Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

strength maintenance

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

strength maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
strength maintenance

So its starting to get sunny outside and im getting bored of doing weights and want to concentrate more on my biking/swimming/running for the upcomming triathlon season. Ive cut down to working out 2 days a week now and im wondering if i can maintain muscle strength/definition(yes, im vain ) for the rest of the summer just cutting down to 1 day a week. I just want to maintain my size and strength. Is this possible?
Old 02-19-07, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strength and size will decrease, cardio burns muscle rather well. However with the burning of fat as well your definition will likely increase.

To give you an example. In bodybuilding they go through a bulking period where muscle and some fat is both gained. Then a bodybuilder will enter a cut where decreasing fat is the main goal. Now a small amount of muscle will also be lost, but in a cut the man will look larger because he becomes more defined, even though he has less muscle mass.
Old 02-20-07, 11:59 AM
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can maintain your strength on two days a week no problem, but do not expect any gains whatsoever. Also both sessions would need to be full body sessions, and not split.

However, your size will decrease. The excessive endurance cardio will not allow another option.
Old 02-24-07, 03:32 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I gain on two 20 minute, full-body sessions a week, and hold about even on one. Don't know when your first tri will be. I'd say do two short sessions until 3 months before, one session until two months before, then nada.
Old 02-25-07, 11:56 AM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Every one is a little different, but it's easy to find out what works for you. Cut back to one per week for a couple months. Keep a record of the weight you lift with each muscle group. If the weight you're able to lift goes down, you're getting weaker. If the weight lifted stays the same, you're maintaining your strength.

As for looks, let the mirror and the glances you get from others be the judge.

"Think Outside the Cage"