Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

700c fork recommendations please?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I need to purchase a new fork for the miyata six ten I'm building up. I'd like to have something suited for unsupported heavy touring though the bike will see its primary use as my daily commuter (~40mi/day). What's your recommendations?

I'd like something good quality, 700c with Cantilever/disc brake mounts, fender eyelets, pannier mounts, and plenty of clearance for wide rims/tires.

Thanks in advance for the advice...
Old 01-30-07, 11:46 PM
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can buy forks from Surly for all of their bikes like the LHT and Cross Check. I believe you can also buy them from Soma. Unfortunately, choosing a fork that will work with your bike isn't that easy since there are many variables to look at lke trail, balde length etc.... If you have the old fork, take it to a shop you trust, preferrable one that deals with custom bikes. See if they can take a few measurements and then try and match it up with what's out there. Other than that, you could go through a lot of trial and error. Independent Fabrication also makes forks but they are not as pretty as the Surly or even Soma.
Old 01-31-07, 12:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I can't believe I wrote this without specifying that I was looking for a 1" steering tube, threaded/threadless (replacing headset, don't care)... Thanks...

Originally Posted by int19
Hello all,

I need to purchase a new fork for the miyata six ten I'm building up. I'd like to have something suited for unsupported heavy touring though the bike will see its primary use as my daily commuter (~40mi/day). What's your recommendations?

I'd like something good quality, 700c with Cantilever/disc brake mounts, fender eyelets, pannier mounts, and plenty of clearance for wide rims/tires.

Thanks in advance for the advice...
Old 01-31-07, 12:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...easy since there are many variables to look at lke trail, balde length etc....
trail == rake? I've never heard of that term...

I am planning to hit several shops this weekend, but I was hoping to get some input here to cross-reference against what they tell me...
Old 01-31-07, 12:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vicious is the only way to go for a solid fork for disc brakes:

https://www.viciouscycles.com/forks.php3
Old 01-31-07, 12:52 AM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
you will find VERY FEW 1" forks that are 'touring' stout.

boy, we go around this at the parts counter at the bike shop pretty regularily, and there are not many (i.e. 1 or 2) good options in 1". let me look into it at work tomorrow, i'll post again tomorrow night.
Old 01-31-07, 12:53 AM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
disc mounts on a 1".. good luck.
Old 01-31-07, 01:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I stand corrected. Although Vicious makes great disc forks, they don't make one in a 1" steerer tube; I can't think of one manufacturer that does. Try a custom fork from Vanilla maybe?
Old 01-31-07, 01:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
disc mounts on a 1".. good luck.
No disc is not a deal breaker. I'm looking for canti's and eyelets... lowrider's preferably too... Thanks Bekologist...
Old 01-31-07, 01:54 AM
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
This is a good value in steel, made in same factory as surly, takes up to ~45mm tire:

https://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=FK1268

I've got one in atb version, ok so far, made by aprebic (tw). Good price right now:

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...20Road%20Forks

Afaik, no one makes EXACTLY what you're looking for (mid fork pannier bosses are rare). You could make your own with the dimension fork, 2 bottle bosses, a drill, a propane torch and some bronze/brass - then paint to match the 610. Add a housing guide while you're at it. A lot of work, think i'd just clamp on.

If you haven't messed with disc you are in for some surprises on fitting rack, fender, lever, housing guide etc. So if you're not committed to disc you're better off with the foprk below. Tange makes a fine, excellent value steel fork:

https://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=FK2474
Old 01-31-07, 02:32 AM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nashbar has a carbon fork that comes in 1" has canti and disc mounts and the low eyelets (all you need for racks and fenders). They mention touring as one use.

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...20Road%20Forks

No canti just disc

https://parts.spicercycles.com/page.c...ils&sku=FK1268

Surly Cantis no discs

https://parts.spicercycles.com/page.c...ils&sku=FK0110

Tange canti with a lot of rake for lower angle than 72 head tubes.

https://parts.spicercycles.com/page.c...ils&sku=FK2474

Most touring frames in 700 C that look normal, you know, no shocks etc... Have pretty similar geometry, and very similar steering angles. Most of them are 72 degrees in the head tube and most of these forks are set up at 45 degrees. If you have lower angles in the head tube then the steering will slow down, no picking your way through rock gardens, and that is where more fork rake comes in.

Axle to crown height also maters, if you have your old fork you can measure that one up, and pick something close. measure from where the lower edge of the headset touches the crown of the fork, to the point where the center of the axle would be. You may need to eyeball this or place a skewer in the drops so you can get a central measure. The idea here is you want the length from the wheel center to the lower edge of the headset to be real similar or it changes the steering angle and slope of your bike.

If you want to measure the offset/rake, then get a flat surface. Put something flat as a spacer on top of it so that when you rest the driver's side of the steering tube on it, the back of the fork is clear of the main surface. You want the steering tube parallel to the main surface, with nothing touching the main surface, and the drops pointing up and level. Now measure from the center of the drops to the main surface. Then measure from the main surface to the center of the tube (or the lower edge and add half the tube diameter). Subtract the smaller from the larger and what remains is the rake. So if you get 45mm another 45mm fork with similar crown height will work well for you. This is the measurement from the center of the axle to an imaginary line through the center of the head tube, at the nearest point.

Since new forks will not necessarily allow you to mount the lower bearing on the race. You may need the services of a bike store to cut the race to proper dimensions. Keeping this in mind a lot of local shops can order Tange, or perhaps these other brands and set your bike up for you, Tange makes lots of forks. The crown race can also be cut on a lathe if you know anyone who has a middling to large one.
Old 01-31-07, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NYCBIKES (in Brooklyn) sells a steel fork, 1" steerer, canti mounts, 700c with lowrider & fender eyelets on ebay. Or you can call the shop directly (It's called Spokes & Strings).

I don't know the type of steel (hi-ten, chromoly, butted?). The forks are unpainted, so you have to deal with that. I believe they are threadless.

Rich