Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bikes at RV toy Outlet

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Bikes at RV toy Outlet

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 11:47 AM

Bikes: Trek sole 100 comfort bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes at RV toy Outlet

Anyone have a bike from RVTO? The price seems OK for a folding bike for taking camping, where I'd just be riding around the campground or nearby paved bike paths. I called them and asked what the brand name was and CS said it is the same bike that Wal-Mart was selling. WM was selling a Kent Intl bike.
the one i am considering is the $89 cruising bike. Says steel frame 5 speed, 20" tires, step thru design.
The weight isn't a factor as i won't be carrying it on/off trains/busses.
Another ? - what is a band brake. has this type of brake on the rear.
Thanks
Hill Slug
Old 01-16-07, 12:29 PM
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hello Hill Slug and Welcome to this forum,

Here are my thoughts on your possible purchase:

"...the one i am considering is the $89 cruising bike. Says steel frame 5 speed, 20" tires, step thru design.
The weight isn't a factor as i won't be carrying it on/off trains/busses..."

If you are considering a folding bike, do like most people (including myself) have done on this forum and buy a bike that you can at least tune-up, repair and have around for a while. You also specify that you live in Maine. That should spur you in buying a hardier, more sturdier bike that would withstand extreme temperature ranges and snow. Don't focus too much on price. That is where the downfall of most North American consumers occur.

But fear not, there are some avenues for you to consider. For my first folding bike, I chose to buy a simple Dahon single speed Boardwalk and upgrade the components to what I need and want-or not. I could have stayed simple and kept it a one speed or change it to an internal hub or whatever else I wanted. As for price, I bought a known popular brand with a real warranty-very important if something goes wrong with it-behind it for $200 US dollars. I know I still have a bargain because I still have it (after three years), ride it often, and when needed, can fix it or even change it more. It has a steel frame (very important to me), 20 inch wheels, step through design, and weights only around 30 pounds. There are some folding bikes that are too heavy for anyone to lift at 50 pounds. (see my Flickr web site below for photos and Geocites Selection section for more details).

If frame metal construction is not your concern, Downtubes are another way to go. There prices are very reasonable and offer you alot in features. But whatever you choose, make sure that you won't get stuck with something that might be a lemon after purchase and you can't even take it back-much less repair or even tune-up.

Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 01-16-07, 03:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for info.
I will not be using it in Maine, but taking it to AL and FL when i snowbird there. I have a montague DX that i have taken with me before, but it's a much bigger bike than i want to deal with as I get older. I will probably be selling the montague this spring and getting a smaller folding bike. For riding in Maine when i can put the bike on a rack, i have a Trek Sole 100 that is fun to ride, easy on/off, comfort bike. I would like something like that but in a folding bike for RV travel.
Hill Slug
p.s. I spent 28 yrs in SoCal, SFV mostly. and was an airline mech at LAX.
Old 01-16-07, 11:24 PM

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second the suggestion of sticking with products from well-known manufacturers.

We are in our early 60's and take our folding bikes along when we travel with our folding Aframe trailer. We also ride bike paths here in the Portland area.

Wife has a Dahon Boardwalk 7-speed and I have a Boardwalk 7-speed, as well as a Dahon Single-Speed. She is very happy with her ride and I am very happy with my two bikes. The single-speed is easy to ride on our relatively level bike paths and it is my going to the store bike. Haven't had a lick of trouble with any of the three bikes - the wife refers to them as the Dahon triplets.

We purchased ours at Camping World, but now they don't seem to have the same components and the current Dahon single-speed doesn't have the vertically adjustable handle bars which I really like.

If I was going to purchase one folding bike today, I would probably go for a Speed 8. It does however lack the fenders and rack all three of our bikes have.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 01-17-07, 05:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks foldable 2. I had a sportliner Aframe camper. but back to tenting now thinking about getting a class C. I go to gulf shores AL in the winter which is nice and flat and they have several bike paths.
since i'll ony be using the bike when camping, i don't want to invest more than $200. but i would like a bike i don't have to do anything to. and something that can carry water bottle, picnic lunch, digi-cam, co2 air pump, and the usual beach gear.
In your travels have you seen anyone with the wal-mart or RV outlet bikes? i don't think wal-mart sells them any more, but another Aframe owner i know in OH has the wal-mart bikes and they seem to like them.
they are rather 'heavy' people and have said the bike is sturdy enough for them. but i don't think they ride them much.
can i get a quality bike in the $150-$200 range? or would it be possible to trade my montague DX for a 20" foldable in the $200-$300 range?
thanks, HS
Old 01-17-07, 07:42 PM

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hill Slug - Check out the Camping World website: www.campingworld.com

You could order off the web or go to one of their stores - the nearest one to you appears to be in Chichester, NH. They have three models: Single-speed, Speed-7, and the Yeah Bike (a 6-speed also made by Dahon). They are also offering a FREE Dahon bike bag online (they are about $45 in the store.)

I am 64, 6'3"/200 lbs - not a bike freak, just have ridden casually most of my life. I still play competitive slow-pitch softball, so I am somewhat athletic. My wife is 62, 5'8" amd in good shape - she is active but not athletic. We have rode our 7-speeds on the 14 mile Bridge Pedal here in Portland, OR in 2005 and I did it by myself in 2006. The is a 210' altitude change on this ride to get to the top of a couple of the bridges - the Boardwalks have just enough speeds to do that. I have to work awful hard on my single speed to do that.

If you want a single bike, I strongly suggest the Speed-7. We paid about $269.ea for ours two yrs ago. I got the single speed on sale for $129. - a real bargain! We purchased them all at the local Camping World. They are not a bike shop, so although they were assembled, I made some adjustments to them and also took them to a local bike shop to have them adjusted professionally as the lifetime warranty requires. We have had zero problems with them.

The only other brand talked about on here that is reasonable and would be comparable quality wise - but maybe a little more expensive - is the Downtube. See the downtube website to check them out and/or purchase one. They also require some adjustment upon receipt from what I have read.

FYI: our Aframe is a Chalet - Aliner's rival which is manufactured here in Oregon. We are however members of the Aliner's Owners Club and actually attend their events. Most folks can't tell the two brands apart.

I have not seen any folding bikes at my local Walmarts, and I have specifically looked for them. Don't over think the problem. From what you have said about your needs a Dahon will be a good choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP0157 (Small).JPG (53.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg
IMGP0495 (Small).JPG (69.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-21-07, 04:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I checked ebay and there are under $100 folders on there called Zensx. They look like the 5 speed steel frame bikes that RV Toy Outlet is selling for $80-$100. Went to the www.zensx.com website and the bikes on it are over $200.
anyone ever hear fo Zensx folding bikes?
Hill Slug
I can go faster walking uphill than i can riding a bike.
Old 01-21-07, 11:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My suggestion - and it will likely be seconded by many others: Don't waste your money. Buy a Downtube or entry lavel bike. If you can't afford a new one, look for a used couple year old one.

From what I saw on the Zensx website, they are like where Dahon was 10 yrs ago.