Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Tire recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-07, 01:19 AM
eli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire recommendations?

I need tips on replacement tires for a older Peugeot with 27 x 1 1/4 inch wheels. The bike is to be used as a daily commuter and the commute is over roads that on the 1-10 scale for quality of surface, 10 being best, rate a 4-5, maybe 6. The rims are steel with 36 spokes and original and what rubber is on there now is dry-rotted.

I'm starting out about 300 plus pounds and will carry about 35 pounds in textbooks, etc back and forth to school.

I'd rather buy 1 quality tire, tube, liner, than 2 or three cheap tires that just will not get the job done.

All feedback is welcomed

Cheers,
Eli
Old 02-02-07, 04:21 AM

Bikes: BMC SR02, 07 Cannondale Capo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
search there are multiple clydes topics on wheel and or tire preference. high psi is a must with us tho
Old 02-02-07, 06:31 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by eli
I need tips on replacement tires for a older Peugeot with 27 x 1 1/4 inch wheels. The bike is to be used as a daily commuter and the commute is over roads that on the 1-10 scale for quality of surface, 10 being best, rate a 4-5, maybe 6. The rims are steel with 36 spokes and original and what rubber is on there now is dry-rotted.

I'm starting out about 300 plus pounds and will carry about 35 pounds in textbooks, etc back and forth to school.

I'd rather buy 1 quality tire, tube, liner, than 2 or three cheap tires that just will not get the job done.

All feedback is welcomed

Cheers,
Eli
Continental Ultrasport (70-100 PSI inflation range), and run around 90-100 PSI. If you want Kevlar, you can either get the Ultrasport Kevlar or a kevlar tire liner. I run the Ultrasport and don't even bother with the liner. In a pinch, you can get the Bell 27X11\4 @ Walmart and run 90 PSI for an easily available, relatively inexpensive backup. If you want thew Gumwall look, IRC makes a decent 27" tire as well. Run 90 PSI in it as well. You should be advised though, if you have straight walled steel wheels, you need to keep the pressure down around 75-80 PSI and 90 max. 90+ and above PSI's need to be a hookwall alloy rim.

The 1 1/4 wide tire is 32 MM wide, so you have some wiggle room on the necessary pressure. That's one of the reasons I prefer the 32MM wide tire.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 02-02-07, 02:30 PM

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Continental Ultrasport (70-100 PSI inflation range), and run around 90-100 PSI. If you want Kevlar, you can either get the Ultrasport Kevlar or a kevlar tire liner. I run the Ultrasport and don't even bother with the liner. In a pinch, you can get the Bell 27X11\4 @ Walmart and run 90 PSI for an easily available, relatively inexpensive backup. If you want thew Gumwall look, IRC makes a decent 27" tire as well. Run 90 PSI in it as well. You should be advised though, if you have straight walled steel wheels, you need to keep the pressure down around 75-80 PSI and 90 max. 90+ and above PSI's need to be a hookwall alloy rim.

The 1 1/4 wide tire is 32 MM wide, so you have some wiggle room on the necessary pressure. That's one of the reasons I prefer the 32MM wide tire.
Love my Conti's!!! (Grand Prix 4000 on my ride now but...)
Old 02-03-07, 01:45 PM
eli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I had looked at some Continentals and thought they seemed like a good place to start; Continentals have a good reputation, at least on autos, as I remember.

Can I hear more about high psi and tire selection. All of this is still very new and interesting.

Cheers,
Eli
Old 02-03-07, 02:17 PM
Bike Tinker

Bikes: Frances light tourer, Rivendell Quickbeam, Bontrager Privateer with rigid fork, drops, and RTP tires, Ross Super Gran Tour fixed gear.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've run 27 1/4" Continentals on my 25" fixie for six years or so. I like them a lot. The ones I have are 28mm wide; I'd second the recommendation for 32s, though.

Steel rims are often associated with galvanized spokes, which have never held up for me. If you start breaking spokes in the rear, don't waste too much money/energy/time having them replaced. See what you LBS has in the way of a cheap wheel with stainless spokes and an aluminum rim. Then go break that one instead! :^)

Philip
Old 02-03-07, 04:27 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by philipw
I've run 27 1/4" Continentals on my 25" fixie for six years or so. I like them a lot. The ones I have are 28mm wide; I'd second the recommendation for 32s, though.

Steel rims are often associated with galvanized spokes, which have never held up for me. If you start breaking spokes in the rear, don't waste too much money/energy/time having them replaced. See what you LBS has in the way of a cheap wheel with stainless spokes and an aluminum rim. Then go break that one instead! :^)

Philip
Phillip, a 27X1 1/4 is 32 MM wide,. It's measured metric as 32-630. That's 32MM width and 630 mm bead wire circumference. If you have a 28MM width, you have a 27X1 1/8 tire.
Here are some tire-info links:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

Old 02-05-07, 10:26 AM

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eli
Thanks, I had looked at some Continentals and thought they seemed like a good place to start; Continentals have a good reputation, at least on autos, as I remember.

Can I hear more about high psi and tire selection. All of this is still very new and interesting.

Cheers,
Eli
all too often it seems the answer is, Sheldon Brown has a great article. But "Sheldon Brown has a great article."

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Old 02-06-07, 12:19 AM
Bike Tinker

Bikes: Frances light tourer, Rivendell Quickbeam, Bontrager Privateer with rigid fork, drops, and RTP tires, Ross Super Gran Tour fixed gear.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tom,

You're right, the tire says 32-630 on the side (Continental Sport 1000s), but it only measures 28mm. The "35mm" Paselas on my other bike measures 32mm. Newer Paselas are (allegedly) correctly marked; perhaps newer Continentals are as well?

Philip ("lies, damn lies, and sidewall markings")
Old 02-06-07, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by philipw
Tom,

You're right, the tire says 32-630 on the side (Continental Sport 1000s), but it only measures 28mm. The "35mm" Paselas on my other bike measures 32mm. Newer Paselas are (allegedly) correctly marked; perhaps newer Continentals are as well?

Philip ("lies, damn lies, and sidewall markings")
Under weight, the width spreads the additional 3-4 MM, as I understand it. You might also look through Sheldon's article on how tires are shrunken from their marked size to save mass.

Old 02-06-07, 09:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Under weight, the width spreads the additional 3-4 MM, as I understand it. You might also look through Sheldon's article on how tires are shrunken from their marked size to save mass.
From a marketting sense it makes perfect sense -- but that is really not cool.
Old 02-06-07, 09:33 AM
Solo Rider, always DFL

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Conti also makes the Ultra Gatorskins in a 27"x1.25" size. They have the kevlar liner to protect against punctures. I have them on my (occasional) commuter/beater, and they seem solid. Pretty happy with the 700x28s on my roadie as well.

They are a bit stiffer than some others, from what I've heard, but are pretty solid and take really high psi.

The best deal I had found was at www.biketiresdirect.com
Old 02-06-07, 03:02 PM
eli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Superslomo and friends. I do think the Conti Ultra Gatorskins are the way I'll go on this first set-up.

Eli