Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mario Confente Bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mario Confente Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 05:56 PM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Avocet saddle & foam bar covering!

I had the exact same thing on my Super Record equipped Bianchi!

Old 02-18-07, 06:58 PM
Sensuous Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Someone please get that man some Benotto celo bar tape and a Concor saddle!
Old 02-18-07, 07:05 PM
Iguana Subsystem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
frubin, that's a fantastic bike! many thanks for the pictures and the story behind them!
Old 02-18-07, 09:25 PM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
Sure looks like the real deal to my less-than-expert eye! You truely have one of the "holy grails" of the bicycle world, and in fantastic condition to boot. Take some more detail pics (like of the underside of the bottom bracket, the backside of the lugs, ALL of the decals) and post everything to the wooljersey gallery site (https://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/main.php), there will be much interest in this bike for years to come and it should be catalogued...for the good of humanity.
Old 02-18-07, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
""Someone please get that man some Benotto celo bar tape and a Concor saddle!""

I agree... but personally, I'd probably trick it out with all spade-panto Super Record stuff, white-peforated Selle Regal, white Concor or the sickest thing...a white leather Brooks Swallow.

White leather bar wrap & white tires! I have a period-correct, late-70's NOS 3ttt Record adjustable stem that wouldn't hurt on that thing.

And then of course a kickstand and stem shifters.
Old 02-18-07, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
The seatpost looks very much like a sugino, but I could be wrong, no clamp details being visable.
Old 02-18-07, 10:59 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
""The seatpost looks very much like a sugino, but I could be wrong, no clamp details being visable."

Yeah...not sure that's an SR. I think the very top should be dark and rough alu, no? It doesn't look like a 2-bolt either which I think it should be for that era.

Fred... we need to talk. I think I'm going need your bike for a while
Old 02-18-07, 11:56 PM
blah

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
The super record seatposts had flutes and a sandblasted rough textured clamp. single bolt on a wedge, not double. looks right to me.

Old 02-19-07, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I haven't seen a super record with flutes that long and thin... I am guessing they had to go with a non-campy post in order to get enough extension. Looks alot like sugino SP-H.
Old 02-19-07, 12:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seatpost is Campy SR
Old 02-19-07, 01:41 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
how the hell can that bike be so minty? If it were mine, I'd sell it and buy a Ducati.
Old 02-19-07, 03:00 AM
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moki
how the hell can that bike be so minty? If it were mine, I'd sell it and buy a Ducati.
That would be a poor trade!

Look at the seatstay detail on that thing. That bike is unique. Approach it like a rare find on Antiques Roadshow: appraise it, insure it, and then ride the hell out of it, wipe it down, and put it back up.

Simple, really.(Rad/55 logic)

無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持
Old 02-19-07, 05:51 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"That would be a poor trade!"

-eh ,I dunno...a '72 Ducati Super Sport is a lot faster. A '59 Vincent or a Norton Manx might entice me as well....but you'd need about 5 Confentes to even get thier attention.
Old 02-19-07, 07:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a bunch of doubters...
Old 02-19-07, 08:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the picture of the bottom bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00048.JPG (63.2 KB, 147 views)
Old 02-19-07, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Frubin- Thanks for getting some images. The seatpost is a early Super Record, Campagnolo shifted to shorter flutes fairly soon after introduction, hard to date as distributor inventories were not stocked by model year.

Also of note:

Second generation SR rear der. and four hole front with the simple band and all silver 1977-78 intro.

No Pro-Strada transfers on the chainstays.

This bike has the seat stay cap transfers, these are a surprise to see on a later frame.

painted fork crown as anticipated, but a Fischer, 019 has the later crown, I would have expected one here too.

While not clearly seen, look at the milling of the rear dropout faces, and note the cable passing Through the chain stay.

by the tilt of the saddle it is not comfortable, as was the thin bar wrap, owners choice here.

Is the red painting of the fluted seat post original? If so, i would expect it had red bar wrap to start.

the front chainring inner is not the typical 42 tooth ring.

surprised to see what look like clinchers, high flange hubs and Rigida rims, most often was small flange and Martano or Fir rims with tubulars from other bikes seen.

These bikes are full of nice minor lug details, holes on the seat lug points, and even under the other lugs. the chainstay and seat stay bridges are also double tapered with the thickest region at center. These were a buyout, but decisions were made.
Old 02-19-07, 09:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The red flute painting is something I did. I was going to do red, white , blue, but there are only eight flutes instead of nine.
Old 02-19-07, 09:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the inner chainring is a 46 tooth.
Old 02-19-07, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by frubin
The red flute painting is something I did. I was going to do red, white , blue, but there are only eight flutes instead of nine.
Actually you can do it, forward two red, side two white, two on each side, back two blue, as the forward two are blank on center.

A VERY nice bike, don't bother with the Super Record BB, for you or someone of this bike's size, way too much flex.
Old 02-19-07, 01:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What did you mean by "don't bother with the Super Record BB, for you or someone of this bike's size, way too much flex"? Thanks.
Old 02-19-07, 01:42 PM
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Titanium spindle.
Old 02-19-07, 02:46 PM

The Campagnolo ti BB spindles were notoriously flexy, the first generation that requires bolts especially. the second generation unit which was solid, and used nuts as the axle was threaded was better but not significantly more solid. With long legs, and probably longer than 170mm cranks, I would think lots of leverage. I would be a bit concerned about chainrub on the cage as I stomped on the big ring up a small grade say.

Way back there was a small tarnish in Campagnolo's reputation where L. Fignon, broke his ti crank axle in a race. Also, Campagnolo suggested limiting rider weight to the equal of 175lbs. when using the Super Record pedals with the ti axles. I think if they had changed the design a bit it would not have been such an issue, but for a given equal diameter, a ti rod will flex more than a steel one.

Titanium is used quite a bit today, but there have been design modifications to mitigate the adverse mechanical properties.
Old 02-19-07, 03:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the information.
Old 02-19-07, 04:45 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fred.... didn't you tell me that you got the frame from Mario and then went to your local bike shop and purchased the components? If not, then what parts were on the frame/bike and what did you buy later?

As Repechage pointed out some things don't look stock: Avocet saddle, Pedal toe clips, wheelset, bar tape, minus Pro-Strada decals, etc.

General Q about SR seatposts: I've seen 2-bolt SR milled posts and I would guess them from about '75-'78 or so...so what year was the first single bolt SR/NR post?
Old 02-19-07, 06:16 PM

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
WOW! Really gorgeous!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.