Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Replacement rims for heavy-duty commuter

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 08:53 AM
Fred

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Super Sp0rt, Trek hybrid, eBike, Xootr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm putting together a commuter with the frame and fork are from an older Trek 720 "Multi-Track" that's being powdercoated, plus most of the components from an old Cignal we had. The bike is often parked in a relatively high theft area so we're trying to keep the cost and sex appeal down. Two of us use it, and both of us weigh well over 200 lbs, plus gear.

We're using 35c width tires. The unmarked rear wheel seems rather heavy - it weighs 5 lbs 3 oz with the 700x35c tire, tube, etc. We think from a spec site that it's a Weinmann 2719. The front was a used replacement - it says Weinman 519 and weighs 3lbs 14 oz with similar tube and tire. The tire is a Panaracer Pasela that's about 250g in that size.

There are plenty of used and new wheels on eBay at reasonable prices, not to mention places like Harris. But it's hard to tell what is suitable for two large humans. And t's hard to tell if the rim widths offered are suitable for the 35c tires. Any suggestions? I don't think it makes sense to spend much over $100 on rims, particularly since we could just keep the old ones for now.
Old 02-21-07, 12:04 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have two wheelsets built on Sun CR18 rims. They are 17.5mm inside width and will be the right size for 35mm tires. You should call around locally to see if you can get them since shipping can be expensive on rims due to the large size package. They have a good reputation for ruggedness. I weigh 260 and have had no problems with them.
Old 02-21-07, 12:11 PM

Bikes: giant ATX 760, Falcon Road Bike (ss) custom marinoni tourismo (full dresser) ,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VELOCITY DYAD.

I had a set of wheels made for my Cross check last year. I ordered them from Greg at super spokes.

I had them made using velocity Dyad rims with double butted 40 spoke in the rear and 36 up front .

good and sturdy!!

Im a clyde, 247lb. I have 35 size tires right now. but will be installing avocet Fastgrip 32 slicks as soon as I get time to play with bike.

'John"
Old 02-22-07, 05:26 AM
Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I'll check those out.

There's a set of the following on eBay for $190 or so delivered:

2006 Shimano XT M760 Front and Rear 32 Hole Hubs.
Laced to Super Heavy Duty Mavic A319 Double eyeletted Rims using Stainless Steel DT 2.0 Straight gauge spokes with DT Brass nipples.

A good choice, or? It's a cyclocross rim and seems pretty rugged.
Old 02-22-07, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
https://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/c/WECRDIM
Old 02-22-07, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Garandman
Thanks, I'll check those out.

There's a set of the following on eBay for $190 or so delivered:

2006 Shimano XT M760 Front and Rear 32 Hole Hubs.
Laced to Super Heavy Duty Mavic A319 Double eyeletted Rims using Stainless Steel DT 2.0 Straight gauge spokes with DT Brass nipples.

A good choice, or? It's a cyclocross rim and seems pretty rugged.
I just picked up a set of the XT-DT-Mavic T520 from the same seller. Older Mavic touring rim equal to the newer A719. Great set of wheels.

Last edited by Lost Pup; 02-22-07 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-14-07, 01:39 PM
Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday I picked up a set of 36H Mavic A319 with double butted spokes and Nexave hubs (used on Trek Police bikes, I note) for $220 at Harris. Elton has been super-helpful there.

For tires I got Schwalbe Marathons, 32mm.