Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

derailleur cable routing: full length housing or not?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-07, 12:47 PM
é wot?

Bikes: Gary Fisher Montare, 1973 Bottechia, IRO Jamie Roy,1998 Cervelo Eyre Tri, 1982 Peugeot Sport fixed gear, and some kind of red bike hanging in the rafters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK so I'm building up a new bike with internal cable routing. I have fittings to guide a full-length cable housing. Alternatively I can buy internal cable stops so the housing would be about the same lengths as usual except that the bare cables will be inside the down tube. They're pretty pricey though for a cheapskate like me ($11 each and I'll need four). Would shift quality improvement be significant with the internal cable stops versus full-length housing? $44 worth? The rest of the bits are Dura-Ace barcons and Ultegra derailleurs, Dura-Ace cassette, KMC chain. The barcons will be at the end of aerobars so if I go full-length housing that'll be a long stretch of housing.
Old 02-23-07, 01:25 PM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by yairi
OK so I'm building up a new bike with internal cable routing. I have fittings to guide a full-length cable housing. Alternatively I can buy internal cable stops so the housing would be about the same lengths as usual except that the bare cables will be inside the down tube. They're pretty pricey though for a cheapskate like me ($11 each and I'll need four). Would shift quality improvement be significant with the internal cable stops versus full-length housing? $44 worth? The rest of the bits are Dura-Ace barcons and Ultegra derailleurs, Dura-Ace cassette, KMC chain. The barcons will be at the end of aerobars so if I go full-length housing that'll be a long stretch of housing.
Actually, full-length housing would probably result in better, more reliable shifting if there is any difference at all...if you don't mind the extra weight.

I consider internal cable routing extremely lame, putting styling ahead of functionality.

Sheldon "Protected From The Elements" Brown
Old 02-23-07, 01:29 PM
é wot?

Bikes: Gary Fisher Montare, 1973 Bottechia, IRO Jamie Roy,1998 Cervelo Eyre Tri, 1982 Peugeot Sport fixed gear, and some kind of red bike hanging in the rafters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good enough for me, thanks.
Old 02-23-07, 02:43 PM

Bikes: Recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello:
just be sure to lubricate all of your cables and not with grease, use Triflow or a cable lube.

Thank you
Earl
Old 02-23-07, 05:04 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
I consider internal cable routing extremely lame, putting styling ahead of functionality.

Sheldon "Protected From The Elements" Brown
I sure agree with this appraisal. I had a Trek with the rear brake cable routed inside the top tube and it was an annoying PITA. It accomplished nothing useful and just made maintenance more difficult. Run the full housing and save your money on the adapters.