Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

If you have a driving record, is it a good one?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-07, 12:07 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

One of my co-workers said that I must be a pretty crappy driver, since I don't have a car. Actually, I had a couple accidents the first year I drove. Since then, I've driven quite a lot (unfortunately) and my driving record is absolutely clean. No accidents or tickets in 30 years of driving. (I still drive about 10 miles a month to take my elderly dad to doctor appointments, etc.)

Not braggin', just testifyin'.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-08-07, 12:17 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No accidents in 30 years, no tickets in 25.
Old 03-08-07, 01:12 PM
Biscuit Boy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over 250,000 miles on Alaskan highways, year round. Never hit so much as a moose. But I'm completely sick of it.
Old 03-08-07, 03:30 PM
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Three accidents in 15 years of driving that were my fault, and one that wasn't (old lady broad-sided me) so I guess I wasn't a very good driver, no. Oh well. At least I'm off the road!
Old 03-08-07, 04:30 PM

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, driving records. Well, according to the odometer on my car, I've driven just over 30,000 miles in 5 (almost 5.5) years. That's not including all those times I drove my parents' cars, nor the time a classmate of mine fell asleep at the wheel of her car while we were heading back to Orange County from San Diego in the middle of the night. I had to take over for the rest of the drive home there.

I had one fender bender with two cars. Some cell phone yakking teenage airhead rear-ended me, causing my stopped car to push forward into the old lady in front of me. The airhead took off (hit-and-run) and the old lady yelled at me and blamed everything on me, despite my showing that I was rear-ended before I crashed into her! Stupid teenaged airheads on their cell phones

I crashed into walls 2 times, but I didn't let my auto insurance or the DMV know about those, and fixed them with money out of my own pocket. I have a "good driver" discount from my auto insurance right now, but it's still costing me almost $2,000 a year, because I'm under 25

Oh well. I just have to survive until graduation. Then I'm movin' to Seattle and selling this money sucker
Old 03-08-07, 05:28 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have averaged around 40k a year for the past 11 years, no tickets or wrecks. Before that the last ticket was a bogus one in Prince William County VA. They had just paved the road and the lane stripes weren't in. I got a ticket for driving on the shoulder...it was dismissed. One before that was in 1979

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-08-07, 05:44 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
My last ticket was in 1983. That's when I learned about radar detectors.

I was in an accident that was my fault in 1975. Too fast making a right turn in the first snow of the season. Skidded right into a town snowplow.

In 1991 I was stopped at a red light and a teenage girl with a three-week-old driver's license plowed into the back of my car. No injuries, I drove home. Her mom's car was toast.

My license expired a year or two after I went car-free in 1999. I'd moved twice and the renewal notice never caught up with me, and I never had occasion to check the expiration date, until I tried to rent a car on a trip. That was embarrassing. And inconvenient.

My license had been expired long enough that I had to start all over again with the written test, learner's permit, five-hour course, and road test. Just got it last year. Still have no intention of owning a car.
Old 03-08-07, 10:36 PM
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine is good, but it is kind of a requirement
Old 03-08-07, 10:41 PM
Banned

Bikes: jamis dakar xlt 1.9, weyless sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
last at-fault accident: 1987, in Germany; no cost, took out a german-shepherd-sized deer, buddies fixed my hood (while i worked) w/o my knowing it.

last ticket: 1977, passed a motorcycle, apparently too close, got slapped w/ reckless driving by motorcycle cop from 3 blocks back.

last car : 2004, engine puked. junked it & haven't looked back.

have been asked a few times about dui, just laugh and tell them my driving record is better than theirs -- i'm usually right.
Old 03-08-07, 11:59 PM
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nothing on my record since age 20. As a teenager, I had 2 speeding tickets and was T-boned once - not my fault.
Old 03-09-07, 12:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turning 29, clean record for 10 years
Old 03-09-07, 03:53 AM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm willing to bet the co-worker says rude things like that to others. If it happens repeatedly it is harrassment and can be actionable. If it happens again proceed Verrry carefully.
Old 03-09-07, 07:01 AM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I got my DL when I was 26 in 1978. Never had an accident. I hope this doesn't jinx me.
Old 03-09-07, 07:17 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
No auto accidents of any kind in 44 years of driving cars in Europe and the US. Only ticket in the last 10 years was for running a red light, on a bicycle.
Old 03-09-07, 09:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Technically, my record is perfect. I say technically because I got one ticket while driving home from TN that was later removed because of my attendance in driving class... totally stupid really... I was going down the highway in my turbo VW Beetle [which got traded for a Jetta - bad idea!], I reached down to the floorboard of the passenger side (yes, I could still see the road - don't worry!) to get a fast food bag so that I could deposit my used napkin into it. The leaning forward caused me to depress the gas pedal just enough and combined with traveling down a hill - well I got up to 83 in a jiffy!

This happened a little over two years ago. Now I would just toss the napkin into the back seat
Old 03-09-07, 09:33 AM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Clean record. But then I've hardly ever driven in my life...
Old 03-09-07, 09:41 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I bought a shiny red Firebird in '72, and immediately went out and got my first and only speeding ticket. I did get my one and only fix-it ticket in the same car in '83(headlight out). Needless to say, the car is now relegated to status of garage queen. I have never received any tickets while riding any of my bicycles.
Old 03-09-07, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
a couple speeding tickets, no accidents since started driving in 1997.
my tendancy is to drive like i bike - fast as i can while keeping it safe. speeding tickets were on wide-open, deserted roads. no one at risk. The more i bike, the less likely i am to get another ticket.

oddly, i run red lights & stopsigns all the time on the bike, cops have seen me several times and don't care. there's so few bikers in N Texas it's not a traffic issue. i fugure if i get runned over it's my fault - guess they figure the same!
Old 03-09-07, 09:55 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
...not my fault.
That what they all say!
Old 03-09-07, 11:06 AM
Designated Drinker

Bikes: '04 Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm such a good back seat driver, that I haven't even been a passenger in a car involved in a collision.
Old 03-09-07, 11:48 AM

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot to mention in my previous post:

I've never gotten a ticket before, either for speeding, or for running red lights in the car (and I've done plenty of both, mostly as a teenager). I guess Southern California police are pretty lax about enforcing automotive laws

Or maybe I'm just able to spot them before they see me committing the evil deeds. The only time I ever had to deal with a cop in a traffic-based situation was when a CHP officer came in to check if I was okay after the hit-and-run by the blonde bimbo mentioned in my post above. He was very straight forward and kind, compared to stereotypes I've heard about cops before.
Old 03-09-07, 12:09 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
No auto accidents of any kind in 44 years of driving cars in Europe and the US. Only ticket in the last 10 years was for running a red light, on a bicycle.
That's the way to go. I haven't received a bike ticket yet, but I've only been riding 5 years. I've run stop signs in front of cops, and gone through a red light (after stopping) in front of one. But no ticket, warning, dirty look... nothing. Makes me feel like they don't care.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-09-07, 12:41 PM
My bicycle is fixed

Bikes: '08 Surly Steamroller, '07 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
No tickets, no accidents. Been a driver for 15 years. I just did the math and it looks like I've driven somewhere around 175,000 miles in my life, though in the last few years, I rarely get behind the wheel.
Old 03-13-07, 01:50 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
No tickets in over 30 years of having a driver's license. Only accident was one in which an elderly gentleman rear ended me because he was not keeping an eye on the road, and that happened about 6 weeks after I got my driver's license. I still don't know how I avoided being seriously hurt, as I was waiting to make a left turn and he pushed me right into oncoming traffic. I still have the traffic accident report somewhere in the house!

East Hill
Old 03-13-07, 07:02 PM
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perfect driving record here. I've never received so much as a parking ticket. I have a perfectly good Jeep Wrangler (and my girlfriend has a new Dodge Neon) so cars are always a turn of a key away. I just prefer to ride if possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.