Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cancer might be back

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cancer might be back

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-07, 05:31 AM
Old fart

Bikes: 02 Specialized Allez, Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cancer might be back

A recent checkup indicated that the cancer might be back. I'm scheduled for the invasive test tour. Deja vu.
I'm planning on the SF-LA ride early June. My question is, has anyone done any long rides while on chemo? If so do you have any helpful tips?

Thanks
Old 02-05-07, 02:40 PM
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What cancer? What chemo? You really need to talk to your oncologist for this.
Old 02-05-07, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
You have my sincere condolences. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 02-06-07, 09:10 PM
Old fart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had Kidney cancer 3 years ago and get checked yearly. I lost the right kidney back then. This year tests indicate that it might be back. More tests are scheduled. This time I don't have a kidney to lose so the treatment will most likely involve chemo. So I'm planning for a worst case scenario.
I still intend on completing the ride from SF to LA. I was hoping to find someone thats faced a similar situation and could offer some insights. I'm not looking for medical advise.

Thanks
Old 02-07-07, 07:39 AM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hope everything works out for you and wish you the best of luck
Old 02-07-07, 08:52 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Whilst undergoing any form of treatment- it is down to how you feel and what you are able to do.

That magic "C" word hits people in different ways- With me it was that I knew what was wrong so where's the treatment? It was while waiting for the treatment that I was hit mentally. I could not ride with mates- Yet I could not ride on my own. Once I knew that treatment was underway- I started riding as normal just to celebrate.

Chemo hits people in different ways. Some it hardly affects and others are laid out with it.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-07-07, 03:34 PM
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Chemotherapy consists of many different drugs but basically they do the same thing. They target fast growing cells. Some are more specific to a particular cell type or a particular protein on a particular cell. These are too specific to discuss here.

But for those that kill rapidly growing cells, they are rather indiscriminate. They kill your bone marrow, gastro-intestinal cells, hair, skin, mucosal linings, etc.... This is what results in a person losing their hair, having nausea and vomiting, infections, and feeling tired.

Often these things are dose limiting. Meaning, the side effects are so severe the doctor has to reduce the chemo dose. This reduces the chance of killing the cancer cells. There are things that can be done to ameliorate the side effects.

Neupogen stimulates white blood cell production which fight off infection
Procrit or Epo, as it is commonly called, stimulates reticulocytes which are the precursors to red blood cells which carry oxygen
Compazine an antiemetic for nausea
And many others that a good oncology can discuss with you. I would ask about mucosal lining protectants/regenerants.
I would also be very careful in the sun. Your skin will be very sensitive to sunlight.

My mother died from ovarian cancer. Her chief "complaints" of the chemo would have been the exhaustion and the infections. They hadn't invented Procrit yet. She did take Neupogen later on which made a huge difference. Before then, she had colds constantly.
Old 02-08-07, 08:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no advice to offer, however, I wish you the best.
Old 02-11-07, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bbwolfy
I have no advice to offer, however, I wish you the best.
+1. My wife's best friend has a medical records degree and has worked in cancer research and is currently working for a cancer treatment center where she counsels patients on all aspects of their cancer and treatment. I will consult with her and get her opinion for you.
Old 02-11-07, 09:33 AM
Spazzy Member

Bikes: '05 marinoni delta, '86/87 bianchi sport s(e)x, ? kona ?, raleigh '71, specialized crossroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's intense. whereas i don't have any personal experience to draw on, i imagine that anything and everything you can do to boost your immune system (body, mind and spirit) would help. having a positive goal to work towards is probably one of the best things you can do for yourself!
Old 02-11-07, 09:39 AM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good luck
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 02-11-07, 07:32 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not sure if this helps you or not, but Lance Armstrong still trained while on his treatments. You can E-Mail this question to his foundation and I'm sure you would get a response.

https://www.livestrong.org/site/c.jvK....CC7C/Home.htm
Old 02-12-07, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dekindy
+1. My wife's best friend has a medical records degree and has worked in cancer research and is currently working for a cancer treatment center where she counsels patients on all aspects of their cancer and treatment. I will consult with her and get her opinion for you.
You can usually do activities that you physically feel like doing and that your treatment regimen will allow time for. Other variables could be possible reduction of your white cell and platelet counts that could make it dangerous for you to be active.
Old 02-21-07, 03:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redden
A recent checkup indicated that the cancer might be back. I'm scheduled for the invasive test tour. Deja vu.
I'm planning on the SF-LA ride early June. My question is, has anyone done any long rides while on chemo? If so do you have any helpful tips?

Thanks
no need to worry, it will go away, and you'll make the ride and have a great time doing so, i 'll pray for you, in JESUS mighty name all will be well.
Old 02-21-07, 03:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redden

Thanks
no need to worry, it will go away, and you'll make the ride and have a great time doing so, i 'll pray for you, in JESUS mighty name all will be well.dust off that bible and read psalm 23, and 95.by his stripes we are healed.
Old 03-05-07, 02:13 PM
Old fart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words and useful advise. So far the Lungs, bladder and prostate are clear.
Old 03-05-07, 02:51 PM
Absolute Beast!

Bikes: Spiuk Synergis S-22, APOLLO SLALOM lol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im so sorry to hear this, dont let anything get you down, best of luck
Old 03-05-07, 02:59 PM