Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New kind of "Amish" bike ??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-07, 07:25 PM
Banned

Bikes: Trek 4900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here in Sarasota there is large Amish and Mennonite populations. They love the Florida winters also I suppose. Saw an Amish woman riding a bike that was half scooter/ half bike. Had front and rear tires like a bike and handlebars, but no seat. It had a platform about 3 or 4 inches off the ground and she made the bike go by using the motion as a small kid on a scooter does. No chain or pedals. The "bike" actually was keeping up with 2 other real bikes as they were riding down the sidewalk. Do not know if it was homemade or not. Looked interesting though. Any Ideas or comments?
Old 02-05-07, 07:41 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I've seen something similar. The owner called it a "kick bike." I tried it and it was kind of neat, but it didn't do hills worth a darn. Supposedly, it went for around $500.00 American, and included handlebar mounted brake levers.
Old 02-05-07, 08:12 PM

Bikes: Van Dessel CRB, Giant ATX 880,Footbike track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.kickbikeamerica.com/ i have had one for going on 8 years, i don't have any trouble going up the hill's,ofcourse i don't get to sit down or use gears to make it easer! i guess it's just getting used to it,or not.
Old 02-05-07, 08:59 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
no thats not an Amish bike, mostly they ride hybrids in very large frame sizes think 3 or 4 times larger then they need. Then you raise the handlebars up as high as you can get them. And there is no rear rack with a milk crate strapped to it.

Reporting this from Wayne and Holmes counties in Ohio
Old 02-05-07, 09:04 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
A fellow did last October's Hilly Hundred (Southern Indiana) on one. He has won some major races in Europe, according to a newspaper story about him. He was slow up the hills but, on the last major downhill of the Hilly, my wife and I were getting up to a pretty good speed on our tandem when he came from out of nowhere and passed us going REALLY FAST!
Old 02-06-07, 12:21 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, most insane thing I've seen all day. Can't imagine going up hills on that. I would rather have pedals.
Old 02-06-07, 01:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems like a pointless gimmick.
Old 02-06-07, 09:39 AM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
The original Ingo bike, 1935

Notice the eccentric rear hub. You got the bike rolling then "pumped" the platform to turn the rear wheel.
Old 02-06-07, 09:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is just to get folks to stop teasing people with electric bikes, right?
Old 02-06-07, 10:32 AM
Long haired freak.

Bikes: 2011 SE Old Man Flyer.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle

[IMG]https://www.ohtm.org/collections/bicycles/images/cyc_ingo.jpg[IMG]

Notice the eccentric rear hub. You got the bike rolling then "pumped" the platform to turn the rear wheel.
Our metalwork class has one of those up on the wall.

You can get going pretty fast, but it's alot of work.

"the bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."

Old 02-06-07, 10:43 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those Amish get all the new gadgets.
Old 02-06-07, 11:39 AM
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Milice
no thats not an Amish bike, mostly they ride hybrids in very large frame sizes think 3 or 4 times larger then they need. Then you raise the handlebars up as high as you can get them. And there is no rear rack with a milk crate strapped to it.

The Amish around here (central PA) are not allowed to ride bikes. When they ride anything it is a scooter like the one described in the OP. Most of the scooters around here were not mass produced – perhaps made by a local craftsman.
Old 02-06-07, 01:35 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think you are correct with this. It was a very large frame and the front and rear wheels were the same size. I could not believe the speed she had on it AND was keeping up with the other two at a speed I would say 12-15mph.
Old 02-06-07, 01:43 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeR
The Amish around here (central PA) are not allowed to ride bikes. When they ride anything it is a scooter like the one described in the OP. Most of the scooters around here were not mass produced – perhaps made by a local craftsman.

The Amish here are less restrictive than the northern counterparts. They are living within the city limits of Sarasota on small lots with smallish, very neat homes. There is a bus stop close to this area that is packed with bikes chained to themselves all day while the owners all go to their "city" jobs I imagine. I did have a cottage near Coldwater, MI and the Amish there were much more restrictive. But a lot of the "men folk" have jobs in factories such as the camper and trailer factories which are so prevelant in Ohio/MI/Indiana crossroads.
Old 02-06-07, 02:45 PM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeR
The Amish around here (central PA) are not allowed to ride bikes. When they ride anything it is a scooter like the one described in the OP.
This is just so strange. I wonder who draws a line at how much technology is too much and what criteria they are using. In principal it's all human-powered and a bicycle should be fine... just because it's a smarter way to move around it doesn't mean it's evil... Of course lots of religious folks do equate reasonable and sensible with evil... Oh well, never mind, never mind.

But Amish communities really do differ a lot. The Amish I saw in Ontario countryside were using gasoline-powered lawnmowers. For crissake!...
Old 02-06-07, 03:42 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wfin2004
The Amish here are less restrictive than the northern counterparts.
Are you sure they are Amish and not some flavor of Mennonite.

The old order Mennonites are hard to distinguish from the Amish, and they come in flavors from nearly Amish to other groups that drive cars... In Lancaster county for example I saw people that I was told were a Mennonite group that retains the Amish look in dress, but they drive cars, but they must be black, and have no chrome.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-06-07, 05:33 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
Are you sure they are Amish and not some flavor of Mennonite.

The old order Mennonites are hard to distinguish from the Amish, and they come in flavors from nearly Amish to other groups that drive cars... In Lancaster county for example I saw people that I was told were a Mennonite group that retains the Amish look in dress, but they drive cars, but they must be black, and have no chrome.

Could be. Funny about the "black cars w/ no chrome". I mean technology is technology, right? Chrome doesn't make it a new fangled contraption. None of these drive but I have seen one or two of the older men who have small gas powered motors on the front wheel of their three wheelers.
Old 02-06-07, 05:35 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
This is just so strange. I wonder who draws a line at how much technology is too much and what criteria they are using. In principal it's all human-powered and a bicycle should be fine... just because it's a smarter way to move around it doesn't mean it's evil... Of course lots of religious folks do equate reasonable and sensible with evil... Oh well, never mind, never mind.

But Amish communities really do differ a lot. The Amish I saw in Ontario countryside were using gasoline-powered lawnmowers. For crissake!...

I hear where your coming from. I don't get the who draws the line at what gig, any more than you.
Old 02-06-07, 06:00 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The sect or order sets the rules. There are old amish and new amish, Also the kids can own cars and such before they join the church. Something gas powered is ok as long as you dont own it. You can give someone money to buy something ie a lawn mower or a tractor but you can use it.
Old 02-06-07, 06:13 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The sect or order sets the rules. There are old amish and new amish, Also the kids can own cars and such before they join the church. Something gas powered is ok as long as you dont own it. You can give someone money to buy something ie a lawn mower or a tractor but you can use it.

Thanks for the info. I do remember a program about and older Amish man that "ran" some kind of busisness. But for this busisness to be successful, which it was, He needed to incorporate many "luxuries" into it. Phones being the big one that I can remember.
Old 02-06-07, 07:11 PM
Happy old man

Bikes: Trek 4500 mountain bike, Trek 7500fx disk, and Trek 2200 Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unkchunk
This is just to get folks to stop teasing people with electric bikes, right?
NO

In New England we have nine months of winter and three months of damned poor sledding.
Old 02-06-07, 09:41 PM
Footballus vita est

Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bbattle

Now that's a real interesting idea. I would think it would be a little awkward to ride, but it's cool to see different approaches. The basic idea is like playground swing.

There's a sort of technique in mountain biking called pumping. You time the movements of you body to match the crests and troughs of the terrain to gain speed without pedaling.
Old 02-07-07, 04:07 AM
Very Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chephy
This is just so strange. I wonder who draws a line at how much technology is too much and what criteria they are using.
Years ago I asked an Amish friend of mine how that works. He told me that each area is a “diocese”, and they have a Bishop who is in charge of one or more diocese. The bishop makes the final decision, based on what he thinks is best for the people. He told me that the general goal is to be able to survive within the larger society without becoming part of it.
Old 02-07-07, 04:09 AM
Very Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Recently I have seen many Amish near here with cell phones. I don't know them so I didn't ask, but it does look odd.
Old 02-07-07, 09:21 AM
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Around these parts the Amish aren't allowed to ride. They must be of a tougher fundamental group.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.