Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy two new jackets for our tandem riding...

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 03-05-07, 04:14 PM
GO Floyd Landis, Go!

Bikes: Sears Tandem (Free Spirit), Cannondale Tandem, Cannondale R-300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

should they match?....and I know there were a few posts on other forums concerning brands but I take the tandem group more serious than the others....so what is your favorite jacket and why? I ask alot of questions only because of my ignorance.
Old 03-05-07, 04:24 PM
Co-Mo mojo

Bikes: 06/07 Co-Mo Speedster, Cannondale Synapse, SR 800, Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite rain jacket is a Burley, made until September 2006 when the company decided to make only bike trailers. Rumor at that time was that some company in Portland might pick up this part of the business, but I've heard nothing since then. This jacket is really waterproof, good ventilation, great side pocket and front zippers, bright yellow and black with reflective strips, long arms and tail, and very comfy.

Favorite all around jacket is a DBC race team jacket -- I don't recall the manufacturer but it is made of ripstop nylon with mesh underarms and side panels. It breaks the wind as well as my Pearl Izumi jacket but offers much better ventilation and takes half the volume when taken off and stuffed into my jersey. Might be made by Voler?

Should they match? Well, that's a whole different matter.... Function and size first, matching second. But we match!
Old 03-05-07, 04:52 PM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
With regard to matching apparel, from the archives: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...tching+apparel

My favorite jacket? Don't have one as there are as many reasons to like different riding garments as their are weather conditions....
  • Our school-bus yellow, 02 rain jackets on those days when the skies look threatening, then dump... mostly for warmth and protection from the wind as even these very breathable jackets turn into Sauna Suits.
  • Our Double Forte, Verge Wintertec jerseys... it can be a jersey or a jacket depending how you layer it. However, from the 30's to the 50's there's nothing as cozy.
  • My mid-90's vintage REI fleece winter jacket with wind break material on the facing sides with matching pants for those below 35 degree outings (which are now far and few between). However, it comes in handy now and again.
Beyond that, everything else plays a bit part in layering on to suit the weather. All of my shorts, knickers, and tights are bibs so I've always got some upper body protection which is usually layered with a micro-mech tank top (warm air barrier) or a nice base layer, long sleeve undershirt from my goody bag at STR '05, then either a long-sleeve jersey with or without a wind vest, my wintertec jersey, or a combination of short-sleeved jersey with arm warmers, wind vest, and outer garment when the temps may change rapidly throughout the day.

From another post... having been cycling for many years and now nearly 10 years with Debbie you can find yourself with a lot of "stuff: https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...63&postcount=1
Old 03-05-07, 05:54 PM

Bikes: Cannondale RT1000; Santana Ti 700; Co-Motion Speedster, Co-Motion Cappuccino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We layer also to keep the cold out, but when it's real cold (yes, it gets cold in Florida) or a threat of rain we'll put on our Performance IllumiNITE jackets. They are water resistant and also breathable so offer comfort for a lot of nasty conditions. The men's and women's jackets don't match, but that's no big deal with us.
Old 03-05-07, 07:09 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
Favorite jacket is Peal Izumi. We have vests, windbreakers and rain jackets. Matching...sometimes. Our rain jackets do not match because Pearl Izumi made different colors for men and women . Do we choose to match? Depends...T'Geek's referenced thread covered every possible combination and permutation as to why people match. We do not feel that we must match. We do feel that we must ride...a lot.
Old 03-05-07, 07:37 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a lovely Cannondale jacket in silver & blue, with detachable sleeves (= a vest) and a handy zippered chest pocket. It's waterproof, windproof, and fashionable. My husband has a bright blue PI jacket with similar functions. They look nothing alike. Sigh.

In my perfect world our outfits would match or at least coordinate. But that's me, the geek. My husband is much more relaxed in how we look on the tandem & cares not a whit what others think, as long as we're comfortable.

I have no advice for you save to find a compromise with which you both can live.
Old 03-05-07, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done a lot of research, having been caught out in the rain all day on a week long tour more than once. The best I could find, with a ton of glowing reviews, is the Showers Pass Elite 2.0. I haven't had it out in the rain yet, but it doubles as a cool weather jacket. Their website (https://www.showerspass.com/) has been down for awhile with some issues, but other companies carry them, such as Boure Bicycle clothing (https://www.boure.com/8554.html or Adventure Cyclist https://https://adventurecyclist.org/store/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=545. Prepare for sticker shock...$210.00 (they make a couple of lower level jackets as well).

Last edited by Zonker; 03-05-07 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-05-07, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have two pairs of matching Descente element Jackets and one pair of Pearl Izumi Yellow windbrakers. The element jackets are very well made, of fine materials and very functional for temperatures above 40 F.
Old 03-06-07, 11:17 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Our rain specific jacket favorite is the O2 Cycling . . . bright, waterproof, pit zips, waist tie-down, zip rear pocket, mesh lining . . does what it's advertised to do.
Have about a dozen jackets/vests, anything from a 1980s C'dale with windstopper front and arms to Tyvek (the material that feels and looks like tissue paper) but is a real windstopper, to some great looking Route 66 and Kokopelli Tandem jackets from Kucharik. Even have a couple of old jackets loaded with event patches from rides back in the 70s, 80s, 90s.
Ater decades of tandeming, got lotsa stuff, and yes, most of it matches!
Old 03-07-07, 06:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was wondering if those that like to match vs that those don't had any connection to those that pedal IP vs those who pedal OOP. TG you must have researched this

I can't say I have kept track of all here who ride OOP, but at the least I see Rudy and his wife, don't follow the about way. They match but ride OOP.

I do like matching on the bike.. but we do not make sure everything matches. We often don't match though. We find we often ride in different amounts of clothes.

Right now our favorite jacket is a Louis Garneau. It is a lightweight jacket[but not as light as some shells] It is windproof, and breathable, It handles a bit of wet comfortably, wet I am not sure if it will keep you dry in a downpour. It is not an 80 degree rain jacket. it is a cooler weather jacket.

glenn
Old 03-07-07, 04:42 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
While we usually match we do ride OOP (Ah, but matching cadence)!
Old 03-07-07, 04:55 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fenlason
I was wondering if those that like to match vs that those don't had any connection to those that pedal IP vs those who pedal OOP. TG you must have researched this

I can't say I have kept track of all here who ride OOP, but at the least I see Rudy and his wife, don't follow the about way. They match but ride OOP.
We pedal OOP and dress OOP, too.
Old 03-07-07, 05:01 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
OOP always, matching usually, cadence and speed the same (except I get there first) power output in watts/kg at LT pretty close
Old 03-07-07, 07:22 PM

Bikes: Cannondale RT1000; Santana Ti 700; Co-Motion Speedster, Co-Motion Cappuccino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fenlason
I was wondering if those that like to match vs that those don't had any connection to those that pedal IP vs those who pedal OOP.
We ride OOP and dress IP.

Last edited by transam; 03-08-07 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-07-07, 07:29 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot, X-Caliber WSD, Rockhopper, Allez vita, miyata triplecross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I replaced my old (2nd-hand) burley rain jacket with one from Showers Pass. They have some jackets that look, pretty much, identical to the burleys. The one I have is a lower end 2-ply one (I was more interested in packability than a heavy-duty version). I've been very happy with it's performance. It vents well, and has kept me dry in Oregon rain. It doesn't have a stay-dry inner lining, so it does feel a little clammy. I believe the 3-ply doesn't have the clamminess problem. I think it was around $80
Old 03-07-07, 07:37 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot, X-Caliber WSD, Rockhopper, Allez vita, miyata triplecross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rider
We pedal OOP and dress OOP, too.
We'll never match. He wears 6 layers and rarely sheds. I wear 4 at the most and usually shed down to 2. He wears shoes, I wear sandals. He has a white helmet, I have a blue and white one (the bike is bright green). The only thing that matches is our waterbottles.

Yeah, we are WAY OOP when it comes to dressing!