Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

One great night! Built up my Guerciotti (pics)

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-07, 11:54 PM

Bikes: 80's Roberts road bike, Nashiki, ECR, Guerciotti and Penny Farthing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts

The parts to finish my bike came in today and I got a chance to build this bike. A friend of mine trued up the wheels and picked out a chain to run. Sure seems like a quiet drive train. Anyway, I thought I would post some pictures. I am looking for a campy headset and another saddle similar to that one I borrowed from my other bike. The frame was bought on ebay from a forum member and the wheels and crank from another forum member that contacted me. I think I got pretty lucky and hope the weather breaks here in Pittsburgh so I can ride it. Here are some photos. Yes, I know the rear tire is whipped. I have one for replacement ready after I skid like a few miles.

Old 02-18-07, 12:57 AM
Car magnet

Bikes: 80's Hoffy track frame 49x15, 80's guerciotti track 47x15(destroyd by a car), '78 ross conversion(RIP, died of old age), '06 fuji track(RIP, hit by a trolley), '75 Alan Aluminum(in the works)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what size frame is that, looks to be about the same as mine.

If i ever come to pittsburgh or you to savannah, we should ride together.

nice build, it looks fresh.
Old 02-18-07, 01:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noice!
Old 02-18-07, 02:00 AM

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How long of a reach does one need to have in order to sit in the middle of that saddle on the blue Guerciotti and place their hands near the end of the horns? The missile-launch position of the saddle seems like it would make that position challenging.
Old 02-18-07, 02:26 AM
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the Guerciottis! Definitely one of the most slept on Italian marques...right up there with the Colnagos and Tommasinis in quality, but often overlooked. Beautiful details right down to the bottom bracket shell with it's star cutout.

Yum. Really lovely it is.

無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持
Old 02-18-07, 02:29 AM
Utilitarian Boy

Bikes: Check the sig to find out

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by metallo pesante
what size frame is that, looks to be about the same as mine.

If i ever come to pittsburgh or you to savannah, we should ride together.

nice build, it looks fresh.
how are those bars?
Old 02-18-07, 02:47 AM

Bikes: Makino (have the parts; not yet built), EAI Barekuckle, Unknown Japanese fixed conversion, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman road bike (frame), Secret project bike, 2007 Trek Madone 5.2, Cannondale Caad3 mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are you, 6'10"? That thing is huge.
Old 02-18-07, 05:01 AM
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That frame is so big that it makes look like your riding on 20" bmx wheels.
Old 02-18-07, 07:33 AM

The red one... mine is a 60 center to center. It isn't that big. I am 6'2" The blue one looks to be a 62 as a guess.

Thanks for the comments. It is snowing again here. I will never get to ride it I guess. Just sit here and look at it and ride my POS mountain bike that needs to be junked.
Old 02-18-07, 08:50 AM
RIP Shiznaz.

Bikes: 1983 Bianchi Eco Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW!

Beautiful bike. What hoops are you using? Everything about your bike is so damn sweet!

And metallo pesante: Are you going to be at the Atlanta race coming up? I have to see your bike in person... it is just too damn awesome. One of my favorites ever.
Old 02-18-07, 09:00 AM

Bikes: Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by h_curtis
The red one... mine is a 60 center to center. It isn't that big. I am 6'2" The blue one looks to be a 62 as a guess.

Thanks for the comments. It is snowing again here. I will never get to ride it I guess. Just sit here and look at it and ride my POS mountain bike that needs to be junked.
Wow, I am 6'2" and ride/prefer something like little smaller. What is the TT out of curosity? My current whip is a 57 and find it to be just right. Just ordered the 56cm IRO. How do you like riding somthing that big? My roadie was 59cm and I found that even to be a little on the large size. Maybe it is just me.
Old 02-18-07, 09:00 AM
Dismount Run Remount etc.

Bikes: A couple customs and some beaters.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wrap your bars, dude! Unless you wear gloves while riding, you'll probably be in for a bit of a surprise when your hands slip and you fly somewhere you don't want to go. Don't believe Randy when he says you don't need bar tape/grips!
Old 02-18-07, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by 1fluffhead
Wow, I am 6'2" and ride/prefer something like little smaller. What is the TT out of curosity? My current whip is a 57 and find it to be just right. Just ordered the 56cm IRO. How do you like riding somthing that big? My roadie was 59cm and I found that even to be a little on the large size. Maybe it is just me.
My road bike is a 57, but it is stretched out as far as I can make it. It really is too small for me. This all depends on your build. I have not ridden this bike yet as it is snowing like crazy here and Randy and I just built it up. If I feel it is too big, then I will build something else. I was looking for a 59. The top tube is 59.
Old 02-18-07, 09:43 AM
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What is that headset?
Old 02-18-07, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by 12XU
Wrap your bars, dude! Unless you wear gloves while riding, you'll probably be in for a bit of a surprise when your hands slip and you fly somewhere you don't want to go. Don't believe Randy when he says you don't need bar tape/grips!
My gut says wrap the bars, but I tend not to ride in the drops much, so I would have to wrap the whole way up. Haven't decided on that yet, until I ride. I do wear gloves most of the time, so it may not be a big deal. Randy is one good dude for helping me set this bike up with the wheels and all. We are going to take a ride once the weather brakes and he is going to give me some pointers on stopping. Going to be an adventure that I am looking forward to. Until then I am riding on my POS mountain bike that is falling apart. I will be giving it away when I find another beater. Maybe a fixed, if I get into this style of riding. I like the idea of it.

Not sure how you knew Randy was helping me with this bike? Guess I will meet you at some point on the road. Just give me plenty of room to stop if you see me coming.
Old 02-18-07, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Landgolier

What is that headset?
Shimano 600. It will be for sale when I get a Campy one. Looking for a headset like this, if anyone wants to part with one.

Old 02-18-07, 10:00 AM
shoot up or shut up.

Bikes: yes please.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wrap your bars. that bike is sweet though. what tubing is it? SL?
Old 02-18-07, 10:04 AM
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimano 600. It will be for sale when I get a Campy one. Looking for a headset like this, if anyone wants to part with one.

Shoot me a PM when the time comes, I have a headset that's on its way out and I like the looks of that rig.
Old 02-18-07, 11:03 AM
Cornucopia of Awesomeness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shimano 600 EX to be precise
Old 02-18-07, 12:23 PM

Bikes: schwinn suburban conversion with chopped risers LOLZ!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, looks great. I like seeing big track bikies. Is that the one that was on ebay not too long ago?

If the bike is currently set up the way you would ride it (with the bar and seatpost at the same heights) then don't listen to anybody about it being too big. I looks like the perfect size. People generally ride bikes that are too small anyway.
Old 02-18-07, 12:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My gut says wrap the bars, but I tend not to ride in the drops much, so I would have to wrap the whole way up. Haven't decided on that yet, until I ride. I do wear gloves most of the time, so it may not be a big deal. Randy is one good dude for helping me set this bike up with the wheels and all. We are going to take a ride once the weather brakes and he is going to give me some pointers on stopping. Going to be an adventure that I am looking forward to. Until then I am riding on my POS mountain bike that is falling apart. I will be giving it away when I find another beater. Maybe a fixed, if I get into this style of riding. I like the idea of it.

Not sure how you knew Randy was helping me with this bike? Guess I will meet you at some point on the road. Just give me plenty of room to stop if you see me coming.
I had no idea Randy was helping you build it, but he's one of the most generous mechanics I've run into in PGH so it doesn't surprise me. I know he's adamant about his bare bars (and wayyy narrow risers at that), so I didn't know if he had influenced you yet . I'll probably swing through town during my spring break, so I'd be willing to roll with ya when the time comes.
Old 02-18-07, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by endo shi
Wow, looks great. I like seeing big track bikies. Is that the one that was on ebay not too long ago?

If the bike is currently set up the way you would ride it (with the bar and seatpost at the same heights) then don't listen to anybody about it being too big. I looks like the perfect size. People generally ride bikes that are too small anyway.
The bike really isn't dialed in for me yet. I just put the seat and bars on and will work on where I like things. The bars will be below the seat probably around 4-6". Seems the older I get the more stretched out I like a bike. On my road bike the seat was about as high and back as you can get it and the bars were up and out as well. It is a 57cm c2c. I am hoping a 60 will be less of a stretch. Guess we will see.

Yes it is the one that was on ebay a while back.
Old 02-18-07, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by 12XU
I had no idea Randy was helping you build it, but he's one of the most generous mechanics I've run into in PGH so it doesn't surprise me. I know he's adamant about his bare bars (and wayyy narrow risers at that), so I didn't know if he had influenced you yet . I'll probably swing through town during my spring break, so I'd be willing to roll with ya when the time comes.
Yeah Randy is one super guy and of course knows a ton about bikes. His bikes are crazy, but he is a very good on them. I was lucky to meet up with him.

I can't wait until I ride this thing, but it is too crazy outside to ride right now. I guess I waited this long for a fixed bike, I will just wait a little longer to ride it.
Old 02-18-07, 01:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah Randy is one super guy and of course knows a ton about bikes. His bikes are crazy, but he is a very good on them. I was lucky to meet up with him.

I can't wait until I ride this thing, but it is too crazy outside to ride right now. I guess I waited this long for a fixed bike, I will just wait a little longer to ride it.
So I take it you've seen his Rensho? **** is bananas! If he cared about the Internet, that thing would be posted and re-posted ad nauseam.
Old 02-18-07, 01:27 PM
Triathlon = Eat/Bike/Nap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is Randy the mechanic at the new Trek store in Shadyside?

In a roundabout way (he had a friend sell them on eBay and it turns out his friend lives about 500 feet from me) I just bought some blue Deep V rims from him and was given his number in case I needed some wheel building done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.