Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter clothings questions?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 01-21-07, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2 questions, 1st one...feet...what do you do?!?! I don't know what to do anymore, went riding today for an hour, meant to be out for two but feet got too cold, was 20F out today and 10F with windchill. Today I was using Northwave winter shoes with the gore-tex membrane and craft wool socks and within a half hour my feet were numb. I've tried feet heaters which don't do crap, I've tried doubling my socks up, and I was hoping these Northwave shoes would be my salvation but it's a no go, ideas? I've finally got EVERYTHING but my feet figured out.

2nd...today I used a pure virgin wool ski sweatshirt under my jacket instead of the normal polyester cycling jersey. My upper body has never been so comfortable when cycling in the cold my entire life, when I have the polyester top on I get cold when I start to sweat, but that wasn't the case today with the wool sweatshirt. Why don't they make these in cycling jerseys? The only ones I've seen are like $200 and are meant more for style than riding.
Old 01-21-07, 05:31 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
About cold feet:
https://www.machka.net/whatworks/coldfeet.htm

Why do you need a wool cycling jersey? You've got a jacket over your wool sweatshirt right? The one and only benefit of wearing a jersey is the pockets in the back and if you're wearing a jacket, you can't access them anyway.
Old 01-21-07, 05:38 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
How tight are your shoes? I've found that if I have a tight fit, my feet get cold - prolly due to both decreased blood circulation and no air insulation. My current shoes and winter boots allow me to wear a thin wool sock, a thick wool sock, and still be able to wiggle my toes and not feel cramped. I get by with just one pair of thick smartwool socks down to 15F or so.

Edit: I coulda just kept my mouth shut, Macka's page pretty much covers it. Nice job, darlin, as usual you are my hero.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-21-07, 06:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
About cold feet:
https://www.machka.net/whatworks/coldfeet.htm

Why do you need a wool cycling jersey? You've got a jacket over your wool sweatshirt right? The one and only benefit of wearing a jersey is the pockets in the back and if you're wearing a jacket, you can't access them anyway.
I don't have to wear a wool cycling jersey, I was just wondering why they don't make more of them since they are so effective at keeping you warm. I'll continue wearing my wool sweatshirt.
Old 01-21-07, 06:35 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Well, if you want something less expensive in a wool jersey, check Nashbar:

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eeve%20Jerseys

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...All%20Products
Old 01-21-07, 06:43 PM
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRLski
I don't have to wear a wool cycling jersey, I was just wondering why they don't make more of them since they are so effective at keeping you warm. I'll continue wearing my wool sweatshirt.
It maybe because as warm as wool is, it does not dry as readily, and historically has been itchy against the skin. However Merino wool has changed that.

It may also be more than likely due to costs, as I suspect it costs more to make a jersey with wool than with a synthetic. Further wool is heavier and less compact...

I have a vintage wool Decente cycling jersey that feels great to wear even in the summer, but it does feel heavier and more constrictive than my thin synthetic Assos and Campagnolo jerseys. It tends to get wetter during hard efforts, and stays that way when I take it off.

Regarding your feet, I too thought as Chipcom and wondered if your shoes or layers are tight enough to cut off your circulation.

Last edited by ViperZ; 01-21-07 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-22-07, 01:46 PM

Bikes: Van Dessel CRB, Giant ATX 880,Footbike track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regardless of what you wear**********
"Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly."
Old 01-22-07, 02:40 PM
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wear smartwool or wigwam wool socks with Performance brand Toesties over my shoes and my feet don't get cold. I ride in 20 degrees. I have also used chemical toe warmers if I really want to be toasty, but they aren't necessary. The key for me is to put a foam insole in the shoes. The metal cleat is a heat sink if you don't insulate it. Without the foam insole, nothing can keep my feet warm.
Old 01-22-07, 03:38 PM
Cheyenne Commuter

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot UO8 (many, many upgrades ;-)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRLski
2 questions, 1st one...feet...what do you do?!?! I don't know what to do anymore, went riding today for an hour, meant to be out for two but feet got too cold, was 20F out today and 10F with windchill. Today I was using Northwave winter shoes with the gore-tex membrane and craft wool socks and within a half hour my feet were numb. I've tried feet heaters which don't do crap, I've tried doubling my socks up, and I was hoping these Northwave shoes would be my salvation but it's a no go, ideas? I've finally got EVERYTHING but my feet figured out.

2nd...today I used a pure virgin wool ski sweatshirt under my jacket instead of the normal polyester cycling jersey. My upper body has never been so comfortable when cycling in the cold my entire life, when I have the polyester top on I get cold when I start to sweat, but that wasn't the case today with the wool sweatshirt. Why don't they make these in cycling jerseys? The only ones I've seen are like $200 and are meant more for style than riding.
I'm a commuter, and I hate cold feet and cold hands. If the temperature is below freezing, I put my "street shoe" adapters in my clipless pedals and wear my good to -20* F Sorel packs. The street shoe adapters are just a flat platic clip with a plastic toe clip. With standard pedals the nylon toe clip strap catches on the crank arm, so I installed a pair of pedal spacers (like these https://peterwhitecycles.com/pedalspacers.asp ) . I leave the pedal spacers in even when I get to ride in my Shimano shoes, which hasn't been very often in the last month. I swear I can hold at a higher rpm with the extenders than without.

The trick for staying warm for me at least is to stay dry. I wear a wicking shirt under my waterproof/breathable shell and do just fine. Remember, as my mountaineering friends are apt to say "Cotton Kills".