Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Anyone try a Motobecane Cross

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 04:16 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts

Were talking low end here. But for about $650 it really doesn't look bad. https://cgi.ebay.com/2007-MOTOBECANE-...QQcmdZViewItem My son's old MTB is way too small. I figured this would be plenty rugged for a do anything bike.

Has anyone had any experience with Vuelta wheels? I know Tiagra/105 is more than adequate in the drivetrain dept.

Tim
Old 01-30-07, 07:12 AM

Bikes: 1998 Trek 7000, 2007 Surly Crosscheck, 2008 GT Peace 9r Multi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you do a search, you'll finnd plenty of threads tied to your question. Most deal with the "parent" company, Bikes Direct, and whether it is ok to purchase a bike from them. I did in fact purchase a 54cm Fantom Cross from Bikes Direct, via EBay, last fall. The ethics of the purchase aside, so far it has been a really good bike for a non-competitive rider like me. It is essentially a Fuji Cross Pro, with different stickers and paint job. The component groupo is much better than what you would find on similar priced bikes at a local shop. That said, the one warning that has come up time and again is the ability to fit the bike to the rider properly without the benefit of actually sitting on the bike before you purchase it. I did ok with the fit because I stopped growing a long time ago. however, if the purchase is for your son, you might want to give it some extra consideration. All in all, its a very good bike for the money, IMO.
Old 01-30-07, 06:44 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by LBIkid
If you do a search, you'll finnd plenty of threads tied to your question. Most deal with the "parent" company, Bikes Direct, and whether it is ok to purchase a bike from them. I did in fact purchase a 54cm Fantom Cross from Bikes Direct, via EBay, last fall. The ethics of the purchase aside, so far it has been a really good bike for a non-competitive rider like me. It is essentially a Fuji Cross Pro, with different stickers and paint job. The component groupo is much better than what you would find on similar priced bikes at a local shop. That said, the one warning that has come up time and again is the ability to fit the bike to the rider properly without the benefit of actually sitting on the bike before you purchase it. I did ok with the fit because I stopped growing a long time ago. however, if the purchase is for your son, you might want to give it some extra consideration. All in all, its a very good bike for the money, IMO.
I noticed that the group was way over what is usually on $650 bike. Most come with Sora or lower in that price range. I agree with you on the size thing. It's tough to judge how much someone will grow. If all else fails I could inherit the bike in a year. It is dad's money after all.

Tim