations of Freds, all super guys! I hope Freddie has a boy, Fred 4.
I worked with a small group of 10 people once where there were 3 Mikes. I thought that was funny

Here are a coupe of photos I took of your nice city during my daughter's Basketball tournament in Regina. We stayed at the Hotel Saskatchewan Radisson. It was really nice and central. There were some good restaurants down Scarth Street, across from Victoria Park.

I took this picture yesterday of the half frozen South Saskatchewan River. Temperature was -27C, but it really felt colder due to the wind and wind chill. I was on the University bridge for this picture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.