Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Talus for a roadie?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-07, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Throw me a vine!

First, please point me in the direction of definitions of XC, all-mountain, etc.

Second, what do you think of Raleigh's Talus Team Hardtail w/XT (except Avid BB7 discs and Deore hubs) and Rock Shox Recon fork for $900. I wasn't in the market for a mtn bike, but it caught my fancy (my current mountain steed is a '87-'88 Trek 8000). Before I impulsively buy this former demo bike (maybe a trail demo and not just an "around the block" demo), please shoot me some expert feedback:

(1) with a bit of online research, the price doesn't look good at all now, since it seems that the bike was selling for ~$1000 new in '05 (maybe the "Team" version was nicer than the other Talus models?) and the XT group can be had for ~$500

(2) Raleigh makes a nice bike, but few are of the Talus lineage, which makes me wonder quite a bit

(3) is this model a heavy bike hardtail?

It's important to note that I'm a weight weenie roadie that occasionally hits the trails. Nothing sketchy, just dirt trails w/small loose rocks. It's this or completely pass until the next "deal" catches my eye. Would you do it in my shoes?!