Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

When dad wants to give you a car...

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-07, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, my dad is going to fix up my brother's old mustang, and give it to me. I was wondering what I should do with it, either keep it, licence it but drive it sparingly, or kindly tell him I don't roll like that
I don't exactly have the room to sotre it, or the money to pay to have it stored. I know it would mean a lot to him, because it's the last car my brother owned before he passed on.
Old 02-04-07, 05:31 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Define old Mustang....

'64 1/2?
Mach 1?
Mustang II?
Fox Body?

If it's worth the money and you really don't want it, then perhaps selling it to a collector who will really appreciate it may be the best way to honor your brother, rather than let his jewel fall into disrepair. You can then donate the money to a cause close to your brother's heart.

But if you love the car, then enjoy it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 02-04-07 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-04-07, 06:53 PM
Conservative Hippie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What were your brother's interests?

Talk to your Dad. Donate the car to a charity or organization your brother liked, or sell the car and donate the money in his name.
Old 02-04-07, 11:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
Talk to your Dad. Donate the car to a charity or organization your brother liked, or sell the car and donate the money in his name.

+1

Gabriel
Old 02-05-07, 12:31 AM
Guy on a Bike

Bikes: Chromoly Univega with Nexus Hub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get rid of it. Donate, Sell, or Drive off the side of a bridge but jump out just in time and parachute to saftey.
Remember, If you are 16 or 17 or thereabouts, you're acctually going to have to deal with a world where gas cost $10/galllon, (oil production peaks in 35 years.) So you might as well get used to not owning a car now.
Old 02-05-07, 05:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
16 or 17, you are a male right?, the insurance on this thing (high horse power car, with fast look) is going to be astronomical for you.

I would definitely sit with your dad and discuss if there is something you could do with it to honor your brother. Maybe you could sell it and put the proceeds in a 429 acount for your future children's college education?
Old 02-05-07, 07:10 AM
hell's angels h/q e3st ny

Bikes: surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sell it and buy yourself a coupla nice bikes. or better, one nice bike for long distance and one beater with fenders for bad weather. try to stay uninvolved with cars. they will take your money and your health.
Old 02-05-07, 10:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gave up my car 2 years ago and I am addicted to biking.Recently,a friend of mine bought a car and gave me her old car until the lease is up.It So I thought I would drive it through Jan and Feb. I feel awful because I am not getting my fix.I have decided to return the car early.It is far too easy to use a car when you have access to one.I know that I can't have a car because I don't have the discipline to ride my bike knowing that I have a car that will get me to work in five minutes.Biking is a healthy addiction,you don't want to lose that.
Old 02-05-07, 10:37 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 0_emissions :=)
Well, my dad is going to fix up my brother's old mustang, and give it to me. I was wondering what I should do with it, either keep it, licence it but drive it sparingly, or kindly tell him I don't roll like that
I don't exactly have the room to sotre it, or the money to pay to have it stored. I know it would mean a lot to him, because it's the last car my brother owned before he passed on.
Easy, tell him how much you appreciate his gesture, but that you don't have room to store it and would consider the gift too valuable and nostalgic to actually drive - so if he would keep it there for you, feeling free to give it a workout from time-to-time, you'd really appreciate it. No feelings hurt, no principles compromised.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 02-05-07, 10:55 AM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
"I know it would mean a lot to him, because it's the last car my brother owned before he passed on."

THIS makes any choice really tough because your Dad isn't ready to let go of your brother.

Sit down with Dad to talk about this. This is also a time to get your pastor or other religious
leader involved to help Dad work though his grief. This ain't about the car at all.........

All the best ,mate. Blessings to your Dad.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 02-05-07, 11:00 AM
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tightwad
This ain't about the car at all.........
very true. be considerate and talk about this - just the two of you.
Old 02-05-07, 11:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Note: i'm 28. I don't know how the 16/17 thing got started
Anyways, i'm gonna keep it. It's an '86, and I guess it's in absolute mint condition. I'll have to keep it there though, at least for a few years. He wants to keep it in the family.
Old 02-05-07, 05:17 PM
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good decision.

My condolences to you and your family.
Old 02-05-07, 05:22 PM
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good decision.

+1
Old 02-07-07, 07:37 PM

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 0_emissions :=)
Note: i'm 28. I don't know how the 16/17 thing got started
Anyways, i'm gonna keep it. It's an '86, and I guess it's in absolute mint condition. I'll have to keep it there though, at least for a few years. He wants to keep it in the family.
Hmm.........an 86 fox body ehh? If its got the 5.0 under the hood, I say use it the way cars were meant to be used. RECREATIONALY. Sounds like a great candidate for a racecar. Closed road course against the clock. That way you dont have to worry about hurting anyone’s feelings, you get to have a little fun with pops on a sunny Sunday afternoon, and the car gets used but doesn't clog up the road when I am trying to get my spin on! I know its kinda against the whole environmental thing and all but it sure would be fun!

P.S. sorry for your bro...........
Old 02-07-07, 08:07 PM
Cigar Smokin' Cyclist

Bikes: Trek 1400, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kpug505
Hmm.........an 86 fox body ehh? If its got the 5.0 under the hood, I say use it the way cars were meant to be used. RECREATIONALY. Sounds like a great candidate for a racecar. Closed road course against the clock. That way you dont have to worry about hurting anyone’s feelings, you get to have a little fun with pops on a sunny Sunday afternoon, and the car gets used but doesn't clog up the road when I am trying to get my spin on! I know its kinda against the whole environmental thing and all but it sure would be fun!

P.S. sorry for your bro...........
The 1986 is the lightest year, a great candidate for that.
Old 02-07-07, 08:53 PM
Senior Citizen

Bikes: yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's really a cherry 5.0, just keep it stock and keep it up. It will be loved at muscle car shows, and classic car insurance is cheap and only a year or few away depending on whether your state goes with the 20 or 25 year window. I mean, do what you want, but ime mint 5.0s are rare, and not the best candidate for a racing auto when you get into the nitty gritty. No reason to muss wit' a mint soon to be classic when you can keep it as is and easily build a better race car.
Old 02-07-07, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
A 66 would be cool. An 86 is not.

Paul
Old 02-08-07, 11:17 AM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Good decision.

Yes, You've found a good way to honor your dad & brother.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 02-08-07, 02:34 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Well the usual car-loving thugs have hijacked yet another thread. Too bad you'd use a family's grief to stir up flames on a internet forum.

I don't think a machine makes a good tribute for a human being. Maybe you could plant a tree in his honor, or throw a big party in his memory.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-22-07, 08:52 AM
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Easy, tell him how much you appreciate his gesture, but that you don't have room to store it and would consider the gift too valuable and nostalgic to actually drive - so if he would keep it there for you, feeling free to give it a workout from time-to-time, you'd really appreciate it. No feelings hurt, no principles compromised.
Chip's got the idea. I owned a Mustang when I was 18....full coverage was so high I had to take a job just to pay it (400/mo sound good? That's what my insurance on it was, and it was only a 4cylinder).

I say if you want a car on the side, get something practical like a Corolla. Good fuel economy, and nowhere near sporty neough to justify a huge insurance hike.

Keep in mind young males have insane insurance rates.
Old 02-22-07, 04:05 PM
flux capacitor

Bikes: 2003 Bianchi Eros, 82 Univega (fixed), random year mtb frame for ss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Well the usual car-loving thugs have hijacked yet another thread. Too bad you'd use a family's grief to stir up flames on a internet forum.
Looks like there's only one individual here stirring up flames.

My condolences, 0.
Old 02-22-07, 04:25 PM
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by catatonic
...I say if you want a car on the side, get something practical like a Corolla. Good fuel economy, and nowhere near sporty neough to justify a huge insurance hike.

Keep in mind young males have insane insurance rates.
Really old model year + no coll or comp coverage (you only get ACV, so cost of the coverage is not worth it until you can get the stated amount and a classic car or show car endorsement) + 28 YO male shouldn't be terrible assuming you have a solid credit rating and have not owned a car without insurance. Be sure to shop though, and don't let them put you at a higer rate due to "no prior insurance." You didn't have a need for prior insurance so it shouldn't count against you...I know there are at least a few companies out there that won't ding you for it.

Hmm...that only applies if you are in the US...I have no idea what insurance markets look like in Canada.