Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why won't they just make. . .

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why won't they just make. . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-07, 02:33 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks again, Stapfam. I know which way to turn the pedals, so they're just tight. I did call REI to make sure they hadn't locktigted them. They didn't, and they didn't come up with a custom pedal/crank using all right, or all left threads. They claim they didn't do that either, which I believe.

I have no problems with scrapping the pedals and getting a good 6 point socket on them (they're hex), or even drilling them out. If the LBS isn't interested in endangering that aluminum crank, I'll drive back to Albuquerque next weekend.
Old 03-12-07, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chances are the LBS will use a Park PW-4 (other similar brand) pedal wrench.
https://www.parktool.com/products/det...27&item=PW%2D4
Mine has not failed me in ANY stubborn pedal removal yet......
Old 03-12-07, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can swing a few dollars more, check www.rivbike.com for some of Grant's 650B-wheeled bikes. I'm 6'4", and the one I rode was so neat, even though it was far too small, that I tried to convince him to make them in bigger sizes. He says a 64cm bike would look silly on those little wheels.
Old 03-12-07, 08:40 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
You got it, Thrifty. That's the tool my hometown LBS let me borrow. It worked, so apologies to REI. It was one of those good experiences, all around.

Now, ah, the pedals weren't that tight using the right tool. Maybe it's a magic tool, and maybe, just maybe I got my sides confused because I was working with the bike upside down.

Good thought, Velo Dog, but it wouldn't have been "a few dollars more". With the March REI 20% discount, it would have been double the money over the REI Randonee, and all I would have had was the frame. I did give quite a bit of thought to the Surly LHT, and one of the Salsa frames. Maybe I should have; I don't know. I do know that another bike is not on the forseeable horizon.
Old 03-12-07, 11:53 PM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 267 Posts
"I'm not aware of anyone offering a recent vintage, lighter weight mixte, but perhaps someone did (or even does)."

Its not recent, but Motobecane made the Grand Touring as a Mixte as well as the standard diamond framed tourer. Most I've seen had Vitus tubing & were a pretty nice ride. There was one on Seattle Craigs list recently & someone had one up for sale on the bulletin board at my LBS also, so they are out there. Don