Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cleaning after ride

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Cleaning after ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 12:06 AM
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Cleaning after ride

What do people recommend doing with their bikes after a snow/slush ride? I store my bike outside in a shed. I wiped everything down after the ride tonight but there is lots of goop in the spokes, in around the cog etc. It's my year round ride so I want to maintain it, but can't bring it inside to dry. Whats a good way to get all the crud off?
Become reality to me
Old 01-16-07, 05:32 AM

Bikes: Van Dessel CRB, Giant ATX 880,Footbike track

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clean off, Dry off & (relube) oil on just about everything this time of year! every time you ride and get it funky! clean it up! I use a degresser, then wipe it off, and relube with (Boshield) t-9..lpd9...10w 40,any light oil base product,it keeps the rust away.You don't have to sleep with the bike, just take care of it! IT's your buddy!Sometimes i use Kerosene in a pump up spray can, works good and its oil based,try not to use water if you can,a long time ago i used to go to a car wash and spray it off, now im older, thats were the wisdom comes in! hope this helps...
Old 01-16-07, 02:40 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmm. Without the option of a warm place to dry, options ARE limited.

Any water that gets into the cables is going to freeze them up. Using hot water will be a bit better, as much of it will evaporate before it freezes.

But I think enough water will remain and freeze to cause issues.
Old 01-16-07, 03:56 PM

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I park my bike inside when I'm at work, but the rest of the time it stays in the garage, under the grage door, or outside. It's a Trek 800 MTB with all original cables. The BB bearings were replaced in September or October. I have wax lube on the chain, but at this point, the only time I'm doing anything for this bike until spring is keeping it ridable. I'm carrying WD-40 and letting it thaw and dry while I'm at work, but that's about it. My cables and housings have needed replaced since before winter and I know they aren't going to break so it seemed silly to change them before. My rear axel is bent (typical of low end Treks I hear) so my bearings don't stay tight. I'm giving it a complete overhaul this spring. new wheels, cables+housings, lube/replace headset and BB bearings, brake pads and might even put a new chain on it. at this point, anything that's going to get damaged by snow, ice or salt on my bike probably needs replaced anyway. so I shoot the cables and stuff with WD-40 and worry about it later. I've got a FS toys R us special in the shed and some other junk around if the trek doesn't make it all winter. I know my bike deserves more respect than it's getting, but I'm working full time, and I'm a student. I just hope it forgives me in the spring.
Old 01-24-07, 02:35 PM
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't bother cleaning mine during winter. Being FG, it isn't bothered much. Every once in a while, I add some more lubricant to the chain.