Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Daughter is a Dancer

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Daughter is a Dancer

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-07, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Daughter is a Dancer

Hi,

My daughter is 14 and is a competitive dancer. She argues with me that cycling will build the "wrong" muscles for her dance career.

I argue that Cycling will give more stamina, stronger calves, stronger thighs, and a better overall fitness.

I tried to google some stuff to the fact but can't find anything.

So does anyone have any information either good or bad as far as dancers riding bicycles.

Thanks.

Last edited by msparks; 03-03-07 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-03-07, 04:41 PM
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Regular cycling doesn't really build muscle at all. Her cardiovascular and muscular endurance will improve, though. Additionally, her dancing will make her a better cyclist! She will be able to go into more aerodynamic positions easily because her dance training has made her flexible and has strengthened various supporting muscles that help the body maintain a comfortable position on the bike.
Old 03-04-07, 09:00 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Competitive dancing takes up more time than cycling. She needs to weigh her time commitments. I think the cycling would not work for her. What's complementary with dancing is gymnastics. In most club gymastics (artistic gymnastics), there is "open gym" and its not competitive.

Many former gymnasts go into dancing.
Old 03-04-07, 10:18 AM
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make a deal with her. If she gets on the bike, you'll spend as much time as she does on the bike, dancing. If this doesn't appeal to you, then maybe you can see how she feels.

Last edited by NoRacer; 03-04-07 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-04-07, 10:41 AM
Pokes On Spokes

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My girlfriend is 20, taking competitive ballet classes (audition only) at UW-Madison, and she disagrees with you.

She used to get somewhat tired near the end of 3+min routines which would lower her own performance -- especially her ability to balance. Cycling mostly improved her aerobic fitness, and toned her other leg muscles (didn't "strengthen" much other than her quads). Actually, she cross trains with cycling.

But, if your daughter doesn't want to do it, she will never enjoy it if you make her.
Old 03-04-07, 11:52 AM
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if she's TRULY competitive, she may not want todo much cycling at all anyway. The overtraining alone might be risky. She should probably stick to the weightroom as her extra activity.

..as much as it pains me to say it.
Old 03-07-07, 10:49 PM
Gios my baby

Bikes: Gios 96, Mercier 72, Peugeot 74 X 2, Sears full suspension High rise banana seat, Kona 94, CCM Rambler 70s.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
She should dance more and cycle less. But to realy x-train she should study a variety of dancing. Jaz, African, Celtic, hip hop... ok no not hip hop, Belly dancing, East Indian, etc. That will bring so much to her game. Seriously. Cycling will do next to nothing for her if she puts cycling time into dance time instead.

Cycling is a good x-training tool for other things like hockey, figure skateing, x-country skiing, swimming, downhill skiing...
Old 03-09-07, 01:08 AM

Bikes: '06 Specialized Allez Expert

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're wrong. Her calves, thighs, etc. are going to build up strength nicely from dancing as is, but cycling tightens some things you need to be flexible to dance well, such as hamstrings and hip flexors. She'd be better off building up stamina and getting in better aerobic shape through swimming, though most dancers I know tend to be in pretty tremendous shape.
Old 03-09-07, 03:39 AM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took five years of Class in Ballet while having been a cyclist for decades. Had a few classes in other competative dance forms as well. Very different set of reflexes and muscle patterns needed. As long as she is healthy and not too thin I'd leave her alone. I spent the last two of those years working with spandex clad teenage girls in the Pas de Deux classes because they were so short of any kind of men or boys with any kind of dance training. Oh how I regret not having started 50 years sooner. As cycling fit as I was I could rarely keep up with them. Having girls who would never talk to me in High School throw themselves at me, catching them in mid air, and holding them over my head is a memory I will never forget.
Old 03-09-07, 04:50 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings
Having girls who would never talk to me in High School throw themselves at me, catching them in mid air, and holding them over my head is a memory I will never forget.
I don't know whether to be sad or sorry for you