Search this Thread

Old 01-27-07, 03:25 PM

Bikes: american ridgeback and dahon folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone from italy

hi, i'm wondering if anyone is from the lake garda area of italy as i'm going there for 2 weeks in september and was wondering what the area was like for cycling as i'm taking my bike.
Old 01-28-07, 02:16 PM
Studs Terkel

Bikes: Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire; Merckx San Remo 76.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that whole region is considered to be a biking paradise. Ask in the touring or road biking forums.
Old 02-17-07, 11:25 PM
Principiante

Bikes: Masi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am originally from Brescia, the city at the west side of the lake, left there a few years ago but did a few rides around there, are you going with a road or mtb, and where exactly are you going to stay?
The north side of the lake is notorious for great mtb rides, the south is good for road riding.
I have a few friends in the area and some have a lot of experience with great rides....
Ciao
Paolo
Old 02-22-07, 11:46 PM

Bikes: Ruby Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lake Garada is a wonderful area

hi Cutebikergirl,
The lake Garda region is wonderful. I spend a lot of my summer months there cycling.
I stay near the lake in Lazise and ride from there to Monte Baldo and the hills of the valpolicella wine region. I'd say lets go for a ride but I will be running tours in France and Tuscany in September.
If you would like, I know some local guides in the area.
Ciao
Carrie
Old 03-15-07, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cutebikerbabe
hi, i'm wondering if anyone is from the lake garda area of italy as i'm going there for 2 weeks in september and was wondering what the area was like for cycling as i'm taking my bike.
I would like to go there and eat i-talian food.
Old 03-26-07, 09:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The area around Lake Garda is excellent cycling. Mount Baldo is one of the greatest rides you can ever do. Remember, there are hills in Italy! (Baldo has several sections of 15 percent, and one short stretch of 20 percent. That's according to the road signs, anyway.)

There are great rides north of the lake too. And, if you head east just over the river, there are great rollign hills (steep rolling hills) with vineyards at every turn.

Definitely bring bike.

Ciao
Old 04-02-07, 11:02 AM

Bikes: 3 Colnagos, Olmo, Bottecchia, Gazelle, Davidson tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Believe the signs, but, for much of the way, the going is fairly easy if approached from the lake side at Torri del Benaco. The steepest, as I recall, is that short stretch of around 1 kilometer just before the parking area at Monte Baldo.
Old 04-08-07, 11:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, I beleive, I believe!

I did believe the signs. That is, my LEGS believed! I don't have a map in front of me, but we took a long climb from the southeast tha went almost directly north the entire way to the top -- went through a small town down low called, maybe, Spiazza? No, not that, but close. So, we were on the east side of the peak as we rode the entire time. There were several stretches of 15 percent, then we thought we had hit the top as it flattened, only to run into the 20 percent section. It was only a few hundred meters, but it was stiff! The funny part: I was pushing hard to get through the section, then looked down at the conclusion to find that I had one more gear to go and didn't use it. Delirium!

The coolest part maybe? The downhill bomb to Avio through what was possibly the most spectacular cut through cliffs I've ever ridden.

Nice loop back to the car south along the (Adige?) river.

Cheers