Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

freewheel removal

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

freewheel removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 06:55 PM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
freewheel removal

I picked up an ENO freewheel on craigslist the other day. I have a free/free Surly hub, so I just greased up the threads on the unused side and threaded on the ENO. Still, it's time for my crappy Shimano to go. There's no sense running two 17t freewheels.

I picked up a freewheel tool to get the Shimano off but that and a crecent wrench aren't cutting it. I found this on the Park tool site. If I'm understanding correctly I want to secure the freewheel tool against the freewheel with the axle nut, then grip the tool in the vise and rotate? Should I try a longer wrench with the tool first?

What's my next step if this doesn't work? (Yes I did grease the Shimano freewheel and hub threads liberally when installing). I don't want to **** up my hub or my wheel, and while I don't technically HAVE to do this now I'll need to do it eventually.
Old 01-31-07, 06:58 PM
TRUED 'TIL DEATH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen the LBS get the tool on with the wrench, then put the axle nut on, put the wheel on the ground standing, and just give the wrench a swift kick to loosen it up.
Old 01-31-07, 07:11 PM

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DerekRI
I've seen the LBS get the tool on with the wrench, then put the axle nut on, put the wheel on the ground standing, and just give the wrench a swift kick to loosen it up.
Hmm. Well I tried a rubber mallet at home and that was no-go. I'm planning on stopping by my coop shop on the way home though. They've got a vise and more tools (and my gf who objects to my cursing at bike repairs will not be there ).
Old 01-31-07, 08:55 PM
MADE IN HONG KONG

Bikes: some but not enough

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clamp the freewheel tool in a bench vise and turn the wheel like a steering wheel on a Mac truck. Note, you must take great care to push down on the dogs while you turn the wheel or the tool will "cam out". This will ruin the tool by either rounding the edges or snaping the dogs off.

Overall, this should be an easy operation.
Old 01-31-07, 08:59 PM
MADE IN HONG KONG

Bikes: some but not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh right, just re read your post. good idea to hold the tool in place with the axle nut if you can. But the easiest thing to do is to use a bench vise....which you have access to.
Old 01-31-07, 09:09 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I got stuck at work tonight. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 02-01-07, 07:23 AM
aspiring dirtbag commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah if your a big fella or just ride hard these things can really gets stuck on...

i destroyed the small vice in my garage trying to remove my last one. luckily the shop had a really big vise and we were able to pop it off. not without a considerable struggle though.
Old 02-01-07, 09:12 AM
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I hold the rim, and use a giant pair of stillsons to turn the tool. The trouble I have is that as you loosen the freewheel, it tightens the wheelnut you have holding the whole thing on the axle. I have to stop about every 1/4 turn to slacken that off, and it makes me unhappy inside.
Old 02-01-07, 09:29 AM
antisocialite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
axle nut is the way to go. if it's stuck i'll hold the wheel with my hand and stand on the wrench. usually works, not always though...

to be fair that was on a stuck bb fixed cup. and yes, i was turning it the right way...
Old 02-02-07, 10:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by poopncow
Clamp the freewheel tool in a bench vise and turn the wheel like a steering wheel on a Mac truck. Note, you must take great care to push down on the dogs while you turn the wheel or the tool will "cam out". This will ruin the tool by either rounding the edges or snaping the dogs off.

Overall, this should be an easy operation.
This is what we did at the shop I worked at all the time. I still use this technique at home. Another posted for really stuck freewheels to put your QR on to make sure that tool does not "cam out" as Poopncow put it. This is a great trick. After the inital breaking loose of the freewheel, you can remove the QR all togehter since at that point, unless you cross-treaded it, it should come off really easily.

IMO, I would never NOT use a benchvise as the method of removing. When you are pressing down on a wrench while the wheel is standing leads to a stripped tool, or worse, a stripped or damaged freewheel because there is very little pressure making sure the teeth on the removal tool are engaging properly.
Old 02-02-07, 11:04 AM
domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marqueemoon
If I'm understanding correctly I want to secure the freewheel tool against the freewheel with the axle nut, then grip the tool in the vise and rotate?
That's how I do it. Place freewheel tool in notches. Thread axle nut on loosely to keep the freewheel tool from coming out of the notches. I don't crank the axle nut on tight because it seems it would act as a jamb nut in that case. Flip the wheel over and clamp the freewheel tool in a bench vise. Then act like you are making a left turn while "driving the bus".
Old 02-02-07, 01:08 PM

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Professional, 1997 Milano 3v, 2004 Surly Karate Monkey, 2007 Surly Crosscheck, 1984 Hutch Pro Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtyphotons
axle nut is the way to go. if it's stuck i'll hold the wheel with my hand and stand on the wrench. usually works, not always though...

to be fair that was on a stuck bb fixed cup. and yes, i was turning it the right way...
What kind of a wrench is that? Hope you didn't bang into something in a nasty way when it broke!
Old 02-02-07, 01:12 PM
antisocialite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Snordalisk
What kind of a wrench is that? Hope you didn't bang into something in a nasty way when it broke!
haha, oh yeah. forgot to give my loving endorsement of the park hcw 15

i was standing on it, and luckily my foot just fell to the ground when it broke. it did make a nice sound when it snapped and clanged around on my balcony though. i got several shouts of "everything okay?" from the neighbors. they thought the broken wrench was pretty cool...