Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Delivery Time for Project One Bike from Trek Mfr

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-07, 09:42 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've read some war stories of how long it takes to receive a bike that has been ordered. Granted, it would take a good wait for a custom-built bike. But would it take over a month, to order a stock bike from a bike manufacturer, if the bike you want (or need fitted to) is not carried by your LBS?

I would like to order my bike (50 cm) directly from Trek, and to request a Project One paint job. I'm not Irish, but I've put away some beers on St Patrick's day in a former life, and a green bike would be cool.

I can see a bit of a wait, to order a stock bike directly from the Trek Mfr ... in order to get the Project One paint job. I can see a longer wait, to get in line for a Project One paint job.

Any war stories from the group, on how long of a wait I might have, if:
* I order a stock bike from Trek, and sent to my LBS?
* I order a stock bike from Trek ... get a Project One paint job ... and sent to my LBS?
Old 01-27-07, 01:24 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I've ordered two bikes from Trek. The first one was a stock setup and took a little longer than what they had indicated-I think it was about 60 days but this was 4 years ago.

I had a horrible experience time-wise with Trek on the second frame two years ago. I think most of it had to do with the fact I was ordering a frame size (62) which they just didn't build many of. Plus they were way behind on production at the time so that added to the misery. I think they have resolved some of the production issues since then but your Trek LBS should be able to give you some guidance on their recent experience. I've learned that Trek doles out bikes to the LBS's by volume so you would probably have better luck with a LBS that has a higher volume. I think I've heard they reserve "slots" for Project One bikes so that should help with delivery some.

Good luck. My guess is that if you're buying a more common frame size it will be delivered faster. Your bike will come but it will probably take a little longer than what you'd like and what you initially expect. Add 3-4 weeks to what they quote you and then be patience when it slips past that time period a little.
Old 01-27-07, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Local Trek dealer just told me last week the Trek is way behind on distribution....
Old 01-27-07, 05:58 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From jppe: ... add 3-4 weeks to what they quote you ...
From NOS88: ... Trek is way behind on distribution ...

Thanks for the info so far. I may be in for a really long waiting period, if I have to have ALL the money for the bike ... before I am allowed to place an order ... in order to begin the wait for delivery.

Because there might be a good chunk of time between order & receive, does the Mfr allow you to make a partial payment up front ... in order to begin the order & wait ... with final payment when picking up the bike from the LBS?
Old 01-27-07, 08:29 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a new Trek last October. The LBS ordered it on Monday and I was riding it the following Saturday. Maybe I just lucked out with mine.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-27-07, 10:17 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad
From jppe:
Because there might be a good chunk of time between order & receive, does the Mfr allow you to make a partial payment up front ... in order to begin the order & wait ... with final payment when picking up the bike from the LBS?
If you order from the LBS, usually it depends on the LBS. Most would just allow a small down payment with the remainder paid upon receipt of the bike.

Something to think about, but the LBS I dealt with would upgrade any components on the new bike for just the cost difference in the components with no additional labor. I think I upgraded the shifters from Ultegra to Dura Ace and also possibly the rear derailleur as well. I thought it was smart money..........Since I eventually wound up going full Dura Ace it was money well spent for me.
Old 01-27-07, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I orderd a Project One bike from Trek just about exactly a year ago. They told me it would take six weeks to arrive, and it showed up in four weeks. The bike was exactly what I asked for, from the components to the details of the paint job.

Your mileage, of course, may vary and probably will. But I was very satisfied.
Old 01-27-07, 10:54 PM
Hypoxic Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Motorad
I got a custom bike last March with no (exactly $0.00) money up front.
I was willing to go 50% but wasn't asked.
Old 01-28-07, 11:02 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. A good recommendation from jppe, about no labor cost charged by LBS, if upgrading components on a new bike. From everything I've read about the Pilot 5.9, all components appear perfect for my predicted riding style. However...

The only thing I would replace would be the saddle, with a high probability of wanting a Brooks B17 Champion Special (kudos to BlueDawg-recommendation). Would the LBS slap on a new Brooks B17 Champion Special, could they find a green color ... and should there be a wait-consideration for the LBS to find a green B17 Champion Special?
Old 01-28-07, 11:04 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PS: Would the LBS slap on a new Brooks B17 Champion Special green saddle, on a new bike, with no labor cost as long as I buy the seat through the LBS?
Old 01-28-07, 12:37 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Why do you keep asking us what your LBS will do? Ask them!
Old 01-28-07, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might have just been caught when the manufacturing run of "your" bike did not match up with your order. Having spent some time in manufacturing, it never fails that you set up a run of something and then an order comes in for something else. At best you should get an answer from the seller as to when you should see the bike. Good luck. Keep us posted.