Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Report: Big cities key to Canada's future; need to promote a shift away from cars

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Report: Big cities key to Canada's future; need to promote a shift away from cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 12:23 PM
Dubito ergo sum.

Bikes: Bessie.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gee, most of us here on Living Car-Free could have told them this!

Cities need affordable housing, transit and infrastructure
Use "carrot and stick" approach to promote a shift from cars to public transit
CBC News
Old 02-07-07, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
It's a good article.

We're starting to see that in some areas as cities in the US are experiencing a "Rebirth" because the burbs have run out of room. In the New York Metro, there are massive developments being constructed all over but it's getting real pricy. But you can't move out to the burbs because prices of new or old homes are out of this world!
Old 02-08-07, 11:47 AM
Dubito ergo sum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
We're starting to see that in some areas as cities in the US are experiencing a "Rebirth" because the burbs have run out of room. In the New York Metro, there are massive developments being constructed all over but it's getting real pricy. But you can't move out to the burbs because prices of new or old homes are out of this world!
The Ottawa urban core has been in a slow rebirth for decades, but that rebirth has been hampered by outdated zoning and poorly-designed public transit (our system was designed when traffic flowed very differently). The big issue with this article is the talk of funding - not sure where that is expected to come from, but it certainly won't come from the Conservatives currently at the federal helm!
Old 02-08-07, 01:03 PM
The City Cyclist

Bikes: Can't remember the name...I painted over it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
patc, have you biked in Montreal? From what I've seen and heard, they have a great setup with bike pathways that are separate from cars. Would love to go one day, so I'm just curious.

Last edited by ryanz4; 02-08-07 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-08-07, 11:43 PM
Dubito ergo sum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanz4
patc, have you biked in Montreal? From what I've seen and heard, they have a great setup with bike pathways that are separate from cars. Would love to go one day, so I'm just curious.
No, I haven't. My Montreal experience is limited to downtown, where being a pedestrian is reminiscent of the old game Frogger. I'd rather leave the bike at home, thanks.

I'm honestly not a big believer in completely separate bike pathways. I usually take the shortest route from point A to B, particularly at this time of year. Google turned up a map of Montreal's bike trails. . Seems to follow the waterways, and looks completely useless for daily commuting, shopping, etc.

I haven't found a maop shopwing bike lanes, side-paths, etc.