Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Car wrecked, rediscovered bike...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 12:31 AM
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last week, some pr1ck of a joyrider reverse rammed our car at speed three times and drove off. Fortunately we were not in the car at the time. The car is a write-off and we've no choice but to haul the bikes out to get from A-to-B. Whoa! What am I saying. 'Haul' the bikes out? Like it's a pain in the a$$?

We usually only ride at the weekends but now the bike is our only mode of transport at the moment, I'm really liking the daily rides around the streets and parks. If I ever catch the ba$tard who wrecked our car, I don't know whether to punch him on the nose or shake his hand!

Yup! I rediscovered my bike and what a joy and pleasure it is being on it everyday. Cool!
Old 05-07-03, 11:39 AM
Footballus vita est

Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Three Times!?!
Shake his hand, then hit him...lot's and hard.
You could also get the family together and draw and quarter him bike-style. It'd be like the old medieval movies with a non-equestrian twist
Old 05-07-03, 02:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by iamlucky13
Three Times!?!
Shake his hand, then hit him...lot's and hard.
You could also get the family together and draw and quarter him bike-style. It'd be like the old medieval movies with a non-equestrian twist
Hey a new resistance training exercise, hauling joyriders behind a bike, get fit and provide a public service
Old 05-07-03, 02:53 PM
eert a ekil yzarc

Bikes: many bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as your insurance company is not trying to **** ya, congrats all the way on finding the joy in riding again. Ironic part to all of this is the timing, since May is National ride your bike to work month.

As for the joyrider let us hope that life gets back at them for backing into them three times.
Old 05-07-03, 03:34 PM
Project 1 , 8000 & T100

Bikes: Trek Project 1, Trek T100, Trek 8000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey I've been there too. I totaled my car (first of many) when I was 18 and was forced to buy a bike for immediate transportation. I bought a Schwinn World bike. In retrospect I'm bummed about the choice of bikes because I now work for TREK. But that's neither here nor there.
I encurage everyone to get off their butts and ride a bike (oh wait there is a butt to seat thing involved here- well you get my point).
Ride on!!!
Old 05-08-03, 12:45 AM
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday, I had to go to the wrecking yard where the car is being held so that I could swap out the radio/cd player. I had to ride some 12 km from the station to the yard and it was mostly uphill. Not big hills, mind, but enough to sap energy and arrive at the yard soaked in sweat and a severe cramp in my foot.

The ride back was thrilling. What with big fat tires and a heavy pack on my shoulders, I did once reach 53 km/h on one downhill section - and then came sheer absolute terror. There was a traffic queue (5.30pm) and I was oh, so glad for the disc brakes. Thereon, I ambled back into town bypassing the rush hour queues, looking down on my fellow man, getting cussed by pedestrians (what were they upto walking on my sidewalk?).

Yup! I ain't had as much fun on my bike in a long, long time. Pure urban, hard cement.
Old 05-08-03, 01:14 AM
Marathon Cyclist

Bikes: Road Bike / Mountain Bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now you've just got to figure out a way to rig up the radio/cd player on your bike.

Many, many years ago, I had a couple of friends who had full size CB radios mounted on their bikes. They bought motor bike batteries to power them. How's that for adding weight to your machine?
Old 05-08-03, 01:20 AM
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds like one heck of a ride. Not sure what Oz is like in Sept/Oct, but SA used to be pleasant in spring time, nice moderate temps but some wicked, wicked storms.

Are you riding according to a daily schedule, martial points, organised event, or just doing your own thing? Either way, 4200Km is a serious distance, and I'd imagine quite lonely in places?
Old 05-08-03, 01:32 AM
Marathon Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The last thing it'll be is lonely. We'll have about 40 riders and a support crew of 10 living very close together for 32 days. (I will miss my wife and kids though.)

We have the itinerary all mapped out. The biggest day is around 196km.

You can find out more by visiting this link.

The site has information from another BikeForums member, bfb2003, who is riding with us.
Old 05-08-03, 01:50 AM
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
150km sounds like a serious distance from where I sit on my Gemini with fat tyres! I guess a road bike is the only choice but it's good to hear you've got the back up crews to support the riders.

Will you have a forum hook up to give progress on how the ride goes or do we get just one story when you finish? Reporting back to the forum is necessary and mandatory - moderators included or you will be banished.
Old 05-08-03, 01:57 AM
Marathon Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be doing everything I can to get to a computer as often as possible. A month without BikeForums is just unthinkable.

When it gets closer to the event I'll start posting stuff in the Touring forums.

150km is a serious distance day after day after day but I've crossed Australia 4 times in the past so I know what I'm in for. (Which makes me seriously question my sanity considering I'm about to do it again.)
Old 05-08-03, 08:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup the bicycle is o.k. but you got to pay the price what I mean it's nice if you know some maintenance and know how to dress for it.Look how some people fuss over there snowmobiles 12 grand plus clothing and helmets and radio equipment,why shouldn't a person pay the price and ride there bicycles?In the winter I pull on a couple of sweat pants a couple light weight jackets and that seems to work fine for winter riding.I've got a couple of dialed in bicycles that I modified and made comfort bicycles out of them
Old 11-23-03, 03:01 PM
truthisntalwayswanttohear

Bikes: Fuji Crosstown, with seat altered by hacksaw and sports tape

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, when I got hit by a car I didn't know whether to hit the guy or shake his hand, because I was "blacked out."
It turned out I never knew who it was actually. The accident was technically my fault. Accountability is a good concept to get used to in today's world, and even though I am saying this, accountability would be especially more beneficial if its development were furthered in the development of certain individuals in particular, for example those "at fault" in traffic situations.

Jacob
Old 11-24-03, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
>>>Ironic part to all of this is the timing, since May is National ride your bike to work month.<<<<

Every month for me is bike to work month. I get no break from this even making it a year long holiday for the rest of my life.

Several years ago, my car broke down for the last time. I stood there wondering how am I going to get along without it as I called a tow truck to take it away.

It ended up being the best decision in my life.