Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Vintage Brake-Lever Installation, No Brake Release Installation

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-07, 07:34 AM

Bikes: No bike at the moment; In process of building it.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm using vintage Dia-Compe Gran Aero brake levers (all white, they're sweet ). But they don't have the "quick release" button on the levers so I can't get any slack when setting up the cable on the calipers. I cannot get the rear brake tight enough at all. I pull the lever and it isn't enough power to do anything to the wheel in any meaningful way. I have been thinking I might use some locking needle nose pliers to hold the cable inside the brake hood/body, set up the caliper and pulling the cable out the front and sliding it into the cable stop holder (it has a slit in it).

Thoughts?
Old 02-23-07, 08:22 AM
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think it sounds like your setting your brakes up improperly.

Do you have any cable adjusters/QR's at the calipers?
Old 02-23-07, 08:33 AM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
I use a clamp to hold the caliper where the brake pads are almost touching the wheel. I then pull all the slack out of the cable and tighten the pinch bolt on the cable. Release the clamp from the caliper and you should be done.
Old 02-23-07, 08:36 AM
Remember Wool Shorts?

Bikes: Gios Torino, Lemond Zurich, Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have a 3rd hand?
Old 02-23-07, 09:01 AM
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No, just two like most people
Old 02-23-07, 09:17 AM
Remember Wool Shorts?

Bikes: Gios Torino, Lemond Zurich, Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loose Screws formerly known as "The Third Hand" company (www.loosescrews.com) used to have a great t-shirt that said "What's the sound of a third hand clapping?". Only bikers knew what it meant.

You can always use a toe strap to close the calipers or a piece of rope or someone with strong fingers to hold it down.

You should check Park tools website, they have demos and stuff there.
Old 02-23-07, 09:22 AM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
If you need just a little extra squeeze on the brakes to get them set right and you don't have the lever quick release, you can remove your wheel and squeeze the calipers together as much as you want. Using the quick release on your brakes (assuming you have one) does about the same thing.

If you can't get the cable taut enough, you may have some constriction in the cable path (housing, kinking, dirt, etc).
Old 02-23-07, 11:22 AM

Bikes: No bike at the moment; In process of building it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by masiman
If you need just a little extra squeeze on the brakes to get them set right and you don't have the lever quick release, you can remove your wheel and squeeze the calipers together as much as you want. Using the quick release on your brakes (assuming you have one) does about the same thing.

If you can't get the cable taut enough, you may have some constriction in the cable path (housing, kinking, dirt, etc).
This sounds like a good idea!

/trying
Old 03-12-07, 12:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same problem with an old set of MAFAC centerpull brakes. No release or adjustment on levers or calipers. https://www.nashbar.com has something they call a CABLE ADJUSTER, but I can't see how it works from their illustration. They look like a couple of short round tubes with several plastic ferrules.There is no description of how it works or how or where it is installed. May solve our problems. Has anyone used this item and can tell us something about it? I may take a chance and get a couple.
Old 03-12-07, 02:19 PM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
I believe that you can install them wherever you have cable housing. you choose the correct size threaded insert for your cable/housing combo and then cut the housing and install them inline. They work the same as the barrell adjusters on your derailers work. By screwing the inserts in or out, you effectively lengthen or shorten the cable housing. Since the cable length is constant, lengthening or shortening the housing will tighten or loosen the caliper.
Old 03-12-07, 02:44 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Screw your barrel adjuster all the way in, release the quick release on the brake caliper if you have one. Hang a heavy pair of vise grips on the end of your cable (protect your frame), squeeze the brakes together with one hand as needed (tug the vise grips), tighten the cable clamp with the other. release the vise grips, return Q/R and adjust with the barrel (if req'd).