Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

winter boredom build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

winter boredom build

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-07, 12:38 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone Mile 112 (fixie); Early 70's Bottechia; 74 Schwinn Continental; Mercier Draco AL; Corratec Freeride MTB; Custom GT Azkar SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
winter boredom build

You don't see may older lugged Giant bikes around but I found this one in great shape for $30 on C/L and couldn't resist.
I stripped her down, cleaned her up, replaced the heavy cranks with some 600's and a sealed BB, swapped the steel bars with some Nittos and found a home for a set of NOS suntour Barcons. Finished it off with some yellow to white fade tape and some yellow(ish) bottle cages that go perfectly and MKS pedals. Everything from the parts bin except for cables and chain.
Nothing special, but now its a pretty nice rider and the build was a good alternative to the winter boredom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Giant Perigee.JPG (57.1 KB, 99 views)
Old 02-04-07, 02:13 PM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
$30?! What a great deal! How big's the frame? Are those 27's or 700c's?
Old 02-04-07, 02:56 PM
Yet another vegan biker

Bikes: Sakae Prism, Vintage Fuji bike(S), too many bikes, one from scratch bike.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I know the Giant made Schwinn World Sport I have is a decent frame.

I didn't expect the full cromoly tubing and nice stainless steel faced dropouts on this bottom rung Schwinn.
Old 02-04-07, 03:53 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone Mile 112 (fixie); Early 70's Bottechia; 74 Schwinn Continental; Mercier Draco AL; Corratec Freeride MTB; Custom GT Azkar SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reverborama
$30?! What a great deal! How big's the frame? Are those 27's or 700c's?
700's. It is a fairly large frame, 60-61 with a snug standover with my 34" inseam. Frame tubing is non specific chrome moly.
It was originaly outfited with Shimano "Exage Motion" and had some bar top rocker style shifters.
Old 02-04-07, 04:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greybeard87
700's. It is a fairly large frame, 60-61 with a snug standover with my 34" inseam. Frame tubing is non specific chrome moly.
It was originaly outfited with Shimano "Exage Motion" and had some bar top rocker style shifters.
Chrome-moly is chrome-moly no matter who made it! Looks like a well made bike for it's class, if you don't care what the snob's say! Don't forget Giant has made 1/2 the bike's used today even if their name isn't on it!

Last edited by TBART; 02-04-07 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-06-07, 10:37 AM

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A steel lugged bike is always a pleasure to ride. Looks like you got a good one. Giant, Trek, lemond, and others made great lugged steel bikes in the 80's. Stick some Framesaver in the frame and you will ride forever. A great thing about steel is you can upgrade to 10 speed with little or no problems.
I ride a 1988 PreTrek Greg Lemond made in Italy and a 1969 Cinelli SC and love the ride. I purchased a carbon Titanium wonder and although the ride is great I think the steel bike is better. I am going to be selling the Compact frame and going to purchase a steel Mondonico (the last Antonio is building) traditional frame style fully lugged and with Columbus Neuron tubing 4lbs. My steel bike take me where ever I go. Weight is an over rated specification for most riders. The only real advantage has been putting the bike on a cartop mount.
Don't let knuckleheads lessen your pleasure riding on the bike...Looks GREAT!!!