Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

If this noob were to get a Novara Randonee...

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-07, 09:07 PM
meep!

Bikes: 2006 Kona Jake, 2005 Giant Lite Xtracycle, 2004 Trek L200, 1997 Specialized RockHopper FS, 1989 Trek 950

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

(touring noob, that is)
...his only concern would be the apparent 130mm rear spacing and Tiagra hubs.

I'm no clyde at 156lbs, but sought out a commuter with 135mm rear and Deore hubs for rough pavement. A friend's Trek 1000 road bike with Tiagra hubs is already rolling rough after one fair weather season on smoother roads.

I really like the LHT complete at around $1000, but could get a 2006 Novara for much less. Are the Tiagra hubs a valid concern as far as durability, or are they fine if maintained properly? Would an eventual upgrade to, say, Ultegra be as durable as an LX? This ride is aimed at 3-5 day loaded tours for the forseeable future, and I'm guessing about 30lbs of gear/food based on backpacking.. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-07, 10:07 PM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My friend has a randonee and it is still going strong after a 5 day tour and a couple thousand KMs of commuting and day rides.
Old 01-22-07, 01:36 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One has to wonder if the hubs were not properly lubed and adjusted. I've heard Shimano can be a bit sloppy when it comes to grease and adjustment on new hubs. I just built up some wheels using XT hubs and didn't find a problem with them, but did service them anyway. As far as the 130 spacing goes, I don't see that as a deal breaker.

However, I've discovered, based upon my personality, that for me it's cheaper to buy what I really want in the first place. Whenever I compromise it seems to cost me more because I usually end up buying (or upgrading) to what I really wanted in the first place.