Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Moving ST shifters to new handlebar - total dissasembly?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 09:34 PM

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Getting ready to change handlebars. Current bars have 10 spd STI shifters installed. I have never installed a set of shifters before but I have replaced brake cables. I would like to avoid pulling all the cables completely out if it is possible to "loosen up" all the connections and be able to reach the bar clamp, slide the shifters off the old bar and then slide them onto the new bar.
Is that possible or am I stuck with complete dissasembly. Bike is only several months old so I don't need to replace the cables now and was hoping I could avoid that process.
Old 01-22-07, 10:10 PM
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't even need to loosen the brake cables(or shift), they will stay in the shifters better if you don't.
Remove the tape and loosen the clamps(5mm allen) they should slide off.
Swap the bar, if you have a sinlge bolt stem go ahead and remove it from the steerer, makes getting it around the bar easier.
Slide your shifters back on tighten the clamps and tape the housings in place. Make sure the brakes feel good before bartaping.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 01-22-07, 10:14 PM

Bikes: VooDoo Limba, 2000 GF Kai Tai, old lugged fixies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure. Just try not to kink any cables in the process. Also try slacking the cables enough to remove the housing from between the cable stops on the frame. This will give you even more slack to play with, then all you have to do is get the housing back in place. If you do end up disconnecting cables and can't figure it out beyond that just get the bike together as much as possible then take it down to your local bike shop. They will most likely charge 5-10 dollars to check it over and even give you some pointers on dialing the shifting in (if they're anything like my shop)
Old 01-23-07, 05:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. That is what I wanted to hear!
Old 01-24-07, 05:17 PM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 with Ultegra/105, Ksyrium Elites, Powertap Pro, Toupe saddle, and Thomson X2 stem (gotta have something Thomson); Felt F65, Trek SU200, Trek 7300 FX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I brought this up in another recent thread, but since it is related, how tight does one tighten these shifters back on the handlebar? About as tight as it will go before you turn blue in the face, or much less tight than that? I understand this all so very subjective, but information is information nonetheless and may prove valuable anyway.
Old 01-24-07, 06:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The book answer per Shimano literature is 52-69 in lbs.
Old 01-24-07, 08:24 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And to answer the inevitable question, the clamp bolt for most Shimano brifters is located on the side of the unit, you'll need to roll back the hood to access them.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.