Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Long distance on a MTB?

Old 02-21-07, 09:51 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hambone
I know I did it too but just to be clear on a vocabulary thing:

slicks are smooth, like dragster tires.

There are tires for MTB rims which are designed for road riding...

True 'nuff. I call any tire that isn't a knobby off-roader a "slick." I ride Marathon Pluses, and they aren't a true slick tire. They have a siping tread to them that looks almost like big snake scales. They're "road tires" but not "slicks."
Old 02-22-07, 04:32 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My sig tells what bikes I have. The ones I use most are, in order of preference: 1) the Trek 930 MTB roadified and, 2) the Trek 520 tour bike. Definitely go with slicks. Make 'em skinny, like around 1.25" to 1.37". Inflate them to max in the back and maybe 10% under in front for ride comfort. Eventually, you'll likely have trouble with straight, or riser bars that are nearly straight. There's alot of discussion on bars. I currently use North Roads on the MTB because they work well for carpal tunnel and arthritis issues.

This old MTB is usually fully fendered and has another rack in front. Also, I've installed clipless pedals because when I go out for 75 or so miles they are dramatically better in terms of expended effort. The saddle is built for staying on the bike for hours. I agree that bike shorts would be a good choice.

Old school MTB's can make terrific tour machines.
https://i19.tinypic.com/2cnjbl1.jpg
Old 02-22-07, 08:20 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
IMHO, an excellent tire for that MTB you like to take on the road is a Specialized Hemisphere 26" x 1.9. Its not slick but not nobbie. It runs well on asphalt and hard pack and has enough tread to get in the dirt some as long as its not too technical.

I do a 30 mile ride in the summer that keeps me on black tops and dirt roads and the tire works great.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 08-21-07 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-22-07, 03:58 PM
a van down by the river

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Trek 6500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Hutchinson Top Slick, 26x1, PSI 87-112. Beena good tire, and decently priced, $22 at Jenson

https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...lick+Tire.aspx
Old 02-23-07, 11:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well a quick update here. Went to the LBS and picked up a small bag for under the seat, and some tires. The tires are not slicks, but more of a semi-slick I guess. Still have knobs, but nothing like my stock tires. They go fairly flat at the top so they should help alot while still providing some traction on loose stuff I think.

Heres a cell phone shot of the bike now. Nothing special by any means but just looking at it makes me wanna ride lol

Is it more comfortable to take the stem on the handle bar out so that it sits lower?

Old 02-24-07, 04:09 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Is it more comfortable to take the stem on the handle bar out so that it sits lower?"

That depends on what gives you the most comfort. For me, lowering the bars is a no-go because it puts too much pressure on my wrists and hands. Lots of riders don't have a problem with that.
Old 03-03-07, 04:05 PM
Banned

Bikes: jamis dakar xlt 1.9, weyless sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GT_Rob
haha well it looks like I will be shopping for slicks.

As for water, my buddy has been trying to talk me into the camel pack but for the price I think I am just going to run 2 cages/bottles.

I *hope* to throw everything in a back pack if I hotel it. Is it easier to ride with a rack instead?

I am trying to talk the girlfriend into joining me, but have a feeling ill be going alone. Ill have a phone with me just in case something happens though of course. I am getting excited about it now! I wish the gym was open so I could go spin some miles Damn snow
DON'T LET THE CAMELBACK PRICE SWAY YOU -- GET A HYDRATION PACK AT WALLYWORLD -- ONE OF THE FEW THINGS THAT ARE ACTUALLY USEABLE! I'VE GOT ONE THREE YEARS OLD, STILL GOING STRONG; 2-LITER CAPACITY, ROOM IN THE PACK FOR A 2ND BLADDER, AND THE PACK W/ ONE BLADDER IS ABOUT $30. GO W/ THAT AND ONE BOTTLE/CAGE -- NO SUCH THING AS OVERKILL ON A LONG CLYDE RIDE! I'LL GO THROUGH A LITER OR MORE OF FLUID IN 20 MILES! GO GOR IT, DUDE!
Old 03-03-07, 07:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi-Center line tires

Hi; I have ridden Ragbrai on a Mtb as do many other people. I think Knobbies are best for off-road and if you do a lot of street riding you have already gotten a lot of good advice about changing them out. For my Mtb I prefer a thinner tire (like 1.25) with what I call a high center, i.e. unseparated ridge line (wow what a description). The single unbroken line runs smooth on the road and the narrower tire rolls fast. I have used slicks which were sold to me as "City Slickers" for street riding in NYC. Good tires, smooth and they really grab the road even in rain. But that came with a price - friction. While they are good tires I always thought they required at least 1 gear lower and were harder to pedal. Find what works best for you.
Old 03-03-07, 08:38 PM

Bikes: 2008 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only have one bike, and it is a rigid MTB. I went from full knobbies, to knobbies with a smooth bead, to a new set of 700x32c wheels. The 700x32c wheels win hands down! I noticed a real increase in speed. If your bike has disc brakes, you could use 700 size wheels also. If not, then 26x?? slicks would be the way to go.
Old 03-05-07, 10:40 AM

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcm
"Is it more comfortable to take the stem on the handle bar out so that it sits lower?"

That depends on what gives you the most comfort. For me, lowering the bars is a no-go because it puts too much pressure on my wrists and hands. Lots of riders don't have a problem with that.
Over time it will make you faster (by making you more aerodynamic) and make longer rides easier.

It requires building up leg strength and "core strength." (Abs, obliques, etc.)

What I did was get an adjustable stem and move it down a little every other week or so. Once I was at a spot I thougth was efficient and comfortable, I switched to a fixed stem.
Old 03-05-07, 11:01 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bigpedaler
DON'T LET THE CAMELBACK PRICE SWAY YOU -- GET A HYDRATION PACK AT WALLYWORLD -- ONE OF THE FEW THINGS THAT ARE ACTUALLY USEABLE! I'VE GOT ONE THREE YEARS OLD, STILL GOING STRONG; 2-LITER CAPACITY, ROOM IN THE PACK FOR A 2ND BLADDER, AND THE PACK W/ ONE BLADDER IS ABOUT $30. GO W/ THAT AND ONE BOTTLE/CAGE -- NO SUCH THING AS OVERKILL ON A LONG CLYDE RIDE! I'LL GO THROUGH A LITER OR MORE OF FLUID IN 20 MILES! GO GOR IT, DUDE!
Agreed, I have the Bell Hydration pack as well and it does exactly as well as the camelback.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant