Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

trek 520 eventually

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 08:49 PM

Bikes: 2008 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trek 520 eventually

I have decided to buy myself a Trek 520 when I become light enough to ride one without killing it. Can someone offer suggestions as to what weight I should be for that bike. Also, can someone tell what approx size frame I would need? I have only ridden mountain bikes and and dont know what cm size I need. I am 6' tall with a 32 inch inseam clothes wise.

Thanks,

Matty in Brooklyn
Old 01-22-07, 08:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can ride it now unless you have a physical condition that will keep you off a bike. The 520 is a loaded touring bike meant to handle a rider on an unsupported tour, with all of the gear that entails. Find a Trek dealer and they will help you find the right size.
Old 01-22-07, 09:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm... I would hate to kill the rims. I loosen up the spokes om my mountain bike rims now.

Matty in Brooklyn
Old 01-22-07, 09:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have the shop check the wheels for even spoke tension and it should not be a huge issue. If you don't mind the question, what do you weigh?
Old 01-22-07, 09:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont mind since I am losing. I weigh 310 or so (down from 360) I was thinking of this as a present to myself for a job well done.

Matty in Brooklyn
Old 01-22-07, 09:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattyknacks
I dont mind since I am losing. I weigh 310 or so (down from 360) I was thinking of this as a present to myself for a job well done.

Matty in Brooklyn
Good job Matty! I think the bike would handle you now (and you won't likely be there long). If it keeps you riding more (maybe even touring), I see no trouble. If you go for it, you should have the wheels checked carefully before you buy for good tension and true. Keep an eye on them for wobble and you should be fine.
Old 01-22-07, 09:25 PM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I second the "go for it". An old Raleigh with 32 spoke rims held up under my 420-ish girth for about 1000 miles, then from there to 380 a Specialized hardrock got 700 miles of abuse. The 520 will likely break AFTER you do .

I also second the job well done. It's a hell of a thing to work off 50 pounds, keep at it!
Old 01-22-07, 09:40 PM
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My 520 has something like 40-something spoke touring wheels. Decent rims, and MT hubs. Have the shop touch up the wheels before you roll out the door... and you should be fine. Don't jump curbs, and be weary of potholes. When you destroy the wheels (actually, if you destroy the wheels) treat yourself to some handbuilt wheels designed just for you - consider it a reward for riding.

I had a bit of trouble on my 520 getting my handlebar up to a reasonable level for touring / commuting - the steerer came from Trek cut pretty short. (yes, the bike was sized correctly) - make sure the LBS you are working with knows how you want to ride - from the position you have on your bike over in the fender thread, you'll want the bars at least seat level to start....
Old 01-22-07, 10:19 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
You should have no issue with this bike. I have a friend that has one about 2 years old and he weighs about 265 and 6' 3" and with gear and stuff is probably close to that weight. He has about 8000 miles on his. Rides it all over the southeast. You have got to love being retired.

Old 01-22-07, 11:20 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You prolly won't listen to me but I'll say it anyway! Get yourself a 30 mm high Velocity Deep "V"! Very strong, a bit heavy but durable. I have them on my tandem with over 400lbs of rider weight. Have them on my roadies as I weigh 240. No problems with 32 spoke wheels(3X).

Have them build you a rear wheel. Front is not as critical and will last longer than the rear. SO go for the rear first, unless you have money to throw around.

I say you won't listen cause everybody wants a strong wheel but then decides on lite wieght low spoke counts cause they look cool!

Old 01-23-07, 02:49 AM

Bikes: BMC SR02, 07 Cannondale Capo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
congrats on the job well done.. and i think a 520 is justifiable as a damn nice bike
Old 01-24-07, 10:28 PM
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Yo, Matty:
Here's a thought: get the 520 as a reward for breaking 300. Not because it can't handle the extra 10 pounds (it can), but as an extra incentive to make an awsome feat even better.

A big thumbs-up to you. I surprised myself (unpleasantly) by stepping on a scale two or three weeks ago and having it say 295. It is now saying 290, and I'm trying to keep the trend going, so you have my admiration for your accomplishment.

And when you get that 520, ride the hell out of it.
Old 06-22-08, 10:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have decided to buy myself a Trek 520 when I become light enough to ride one without killing it. Can someone offer suggestions as to what weight I should be for that bike. Also, can someone tell what approx size frame I would need? I have only ridden mountain bikes and and dont know what cm size I need. I am 6' tall with a 32 inch inseam clothes wise.

Thanks,

Matty in Brooklyn
Wow!!! I wrote that almost a year and a half ago! I was 310 pounds at the time.

So now for an update:

I am now 268 pounds. That means that I lost 42 pounds since then. (92 pounds total)

I just bought my brand new Trek 520 on Wednesday and did my first century on Saturday. It was rough near the end, but I did it. I never though I could do it until my friends in the "northeast" section of this website talked me into it. Bikeforums is the best!
Old 06-22-08, 11:48 PM

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Pictures or it didn't happen. Just kidding, Congrarulations on both.
Old 06-23-08, 08:59 AM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's Stevesurf giving last rites to a not yet dead Matty. He changed his mind about being buried there when the home owner yelled at all of us to get off his lawn. He then went on to complete his first century. Sorry, no pics of his bike, and truthfully, I didn't even look at it.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 06-23-08, 12:35 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess is, you want a 25" which is as big as the 520 is currently are made--they used to have a 25.5" but that was looooong ago. I wouldn't worry about breaking a a 520 CroMo mike.
Old 06-23-08, 01:23 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I agree 100% with wags....the 520 is an incredibly tough bike designed for loaded touring.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 06-23-08, 02:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Here's Stevesurf giving last rites to a not yet dead Matty. He changed his mind about being buried there when the home owner yelled at all of us to get off his lawn. He then went on to complete his first century. Sorry, no pics of his bike, and truthfully, I didn't even look at it.
Wow! At least you got my best side: laying flat on my back
Old 06-23-08, 02:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wagathon
My guess is, you want a 25" which is as big as the 520 is currently are made--they used to have a 25.5" but that was looooong ago. I wouldn't worry about breaking a a 520 CroMo mike.
Actually I got the 21" because that gave me about an inch of space from the top tube to the bottom of my junk while straddling the bike.
Old 06-23-08, 04:50 PM

Bikes: Steelman road bike, '81 Schwinn Le Tour single speed,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
congrats matty. I'm on Long Island and also a clyde (started at 325, down to 305lbs, goal is 230lbs). I should be back in the 200's very soon I hope.
Old 06-23-08, 05:06 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually I got the 21" because that gave me about an inch of space from the top tube to the bottom of my junk while straddling the bike.
The geo chart says 2" for the 21. Even the 23 has a sub-32" standover height, according to the geo chart, and that does not include shoes. But, whatever works best, so long as you can use the drops; otherwise, you'd be locked into an aggressive posture at the top of the bars.
Old 07-01-08, 08:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
Pictures or it didn't happen. Just kidding, Congrarulations on both.
Jyossarian provided the picture (see above) and here is the GPS data:
https://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6129885
Old 07-01-08, 04:38 PM
the actual el guapo

Bikes: '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm... I would hate to kill the rims. I loosen up the spokes om my mountain bike rims now.

Matty in Brooklyn
oddly enough, i had this problem with my db comfort bike. haven't had a problem with any of my other bikes (steel roadie, cf roadie, trek hybrid).

but, as a clyde, when my rear wheel starts to get out of true, i have it trued right away. seems like on my db, as soon as the wheel started to warp, it wasn't long before i'd pop a spoke.