Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

250lbs. Need to know what XC fork to buy

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 02-20-07, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am 250 lbs and am building up an xl frame. I want to run something around 110mm on my hardtail. I would like something that is decently light, but really want something that will stand up to my weight. Any suggestions.
Old 02-20-07, 10:45 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode a Stumpjumper for two years at 230-240 with a Fox RL 80 and it was fine for me.
Old 02-23-07, 10:39 AM
Perma-clyde

Bikes: '05 Stumpy FSR 120, REK TEK Blitzkreig (Commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Marzocchi; One of their 'All Mountain' forks (32mm stanchions), and the option to swap in heavy-duty springs, and bump up the air pre-load. Less expensive than Fox, and available with 20mm axles, for extra robustness.

Whatever you do, stay away from Manitou. I didn't and I was disappointed.
Old 02-23-07, 12:53 PM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a big fan of Marzocchi products for heavier riders. I'm on my 4th or 5th set of forks from these guys and they are/were all awesome.

As a big rider, I will sing the praises of the 20 mm thru axle till I'm blue in the face. Definitely worth the extra money.

My current fork is a 66 with the air pre-load which I was skeptical about. But since it's a low pressure, it seems to be doing just fine for me. I'm running about 12.5 lbs in the left leg (max is 15lbs) and although I'm running a bit more sag, I like the feel. If I bump the pressure to the correct sag height, then it feels too stiff.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 02-23-07, 01:58 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Alox
Marzocchi; One of their 'All Mountain' forks (32mm stanchions), and the option to swap in heavy-duty springs, and bump up the air pre-load. Less expensive than Fox, and available with 20mm axles, for extra robustness.

Whatever you do, stay away from Manitou. I didn't and I was disappointed.
I don't know what your issue with Manitou is but I've had several and they've all worked well for me. I have a Manitou Black on my current mountain bike that's nice and smooth and has taken everything I can throw at it. Works well in cold weather or hot. The lockout on the fork is perhaps the best thing about it.

I have another bike with a Fox Talas that is superb but I'd hate to pay retail for it The one drawback with the Fox is it doesn't work worth beans when the temperature is below 35 F.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-25-07, 08:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Everyone

I just want to thank everyone for their suggestions, but I decided to get a spinner cargo air 20mm. It seems like no one owns one of these yet, but I like the sound of large sanctions and a thru axle. Its a little more aggressive than an xc fork, but I like how it sounds. Thanks again.
Old 04-19-07, 07:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heres is another non manitou fan. I have my bike on the stand with no fork right now because the manitou black took a crap again. I called manitou and they said they know they have a problem with the forks hydraulic'ing and to buy a new internal assembly to fix the problem. The fork was always quarky and now I know why...it was a slow death inside. I tore it apart and inspected it, rebuilt it and a half a block away I could recreate the problem. Im gonna drop it at the LBS and let them deal with manitou while I look for a fox fork and keep the black as a spare.