Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Raleigh One Way

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 10:05 PM
hehe... member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh One Way

Anyone seen the new Raleigh? Did a search and couldn't find any threads about it. Has a lot of the features discussed in that earlier Redline 925 thread. It's a little bit pricier I think. $650 or so. Some of the components are kinda iffy, but if it's not too heavy it could be real cool. Then again, I guess you could also just throw some fenders on a Bianchi San Jose and have the same thing.

Linky here
Old 01-22-07, 10:51 PM
VOTE FOR KEN WIND

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Off the rack SS - Raleigh One-Way or Bianchi San Jose

I got this with the first search I tried, and I know there is more info on this board somewhere.

Edit: Check this out too.

A discussion of budget fixed-specific frames/complete bikes
Old 01-23-07, 02:14 PM
No school like old school

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like mine. I bought it about a month ago. With the big tires and fenders it's a commuter's dream. The brake levers are awful, I swapped them out for some old 105s I had laying around and put some look pedals on.

Haven't ridden it a lot. I rode it on a 2-3 ~25 mile rides. I've been too busy to take the time to ride to work (long commute).

I bought mine of craigslist as a discounted new bike (I guess Raleigh had donated it to Marymoor Velodrome and were selling it to raise funds) so I got it for $450 but it didn't have the fixed cog on it.

A hint for searching BF: use google and restrict to the BF forums. It works so much better and you can use complex queries. Try this:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

You get a lot more hits that way.

I've been surprised at how little interest there's been the One Way on BF. It's prolly the commuter setup that turns people off.

Who else here has one?

Last edited by stieg; 01-23-07 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-23-07, 02:43 PM
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a great rig, big tires and fenders and cantis and all of that. Not everybody hates those brake levers, they're knockoff campy ergo and probably the best thing out there if you find big ergo/sti hoods to be comfortable.

Unfounded speculation: If you plan to go to smaller tires, if this thing has the medium size fenders I would try to swap for the small ones, the medium front is like a parachute, esp without a big tire running interference for it.

Anybody know what the hubs are?
Old 01-23-07, 02:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I knew how much it weighed. I don't have a scale.

Maybe I'm old school with the brake levers. I'm getting back into riding after a ~8 year hiatus and I'm riding old bikes with what I consider 'normal' levers. I'm offically an old fart at 35 years old -- I've never ridden STI levers!

Last edited by stieg; 01-24-07 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-23-07, 02:51 PM
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, if you don't like 'em you don't like 'em, nothing wrong with that. Was just giving people an idea of what they are.
Old 01-23-07, 06:46 PM

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I think this is a great bike. The hubs are listed as "alloy sealed" track hubs. My lbs said they have entry level everything on them, but I test rode one and it was great. I wound up going with a geared flat bar because there are hills in my area and I'm just getting back into biking after a loooong hiatus. I still have the catalog page hanging at my computer and will consider one later this year.
Old 01-23-07, 10:38 PM

Bikes: Rossin Track Bike,Canondale Track, RB-1, Ridley Crossbow, Felt Breed, Felt Sector 24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got one this past September, great bike. I've tinkered with it quite a bit, but it is pretty nice out of the box.
Old 01-23-07, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
I think this is a great bike. The hubs are listed as "alloy sealed" track hubs. My lbs said they have entry level everything on them
Depends on your definition of entry level, I personally wouldn't consider double wall eyeleted rims with sealed bearing hubs entry level by any stretch. I wish I had to loot right now to buy one.
Old 01-24-07, 04:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoshFrank
I got one this past September, great bike. I've tinkered with it quite a bit, but it is pretty nice out of the box.
Josh - any parts you think need replacing more than others?
Old 01-24-07, 04:28 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Rush Hour 2006

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Raleigh Rush Hour which is very similar, just without the fenders and I think a different chainring and $50 less. If I had waited another couple of months I would have picked up this model instead as it wasn't out yet.

I don't know how much weight the fenders add but I can toss the Rush Hour around with very little effort. Its very easy to open the double apartment doors with the bike on my shoulder and take the bike up three flights of stairs to my apartment. As far as parts, I swapped out the handlebars for bullhorns as I can't get used to drops. The only other thing I changed was getting a new pair of brake pads.

Otherwise its great, its easy to maintain, very light, and for the money I think its a great deal.
Old 01-24-07, 04:46 PM
Cornucopia of Awesomeness

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
I think this is a great bike. The hubs are listed as "alloy sealed" track hubs. My lbs said they have entry level everything on them, but I test rode one and it was great.

they sure look like the Novatec/dimension/nashbar/some hubs to me..
Old 01-24-07, 04:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drfardook
I have the Raleigh Rush Hour which is very similar, just without the fenders and I think a different chainring and $50 less. If I had waited another couple of months I would have picked up this model instead as it wasn't out yet.
I had assumed that the Rush Hour was a very different frame since the One Way has 35c tires WITH Fenders and room to spare for bigger tires. It also has a longer wheelbase.

I've never seen a Rush Hour or spent much time comparing spec so I don't know. I think they are quite a bit different.
Old 01-24-07, 05:51 PM
The King of Town

Bikes: Haro Backtrail 20" (MISSING), Fuji Berkeley fixie, Huffy cruisercommuterdeathmobile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's awesome... it reminds me of my bike.
Old 01-24-07, 06:08 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Stock Vittoria Randonneur Cross tires are kinda sluggish, rear fender attachment near the BB isn't the greatest, stock saddle is an a$$ hatchet with padding (note I put a B17 on mine), prolly weighs in at about 25lbs, better as a SS than a fixie - the fixie cog wears fast, but not a bad bike.

"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-24-07, 08:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
ear fender attachment near the BB isn't the greatest, .... the fixie cog wears fast, but not a bad bike.
Mine came with the fender zip-tied to the seat tube! Guess somebody pre-emptively fixed it. Also mine came without the fixed gear. LBS had to order and install one. It looks fairly beefy. One of the cogs they almost put on it (they had it laying around) was really weeny-looking. It was a 15t and I have lots of hills here so I needed a 17t and they ordered it.
Old 01-24-07, 09:35 PM
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everybody keeps saying "big tires' - just how big a tire will this thing take?
Old 01-24-07, 09:43 PM

Bikes: trek 6700 mtb, raleigh rush hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this looks pretty different from the rush hour (i own a rush hour). the one way looks like it has way more tire clearance than the rush hour, as well as a slightly sloping TT (the rush has a straight TT). the rush hour just looks like it has much tighter geometry overall, but that's just eyeballing it (i'm too lazy to go compare specs).
Old 01-25-07, 07:19 AM

Bikes: Rossin Track Bike,Canondale Track, RB-1, Ridley Crossbow, Felt Breed, Felt Sector 24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stieg
Josh - any parts you think need replacing more than others?
Not really, Chips got a point about the tires but thats true about almost any stock tire. I modified the rear fender with a bolt when building it, few weeks later my boss managed to knock the bike over snapping the rear one. He bought me some SKS cromoplastics Mine also came with a set of safety release tabs on the rear, these a usually only on the front fender. The tabs allow you to pop the fender out of the way when you want to remove the rear wheel, they can be had for around $2 and are a usefull mod to any bike with trackends/fenders. Here's a pic, my current dry weight is around 40lbs...
Old 01-25-07, 08:55 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenrobot
Everybody keeps saying "big tires' - just how big a tire will this thing take?
Comes with 700x35. You should be able to go with 38s with the fenders, maybe 45s without. I originally got mine for a snow bike and the 700x35 Kenda Klondikes I put on required me to adjust the fenders to about their max.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-24-07, 08:09 AM
huaraches es amor

Bikes: n+1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anybody know what the hub spacing is on the bike?
Old 03-24-07, 08:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's 120mm
Old 03-24-07, 08:28 AM
huaraches es amor

Bikes: n+1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anybody got any opinions how it would fare as a singlespeed cross bike?
Old 03-24-07, 01:38 PM
It's an old photo

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it very much, and it woulda been perfect for me, but what with the canti's/bosses (which probably means the cable stops aren't removable like the Rush hour), I can't go brakeless/stealth.

But what I'm wondering, is can a Rush Hour accomodate fenders? If so, which ones should I get that might be detachable? By the way, I would probably run 25 width tires.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-24-07, 01:45 PM
Hey.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like that bike more every time I see it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.