Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Injury recovery

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Injury recovery

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-07, 03:58 PM

Bikes: vintage Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Injury recovery

I understand that everyone heals at somewhat a different rate, but how long on an average did it take those of you that have suffered through some kind of tendonitis to heal from it? Did you find light exercise to help the healing process or complete time away from the exercise that caused it? Thanks.
Old 01-19-07, 04:15 PM
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It took me about three months to heal from a sore knee due to having my seat too low. I have yet to find a seat post that is long enough in that diameter. Mind you I stopped riding that bike and went to a new road bike with the proper geometry before any healing began.
Old 01-19-07, 04:33 PM
Not obese just overweight

Bikes: Trek 7500fx, Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It all depends on the extent of the injury. Anywhere from a week to a month. I know waiting is hard to do but do it.

1. Hot tub or hot baths to increase circulation and clean out the junk
2. Ibuprofen to manage the swelling even if it isn't visible. Ice for acute swelling.
3. Very light exercise where the tendons are never strained (no sprints, no hills, no big gears, no bold acceleration, no abrupt stops, no running, no weights) and this only after you're well on the path to healing. I wait until I think I've turned the corner on my path to wellness.

slowandsteady meantions something very important. Find out what caused the repetitive stress injury and fix it before you resume exercise (or resume typing on your keyboard if it's your hands.)

Veho difficilis, ago facilis
Old 01-22-07, 06:33 PM

Bikes: vintage Raleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ratebeer
It all depends on the extent of the injury. Anywhere from a week to a month. I know waiting is hard to do but do it.

1. Hot tub or hot baths to increase circulation and clean out the junk
2. Ibuprofen to manage the swelling even if it isn't visible. Ice for acute swelling.
3. Very light exercise where the tendons are never strained (no sprints, no hills, no big gears, no bold acceleration, no abrupt stops, no running, no weights) and this only after you're well on the path to healing. I wait until I think I've turned the corner on my path to wellness.

slowandsteady meantions something very important. Find out what caused the repetitive stress injury and fix it before you resume exercise (or resume typing on your keyboard if it's your hands.)
Thanks guys.

Ratebeer - I was reading a thread that you were involved in regarding flatbar road bikes. I read that you have an aerobar setup on your flatbar. I ride with a flatbar on my roadbike as well and was wanting to do the same thing as you did with the aerobar. Do you have a pic of your setup? What aerobar did you find works with the flatbar center bulge? Do you use a shorter stem with this setup? Thanks.