Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bring It On!

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Bring It On!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-07, 11:26 AM
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bring It On!

I'm excited because I just picked up my 26" Hakka W106's from the LBS.

Going to commute home with them slung around my neck like Rambo and mount them myself. Tubeless rims but I got presta-valved tubes with the tires. Hopefully there aren't any "gotchas" with the installation. I've only had the Trek (Liquid 25) since September and I've never even had the wheels off it. (~900 miles now.)
Old 01-11-07, 02:56 PM

Bikes: Klein Attitude(off-road), Cannondale M700(commuter), Nishiki Performance Equipe(Roadie)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have fun commuting with the Hakkas Rambo, just don't destroy(tread on) a whole town. If these are your first set, the studs will give you an added degree of confidence. Don't get too crazy with them though or you will be humbled!

I don't run tubeless, so I'm not sure what you'll have to deal with from that perspective. I went with the M&Gs and have run them for about a month now. Having better cornering suited my riding conditions. I couldn't be happier with the Nokians so far. Now I want to buy an aggressive set for some serious play!

Enjoy!
Old 01-12-07, 07:29 AM
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Installed last night and did a commute this morning. The only real issues with the installation were that the bead is tight, and I couldn't get them seated properly. A search of the mechanics forum informed me I should overpressurize the tires. I tried that, nervously pumping to 90PSI, and after a bit of tire-massaging, they popped right into place. No problems.

Much less rolling resistance than the "stock" knobby tires. Quieter, too. Not much ice to play on but plenty of snow. They did fine. I understand about the overconfidence thing. No worries.