Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage SuperCycle folding bike

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-09-03, 06:55 PM

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just bought a used folding bike for my wife. After I spent a day cleaning it up, I'm now wondering who actually made it.

It has chrome fenders and chain guard, a genuine Sturmey Archer 3-speed gearbox and changer.
The hinge is right at the bottom and it comes with a rear carrier. It appears to have its' original white wall tires marked 'Made in Poland'.

"SuperCycle" is a marque used by Canadian Tire Corporation. I am certain it was not manufactured by them.

Anybody got any ideas?
Old 07-17-05, 01:12 PM

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Stokell! Not sure if you even still have this bike as you posted quite some time ago.

I just picked up a bike with a similar description. Supercycle, as I'm sure you know, has been a Canadian Tire brand of bicycle for many years. I believe they've always farmed out their manufacturing so it's not surprising to see a Made in Poland label on one of their bikes. These days, it's like "Made in Taiwan."

I don't know if this bike is actually fitted with a Sturmey-Archer hub. It DOES have an internally geared rear hub with 3 ratios but I see no markings on it to indicate the brand of hub or shifter. I'm going to do some more research on this to see just how many internally-geared hubs existed from that era.

If you have some photos, I'd love to see them! I'll post a few once I get this bike cleaned up.

Cheers!
Chris
Old 07-17-05, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Supercycle has been made by various manufacturers over the years. However, I believe that the folding models were made by Raleigh. Check the serial number.
Old 07-20-05, 07:12 PM

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got some photos of the junker I found.

Have a look here: https://ca.geocities.com/af895/bikes/
(once the bandwidth calms down...@#&@^# Geocities... )
Old 07-20-05, 07:52 PM
Planet Saver

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10, Novara Randonee, Raleigh Super Grand Prix, Schwinn Mirada Sport winter beater

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a Cinzia folder that is similar in a couple of ways. The locking mechanism where it folds looks to be very close, as does the handlebars. Also, the overall quality of them....I think they were novelty bikes..and not terribly convenient as folders. The differences are mine has a down tube stick shifter, a light powered by a front wheel generator, and a built in rack. I think yours and mine are cousins...variations of the same basic design.

Here's how I have it described on www.oldroads.com I picked up this Cinzia folding bike from a neighbor for $25. It's in pretty good shape, a bit rusty in spots from sitting for the past 30 years. It has 3 speeds, with the shifter on the downtube, quick releases for both the seat and handlebars, a generator on the front wheel for a headlight and taillight, a rear rack that is part of the frame. All the parts seem to be Italian, including the original Pirelli tires which are in good shape. Given the shape the tires are in and in talking to the owner, this bike hasn't been ridden much. My guess is that it was built in the 1960's. I'm planning on cleaning it up a bit and getting it in rideable shape, don't have the time or ability to do a total restoration. Not that I needed another bike, but it seemed to unique and cool to pass up.