Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

ĦQue horror!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

ĦQue horror!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-07, 05:13 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ĦQue horror!

My "new" Trek is in the shop getting modified. My Cypress had something wrong with the brakes that I couldn't figure out (as has been mentioned, I'm not mechanical) and the back tire wouldn't rotate freely. I know the LBS can fix that in a nanosecond.

So I was "forced" to ride my Trek MTB with the knobbie tires today. Wow, what a bunch of flashbacks that was! I can't believe I rode that thing 800 miles before even getting slicks, including a metric century!

I felt so slow, and noticed that the tires made quite a different sound on the road. Plus it felt like I was spinning more to go the same speed.

After a while, it was just pure fun again, just as it always was, way back in '05 when I first got bitten by this bug. And now I remember why I have so many bikes. Cheap bikes, yes. But I like 'em!

Knee didn't complain, either. Woohoo!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-04-07, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rehab worked !!! Not to mention all the advice that was shoveled on top of your difficulties. Ahhhh...back in the groove, what a feeling!
Old 03-04-07, 08:50 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Where'd you find the retro bike shoes in your avatar?
Old 03-04-07, 10:19 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Where'd you find the retro bike shoes in your avatar?
That's actually a funny story (at least to me). I was driving back from the first doctor, an orthopedic surgeon, who told me I'd probably need surgery and at least an MRI (out of my pocket), and feeling sorry for myself.

I was driving past a Shoe Pavilion, and said to myself, "Self! You're feeling sorry for yourself. You need a pair of genuine, accept nothing less, 100% Converse All Star low top shoes to help you feel better."

So I went in, spent 30 minutes debating color (almost go the green, then the red, before finding these), and bought the shoes. I love 'em. Even bough (gasp!) those tiny socks that don't even cover my ankles. First time for those.

Anyway, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Old 03-04-07, 11:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
So I went in, spent 30 minutes debating color (almost go the green, then the red, before finding these), and bought the shoes.
You made a decision

A) By yourself

and

B) In thirty minutes???
Old 03-04-07, 11:55 PM

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoe enough
Old 03-05-07, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
That's actually a funny story (at least to me). I was driving back from the first doctor, an orthopedic surgeon, who told me I'd probably need surgery and at least an MRI (out of my pocket), and feeling sorry for myself.

I was driving past a Shoe Pavilion, and said to myself, "Self! You're feeling sorry for yourself. You need a pair of genuine, accept nothing less, 100% Converse All Star low top shoes to help you feel better."

So I went in, spent 30 minutes debating color (almost go the green, then the red, before finding these), and bought the shoes. I love 'em. Even bough (gasp!) those tiny socks that don't even cover my ankles. First time for those.

When I was a kid in the 50's, I got a new pair of Converse All Stars at the end of May, each year. They had to last all summer which was tough, growing up in the country, as I did. By September they were usually trashed by horse manure, mud, brambles etc. Mine were always black canvas with white rubber. I don't remember any other colors available in sneakers, or as we called them, "tennis shoes".
Old 03-05-07, 07:00 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Next time remember the women's solution to this situation. Just buy a pair in each color

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 03-05-07, 08:44 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
When I was a kid in the 50's, I got a new pair of Converse All Stars at the end of May, each year. They had to last all summer which was tough, growing up in the country, as I did. By September they were usually trashed by horse manure, mud, brambles etc. Mine were always black canvas with white rubber. I don't remember any other colors available in sneakers, or as we called them, "tennis shoes".
Yup,
Chuck Taylor Converse All-Stars (black) was a staple of my youth (ute). I was just telling my kids about them yesterday. They suggested I needed them for dodging dinosaurs.
Old 03-05-07, 08:56 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My mom hesitated to buy me white "hightops" because they showed dirt and grass stains more than the black. When I convinced her that the cool kids had white, my happiness was complete. Then, the mark of being a cool and advanced pre-adolescent changed to white lowtops. Mom made we wear out the white hightops first. I mistreated them as best I could.
Old 03-05-07, 08:58 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All this shoe talk has me nearly convinced to go back and get a second pair!

Old 03-05-07, 09:05 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
I never owned a pair of Converse - you couldn't attach your roller skates to them

I did have a pair of white tennis shoes for gym class but don't remember the brand. The big thing for girls was Spaulding black & white saddles. Loved those things.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 03-05-07, 09:14 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Chuck was too wide for my long, narrow feet. Now PF Flyers fit just great!!!!
Old 03-05-07, 11:45 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
All these names of trainers and I have to admit that I am not fashion conscious. I look in the shop and if I like the look of them- I try them on. 15 years ago I bought my first trainers and I was Ostracised by my daughters. They were " Hitec" and I presume that are as big a NO_NAME over there as they are here. Then I bought a pair of Converse and they were not as comfortable as The Hitec. Being a Mountain biker- I went to a Bike shop and they had Van's trainers. Got a pair and my daughters did not know the name so trouble again- till the boyfroends asked where I got the Vans as they are not available in the UK. Then followed a couple of pairs of Reebock black leather trainers that I love.

I still have 4 pairs of trainers in the garage but for some reason- the pair that have disappeared are the Hitec's. Girl power in my household made them get lost within 6 months of buying them.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-05-07, 11:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
I never owned a pair of Converse - you couldn't attach your roller skates to them
I had strict parents who made me wear hard leather shoes to school. It was a drag...but I could clamp skates to them, so that was my revenge!!!

Last edited by Big Paulie; 03-05-07 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-05-07, 02:24 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
What was the original question?

Edit- Not a question so it shows how much I read the OP.

DG you are confusing me- Now about those Downtube shifters?

Spike Milligan
Old 03-05-07, 04:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Chuck was too wide for my long, narrow feet.
That was the first line of a ribald, 19th century French novel by Madamoselle Beauchamps. The title escapes me at the moment...