Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

urge to throw up when riding ?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 06:19 AM
key

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

when i ride i almost instanly get thirsty (am i not drinking enough water before the ride ?) and when i drink some water i feel stick

why is this so ?
Old 01-25-07, 09:38 AM
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dehydration can cause nausea. I always make sure to get plenty of water before(30 minutes) I go on a ride. You also have to get acclimated to eating and drinking while exercising. You may also be pushing too hard. If you push too hard or are not acclimated your body will shunt much of your blood away from the GI tract and to your working muscles. Dump some food or water in an essentially dormant stomach and you are asking for trouble.

Last edited by slowandsteady; 01-25-07 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-25-07, 11:12 AM
Chief Chef

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Touring, 70s Motobecane Grand Record, Sekai 2500, crappy mountain bike from dumpster, cyclone cycles titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you new to cycling/exercise? When I went to college at age 18, I was extremely out of shape. My roommate was a fitness nut and he convinced me to start jogging with him in the mornings. I felt like throwing up the first couple weeks I ran, but I stuck with it and that feeling stopped occurring.
Old 01-25-07, 04:03 PM
Senor Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by key
when i ride i almost instanly get thirsty (am i not drinking enough water before the ride ?) and when i drink some water i feel stick

why is this so ?
I was the same way on the early morning commutes. As soon as I would get a few minutes out I would start to cough like crazy and dry heave. Now that you guys mention it maybe it was dehydration because I would get up have my cereal and coffee and take off. This was the only time it would happen, and I am sure the coffee did not help when it came to being hydrated.
Old 01-25-07, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by key

why is this so ?
Due to the changes in hormones when exercising, by the time you FEEL thirsty, it is already way, way too late; you're already dehydrated. Putting water into your stomach then will cause some nausea. Try sipping a couple gulps of water every 10-15 minutes.

Drink a glass of water 30-minute before riding. This will give your body some time to absorb it. You won't immediately feel thirsty on the ride and won't need to drink too much.

As for the coffee + cereal case, it's probably not dehydration. Coffee won't dehydrate you until you start peeing 30-minutes later. And the dehydration effects of coffee is nowhere nearly as severe as... exercising and sweating away liters of water. In this instance, it's most likely just some discomfort and cramping from immediately riding after a meal on a full belly.
Old 01-25-07, 04:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes in the summer I would drink so much water that it would slosh around in my stomach making me feel sick. Try eating some ginger snaps (with real ginger in them) as they will naturally help your stomach be settled down. (Mythbusters even proved that ginger really does work). The ginger snaps also work as a good snack. They are what I take on all my rides as a snack instead of power bars and the likes.
Old 01-28-07, 10:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know what causes the urge to chuck during intense anaerobic efforts? I've always assumed it was due to the fact that you're functioning at a level where you're body isn't getting enough O2 to maintain that effort level....i.e.....oxygen deprivation. But I'm just guessing.